PDA

View Full Version : Intel face greatest fine in EU history

anon
05.05.09, 00:38
Business analysts predict that Intel Corp could be in line for the single largest court-ordered fine in European history, in a case regarding anti-competitive practices put together by the European Union. The EU is currently investigating the chip manufacturer for many misdemeanors, including offering discounts to manufacturers that use Intel products, as well as encouraging them not to use rival company AMD's hardware.

"I would be surprised if the fine isn't as high or higher than in the Microsoft case," States Howard Cartlidge, head of the EU competition group at law firm Olswang in London, told The New York Times. "Technology markets are where the European Commission has perceived particular problems due to dominant companies."

The legal analysis estimates that the fine could in fact far exceed €1,000,000,000 - double the €500,000,000 fine heading Microsoft's way. This follows a guilty verdict that has already slapped Intel in Japan and Korea and is a joint effort between EU and US Federal Trade Commission investigators.

TechConnect Magazine - Intel face greatest fine in EU history (http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?id=26187&catid=6)

SomeGuy
05.05.09, 00:51
And where does that one Billion euros as fine go after the EU takes it?
I hope it goes to the poor. It seems like it will be divided between lawyers and politicians, so I object! :confused2:

slikrapid
05.05.09, 02:13
And where does that one Billion euros as fine go after the EU takes it?

want the diplomatic version?

it will go into its budget where it will be deployed for further support of its establishment benefiting all EU countries :wink2:

looks like the US Federal Trade Commission investigators could get a piece of the pie

but seriously, these figures are beyond ridiculous :rolling_eyes:

yoco
05.05.09, 10:15
Great news! :tongue:
Intel sucks anyway!

fooltoo
05.05.09, 12:10
Great news! :tongue:
Intel sucks anyway!

uh, what?

Intel sux? How come?

splicer