PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Profit Falls for First Time in 23 Years

DarkSaint
27.04.09, 23:18
Fresh off one of the worst quarters in company history, Microsoft offered investors little evidence that a beleaguered personal computer market would recover anytime soon.

Read more : http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/24/technology/companies/24microsoft.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

SBfreak
27.04.09, 23:23
where is the
read more link?

anon
27.04.09, 23:24
Right next to "read more" :wink:

SealLion
28.04.09, 06:02
You know it's not the current economic conditions that may have resulted in MS losing some coin for that company's first time in 23 years, it's also, at least IMO, the fact that there's a number of other OS out there. Not just Linux and other Unix OS like OPENBSD, which from what I understand is supposed to be the most secure OS out there.

All these different OS, being introduced to the consumer, gives pple much more flexibility and options for what OS they'd like to have on their computers, yes??

I mean, take the above example: OPENBSD. So it's the most secure OS. Well who the hell want's MS when it's consistantly handing out security updates and prone to a plague of virus's, yes??
Why not get something like a unix system.

I got a kubuntu OS CD in the mail recently, and I think that I'm going to try it out and partition it next to XP.

It's all these other OS, unlike VISTA from what I hear is plagued by bloatedness, that have a much smaller kernal and take up a lot less RAM.

Who wants Vista when you've got to have something like 2 GB or what-ever amount of RAM to run it when there's a plethora of other OS available that take up much less, yes??

No wonder MS is losing $$$. The current economic concern's are one thing, it's the company's competion that's taking a bite out of it's shares, too.

It's like FF and SeaMonkey. For those that use the web on a consistant basis, yes people will see that there are alternatives to browsers and of what those browsers offer in comparison to IE, yes??

Anyway's, I think that this quote from the link kind of give's( perhaps???) an example of MS's competitioin:

...... And on the horizon, you have Apple and Google who appear ready to introduce their own take.....

With MS being as closed-up as it is as a company and of it's operations with it's product line, no wonder some of it's product line is failing.

YOu can read just about anywhere on the net how many company's are choosing linux-based OS for their computer's usuage.
It's the options of improved security and a whole lot more.
What company wants it's computer's potentially plagued by the latest virus.

Yes, I know that linux based virus's are out there. But there's a lot less than there are MS- based virus's.

And a whole lot less OpenBSD based virus's than there are other unix-based virus's. Considering that OS security, now that I"m thinking of it, I just might go and have another look at it.

I can't remember what initially turned me off from it but I think that I am gonna go and have another look at it.

The other reason akin to the product-line example that I made above includes it's Office Suite. Who want's to pay $150.00 bucks for some office suite when you can get AbiWord, StarOffice, and Open Office completely for free and even have them come as portable office suites??

You know that these alternatives to MS exist.

So is it any wonder that MS is losing coin??

Maybe it's like most other things in life: One learns the hard way. Maybe it's the same with business's, yes??

an4rew
13.05.09, 15:41
Some people think Microsoft are untouchable but they really need to be capitalizing on the market right now before Google take over if they ever bring out a good OS.

SealLion
14.05.09, 02:10
..... before Google take over if they ever bring out a good OS.

I don't understand. What do you mean??

Windows bring out Win7 or Google getting into the OS business??

anon
14.05.09, 20:07
The latter, I think.

Google has already coded a Linux-based OS (as well as a file system), but it's private.

SealLion
15.05.09, 04:20
Anon, are you talking about this here??:

Google at work on desktop Linux ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/31/google_goes_desktop_linux/)

That's fairly impressive.

I like that.

What will it do for Windows?

Maybe force Win to expand into making smaller based OS that have a small kernal.

Better security, too perhaps.
Maybe even co-operation btw Win and one of the Unix OS in some enterprising way.

That would be interesting to see.

anon
15.05.09, 14:55
Anon, are you talking about this here??:

In part: they have also made their private Linux-based "GoogleOS".