PDA

View Full Version : Why Pirates Buy More Music and Music Labels Fail

anonftw
29.04.09, 01:51
Why Pirates Buy More Music and Music Labels Fail

A handful of studies have shown that those who download music illegally actually buy more through legal channels. But why? Are pirates really this generous or could it be that this is just a side-effect of the failing music industry?

In the past we’ve documented studies that showed how the majority of artists sell more music thanks to piracy and that those who download (more) also buy more. Last week another study was added to this ever growing list, arguing that pirates are 10 times more likely to buy music than those who don’t.

So why do pirates buy more music? The simplest explanation for this finding might be that people who are not interested in music don’t have the need to pirate or buy it. I have to agree that it’s not the the sexiest, most controversial or inspiring answer, but it does tell us something about the core of the piracy ‘problem’.

From TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/why-pirates-buy-more-music-and-music-labels-fail-090428/)

Dynamic
29.04.09, 04:55
I have to agree with this statement. I have bought a lot more music in different categories because I was exposed to them when I was trying out new downloads...

I hate buying an album when only 1-2 songs were good and the rest sucks so bad...

yoco
29.04.09, 10:19
Same here! I first download and listen the album(s), then if I like it I buy it! :biggrin:

anon
29.04.09, 19:11
From FileShareFreak

I think you mean TorrentFreak? :biggrin:

anonftw
29.04.09, 21:33
I think you mean TorrentFreak? :biggrin:

LOL Correct :eek: I had too many tabs open. :biggrin:

By the way, I almost never buy albums anymore without listening to them first. The exception of a few bands that I always support because I know I like their music and ideas.

splicer
29.04.09, 22:38
I prefer to buy CDs of unsigned bands; they're the ones who need my money most. Agreed, everyone should get paid for their work; professional or not, but the basic fact is that bands like Metallica can afford to give their music away for free. Prince has realised this, and look how successful he is. Though that's not to say I don't buy CDs from signed artists, just, if I had £12 and a choice to go for an unsigned band or a signed band, I would go for unsigned.