PDA

View Full Version : AMD shows the monster

DarkSaint
27.04.09, 03:46
here is how the 12 cores amd's beast looks like, 48 cores in a box, i could use one.

intel is in deep trouble, because hyperthreading makes nehalems so power hungry that this feats are out of reach for them. furthermore i think intel will end up dumping hyperthreading before the boat sinks.

AMD Demonstrates Twelve-Core Microprocessors - X-bit labs (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20090424224319_AMD_Demonstrates_Twelve_Core_Microp rocessors.html)

SealLion
27.04.09, 05:45
I went to the link. Very interesting, I thought.

alpacino
27.04.09, 09:46
Very interesting news, I wish I had one processor like that :biggrin:

anon
27.04.09, 18:53
48 cores... :shockkk!:

Liked the Task Manager-like pic. :smile:

Mihai
27.04.09, 19:00
Lol.I don't even have a dualcore and i've seen a 48 core.Maybe i will have money to buy it some day :tongue:

kelly
27.04.09, 19:27
From the hardware's perspective every month we get to see a new architecture surpassing the previous both in computing power & size of the respective hardware.. but when we look from a software's perspective forget 48 cores.. heck even a fully quad optimised mainstream software is no where to be seen.Of course there are few applications built specifically for CPU stressing...... but for an average gi joe....why do you need such a monstrous power? :smile:

DarkSaint
27.04.09, 23:16
That's what im thinking aswell, u dont need to use 48cores, even if u doing progamming, rendering stuffs etc.. most to most u need just only quad-core.

Maybe unless if u added other stuffs like msn, dling, gaming all together.. maybe; just maybe.. u need 8 cores.

an4rew
13.05.09, 15:19
I think its AMD turn back at the top.

slikrapid
13.05.09, 20:45
impressive number of cores, i wonder how bigger the power requirements are for such a monster, also - are the single cores slower than their quad-core counterparts

even if today's software mainly doesn't support multi-cores it would be good to have at least a program that would disperse cpu computing power between open applications - making everything balanced and smooth-running

SealLion
14.05.09, 01:30
....it would be good to have at least a program that would disperse cpu computing power between open applications - making everything balanced and smooth-running

I have to agree. I think that would work out quite well.

I like that idea rather than one program hogging all what the computer has.

anon
14.05.09, 20:17
Rest assured that with 48 cores and such a program/capability to unformly spread load among them, your computer should never slow down or lock up again. :smile:

slikrapid
15.05.09, 00:32
if i remember it correctly some german computer magazine (PC-Welt?) was offering such an dual (multi?) optimization program some time ago

your computer should never slow down or lock up again

at least one core should be sufficient to allow a win restart :wink:

anon
15.05.09, 00:41
You mean the Dual Core Optimizer? I googled it and could find some news articles and download links, but there's no mention of it in on AMD's Web site, and doing a search there yields no results.

at least one core should be sufficient to allow a win restart

A reset button is enough. :biggrin:

slikrapid
15.05.09, 01:18
You mean the Dual Core Optimizer

could be, at the time nothing else similar to it was available, i think it only came with the zine

A reset button is enough

hey! i don't want to lose my data :wink:

anon
15.05.09, 01:19
hey! i don't want to lose my data

I'll give you that one. :smile: