PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7's Unfixable Glitch

splicer
26.04.09, 15:17
April 24, 2009 - This week the world's leading cybersecurity professionals gathered in Dubai at the Hack In The Box Security Conference to discuss the state of the industry, identify new threats, share pro-tips, and play Dungeons and Dragons. Ok, probably not that last part, but you get the point; high-nerdery was clearly afoot at the Sheraton Dubai Creek. One of the more prominent topics of discussion was Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows 7. While a number of exploits and potential vulnerabilities of the system were discussed at the conference, one identified loophole in the system has security professionals troubled…and morbidly fascinated.

The first paragraph doesn't give away much, so here's a sub heading:

Researchers claim new operating system's boot up sequence is flawed and completely unfixable.

IGN: Windows 7's Unfixable Glitch (http://gear.ign.com/articles/976/976242p1.html)

anon
26.04.09, 19:13
The upcoming Windows 7 being able to be silently hacked as it boots? This doesn't speak well of Microsoft.

supermarrioh
26.04.09, 20:29
Nearly every System is vulnerable while booting, especially when you got hardware-access to the machine. (Hardware-access is needet for this hack)
There are some different ways to gain direct memory access if you have hardware-access, and then no one can rescue you anymore, no matter if you are mac, linux or windows.

SealLion
27.04.09, 01:00
I think that supermarrioh may be right b/c according to the comments section at the link, it's not necessarily an OS fault, moreso a hardware problem. It's the machine that is at fault.

I didn''t know this. That's actually quite interesting, I think.