PDA

View Full Version : What browser wars? The enterprise still loves IE 6

anon
05.05.09, 00:40
This news may come as a shocker to the tech-savvy folks in the house, but 60 percent of companies use Internet Explorer 6 as their default browser, according to Forrester Research. Meanwhile, your IT department spends a decent amount of time erecting barriers to prevent browser upgrades. Bottom line: companies need a browser policy, or they will risk productivity losses.

Welcome to the wonderful world of enterprise browser adoption. While the tech press spends a lot of time talking about Web 2.0 and even 3.0, Corporate America is on Web 0.5.

To be sure, there are good reasons for the enterprise reticence on browsers--they're a security risk. However, too few IT departments have a browser policy, and they sure don't think through potential productivity gains with advancements such as tabs, faster processing, and JavaScript engines and better search features.

What browser wars? The enterprise still loves IE 6 | The Download Blog - Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10231713-12.html)

Dynamic
05.05.09, 07:29
You know what is funny?!!!

My department uses IE still and yet when we call into Tech Support they all tell us to use Firefox...

Yet, when I try to use FF, the system admin won't let me...

Funny, funny.

anon
05.05.09, 16:12
You need to have a word with your admin :cool:

I remember reading about someone's company prohibiting the installation of IE4 (back when it was released) due to its security holes, but now this... :eek: