Category: Music
Number of Users: ~ 94300
Number of torrents: ~ 282000

Categories

http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=3498

Browse Page

http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=3497

PU Invite Forum

In a subforum of the PU forum invites to other sites are offered.
For example the staff of SCC or x264 offer unlimited invites to their sites, but users can also offer invites to other sites if they want to.
Trading or Requesting is not allowed!

kazuya
15.04.09, 13:32
i looked now at stats on What.cd and there were 477,039 torrents:shockkk!:

shoulder
15.04.09, 13:33
According to their stats there are, but you can only browse ~ 282000. :tongue:

SBfreak
15.04.09, 13:46
Be careful what you wish for Mihai because they are member of TAC.Meaning if you get banned there for cheating you get banned on other trackers too.I got a TL Ip ban because of them:mad2:

shoulder
15.04.09, 13:49
No they're not a member of TAC. :tongue:

TAC is a german cooperation between TS, myTorrent, HDSource. :wink2:

Mihai
15.04.09, 14:01
Be careful what you wish for Mihai because they are member of TAC.Meaning if you get banned there for cheating you get banned on other trackers too.I got a TL Ip ban because of them:mad2:

If i can get an invite i probably use it wisely

shadowww
05.07.09, 12:08
Hm i didn't know where to post this. Maybe it was even mentioned before but i didn't see it, It can help people seeking access to this traceker, its not big news or something for new thread i think so i decided to mention it here.

I heard reports of some people who recently successed to enter tracker this way. Its all about interview at IRC. You come at IRC, they ask you few questions and if you pass you are in. Here you can find more info: What.CD: A Beginner's Guide (http://whatinterviewprep.webs.com/howtojoin.html)
I personly got my invite from a friend long time ago so didn't try this method... but, i will repeat: i know people who get into this way.

Good luck.

cheatos
05.07.09, 12:15
Hm i didn't know where to post this. Maybe it was even mentioned before but i didn't see it, It can help people seeking access to this traceker, its not big news or something for new thread i think so i decided to mention it here.

I heard reports of some people who recently successed to enter tracker this way. Its all about interview at IRC. You come at IRC, they ask you few questions and if you pass you are in. Here you can find more info: What.CD: A Beginner's Guide (http://whatinterviewprep.webs.com/howtojoin.html)
I personly got my invite from a friend long time ago so didn't try this method... but, i will repeat: i know people who get into this way.

Good luck.

i got it through there :top:, still i am trying not to cheat and seed,
but no one is downloading from me :frown:

Mihai
05.07.09, 12:18
Why don't you try the waffles method.That's how i got power user there.
Oh and i heard they are giving BCG on the elite forum so that is my next move,becoming elite.

cheatos
05.07.09, 12:27
Why don't you try the waffles method.That's how i got power user there.
Oh and i heard they are giving BCG on the elite forum so that is my next move,becoming elite.

i don't know if that will work,
and you know cheating at What.cd is no kidding,
get banned and then get a global ban :frown:

and also the staff who invited me was very kind, i feel stupid :stupid: to disappoint him..

i guess i'll take a look at the what.cd cheating @ the talk forum :biggrin:..

Mihai
05.07.09, 12:39
I cheated and i am power user on what.cd.The waffles mathod works great, believe me.

cheatos
05.07.09, 12:45
I cheated and i am power user on what.cd.The waffles mathod works great, believe me.

i'll try, but with which tool?
Vuze extreme mod ?
with speed++?
or RatioMaster with the memory reader?

and AFAIK you'll need to upload 5 albums to become a power user :eek: ?

shoulder
05.07.09, 12:49
5 torrents I think, this doesn't mean they need to be albums.

Mihai
05.07.09, 13:31
Yup.try some comics.It's the easyest way.

anon
05.07.09, 18:45
Programs could also be fine. About this:

It's already been posted on the "How to join What.cd" thread at FAQ & Tutorials. I have also added some of the questions you may be asked on the interview. :smile:

shadowww
17.07.09, 20:49
aw aw aw. Why ffs nobody mentioned that RM doesn't work there at all. I'v been reading how RM is undetectable if used correctly but still i got cought.

It was the latest version, 1.8.7 dl-ed from here, was memory reading my utorrent 1.8.2 and was downloading via both real client and spoofing with RM at same time (different torrents of course). I'v done good preparations for it, choosed torrents with at least 10 real leechers, and speed was about 50 kb/sec upload 300kb/sec download. I was also member for at least 3-4 months. But ghostleeching only and keeping my ratio at 0.10 :/

What an agony. My first ban for cheeting ever. Just hope it will not spread to some other trackers i use. :/

So, yea.. maybe someone mentioned it in some other thread but this forum is not so small place, it is easy to miss it. So now there is report here.

Just one more thing: i got ratio watch activeted after few minutes becouse i finally left "protected" usergroup (group with dl-ed more then 10GBs) so maybe that drew some attention but i can't know for sure...

Long story short: i screwed, don't use RM there!

anon
17.07.09, 20:51
It does work. You just need to run it on the right torrent. The RM can only fake download - this means most likely you were seen downloading while no one else was uploading to you.

What often (but not always) shares info with some trackers, including BCG, x264 and SCC. Prepare for the chain to start :biggrin:

shadowww
17.07.09, 20:59
I'm not at any of 3 trackers you just mentioned so let them share with them.

And it was not CSS leak for sure.

Maybe it was fact that i faked 3 torrents with RM and downloading 2 torrents for real at the very same time?

But still im pretty sure i chosed decent torrents to fake on. :/

anon
17.07.09, 21:00
Maybe it was fact that i faked 3 torrents with RM and downloading 2 torrents for real at the very same time?

...which should be no problem if you use the memory reader, which you did. I'm inclined to think they noticed you were *faking* download on the RM torrents.

shadowww
17.07.09, 21:09
Hm yea. So advice would be to fake only on already downloaded torrents? What i did was started 5 torrents from 0% at once (3 RM+ 2 real).

anon
17.07.09, 21:10
So advice would be to fake only on already downloaded torrents?

Either that, or use something that can leech and cheat at the same time, such as the Extreme Mod.

classyboy
18.07.09, 18:04
All said and done, I still prefer to cheat using only xtreme mod. Of course it's necessary to build a buffer, but for me, I have a static IP, and this acc is precious, so I use only xtreme mod, and cheat only what I download. Sometimes, they have zero leechers, so I keep it on for days, and somehow, when someone leeches, I manage to build up ratio. Just being cautious on what and waffles.
RM cannot cheat intelligently, you have to be on complete alert, especially on what and waffles. Xtreme mod, once settings done, you need not cross check, it will do its work in the background.

sudaraka
28.07.09, 06:26
tracker is great ,speeds are super but only way to seed is cheat ...even a seedbox can't do the trick

Empoleon
28.07.09, 07:54
Either that, or use something that can leech and cheat at the same time, such as the Extreme Mod.

Isn't it safer to always spoof completed torrents, just the process I go by.

anon
28.07.09, 17:56
tracker is great ,speeds are super but only way to seed is cheat ...

Or upload your own torrents. There's always a seedbox ready to take them. You can also upload an existing album in V2 if it's just in V0 and FLAC, for example.

Isn't it safer to always spoof completed torrents, just the process I go by.

Well, I did that with the What Toolbox last year. But it has a lot of partial seeders.

shoulder
28.07.09, 17:58
As long as it's a Scene-RLS you can start faking without havint it snatched before, but it doesn't hurt only to fake on already snatched torrents. :wink2:

Empoleon
30.07.09, 09:44
Well, I did that with the What Toolbox last year. But it has a lot of partial seeders.

Can you please explain the use of the "What Toolbox", unknown to it.

anonftw
30.07.09, 10:12
The What Toolbox is a freeleech torrent on What.cd of various utilities ...or it at least used to be.

alex0912
30.07.09, 15:05
I cheated from day 1 over there with vuze :p

anon
30.07.09, 17:49
The What Toolbox is a freeleech torrent on What.cd of various utilities ...or it at least used to be.

It still is! :wink: It has proportionally "a lot" of leechers compared to other What.cd torrents, but bear in mind most will be partial seeders. I could always successfully make a big buffer on it in the past despite this.

IceBox
30.07.09, 18:39
It still is! :wink: It has proportionally "a lot" of leechers compared to other What.cd torrents, but bear in mind most will be partial seeders. I could always successfully make a big buffer on it in the past despite this.

By actual uploading or cheating?

anon
30.07.09, 18:40
Cheating :biggrin:

And that's strange, because often I'd leave the RM on for hours, while other people got banned for faking on the Rosetta Stone torrent after half an hour.

sbrocks
04.08.09, 09:18

on average how many GB do u fake per day?

shoulder
05.08.09, 03:09
giselle? :biggrin:

I guess you're talking about Gazelle. :tongue:

Haggar
05.08.09, 22:25
Hi, that toolbox is horribly outdated, they should upload a new one. Is sad to see a site with such a great content with almost 100.000 members full of just seeders and people afraid of downloading what they want because they know that would be very difficult to upload back. They have to download crap to mantain an acceptable ratio. It's an unhealthy torrent site.

jacksbi
08.08.09, 04:57
its easy to cheat with vuze mod

what speeds will work on ratio master and mratio?

SealLion
08.08.09, 07:52
Hi, that toolbox is horribly outdated, ......

I'm sorry, but what 'toolbox' are you talking about??

alpacino
08.08.09, 10:49
I'm sorry, but what 'toolbox' are you talking about??

I guess it's a toolbox torrent full of windows apps.

anon
08.08.09, 17:43
The What.CD Toolbox, a set of programs for users to make their own rips.

jack20201900, I wouldn't fake download, and keep upload below 100kB/s.

Haggar
09.08.09, 02:06
Yes, that's right, i was talking about the whatcd toolbox.

Churchill
31.08.09, 16:00
What.CD is not the easiest site to cheat on simply because there are so few proper leechers. The way to cheat on there is to use the Waffles Tutorial. However, beware, clean your cookies before you try and cheat from this site. They have a tracker cookie that they place and if you login with another account on that computer it flags them. Almost always an instant ban.

Don't mess with TedMaul ... if he responds find another mod.

dreamer
03.04.10, 23:31
so... BUMP!
I'm thinking about getting a what.cd invite through an interview but I have to ask myself is getting what.cd worth the trouble?
I'm already at Waffles. never searched something and didn't find it. is there a point in getting what.cd? more seeders and leechers on torrents? maybe better invite forums?

also.. would I pass an interview showing 20 KBps upload rate and censoring usernames from pictures of other torrent profiles?

anon
03.04.10, 23:32
It's the best music tracker in the world - it has more torrents and users than Waffles. Of course, if you already have latter and are happy with it, I see little incentive to look for a What.cd invite, not to mention Waffles is easier to cheat on.

As regarding for the interview, can't help you with that.

caballero
05.04.10, 02:09
what is bad about the interview?

jamesbanned
05.04.10, 04:52
what is bad about the interview?take a look at hydrogenaudio: there is a lot of complex, and specialized, information there. read the guide, follow the instructions, try to avoid obvious cheating (familiar, right?) and you might earn an invite. this is all just what the guide says, and i passed on the first try.

ask yourself these questions:

-do i know what lossless and lossy codecs are?
-have i heard of LAME?
-do i know what a transcode is?

if you are confused, then read the guide more. and you can always find people to help with the concepts. :smile:

dreamer
05.04.10, 10:21
does the interview consist only of knowledge questions?
I've heard you need to show connection speed too. what about other trackers' profiles?

anon
05.04.10, 13:11
Here are some examples of the questions you're asked during the interview:
http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?threadid=7924

There's also a dedicated help site here:
What.CD: A Beginner's Guide (http://www.whatinterviewprep.com/)

Yes, you're required to prove your status on other trackers. This was the main deterrent for me to get invites from IRC. Now it's the fact my country is banned from the channel.

caballero
07.04.10, 19:57
is the majority of their torrent FLAC?

if it is....... a 1TB is needed

anon
07.04.10, 19:58
No, they offer most albums in several formats and qualities (MP3 192, V2, V0, 320; FLAC normal and 24-bit, OGG, etc.).

caballero
07.04.10, 20:01
since you're more familiar with it:
which one do you prefer, What.cd or waffles?

anon
07.04.10, 20:02
The regulars here will tell you I prefer What. Album suggestions :happy:

Nobody
07.04.10, 23:32
is the majority of their torrent FLAC?

In addition to what Anon said, they also have a very robust request system. If I remember right something like 65% of all requests are filled.

caballero
17.04.10, 14:47
What torrents over there will result in a high upload speed (don't tell me torrents with a high number of leechers because we all know this isn't good enough:wink:)?

SBfreak
17.04.10, 15:36
Look out for popular album releases on the internet.
Like lady gaga,Kanye West or something.In any case,popular:tongue:
Then wait for it to be uploaded on what.That torrent will certainly give you a ratio boost.

caballero
17.04.10, 15:52
Look out for popular album releases on the internet.
Like lady gaga,Kanye West or something.In any case,popular:tongue:
Then wait for it to be uploaded on what.That torrent will certainly give you a ratio boost.

Thanks, but if you look at the Rosetta Stone packs, it is popular. However, they warned from downloading them because most of the leechers are partial seeders so you won't get any ratio boost. Albums on the other hand, they might have the same problem as the Rosetta Stone packs. Lady Gaga's album for example has 165 leechers, added one week ago, isn't there a chance that lots of them are partial seeders?

Edit: Lady Gag's album has 165 in total (all releases and formats). The highest is 67 (MP3 V0)

SBfreak
17.04.10, 17:33
I wasn't talking about already uploaded packs/torrents. All big packs there have partial leechers and you can never know.
Plus some of them like Rosetta are being watched.

anon
17.04.10, 17:48
Lady Gaga's album for example has 165 leechers, added one week ago, isn't there a chance that lots of them are partial seeders?

Considering we're talking about What.cd, probably all of them are. However they're great for cheating on with the Waffles method, faking ~3x the torrent's size.

tokiodrift1
26.06.10, 18:43
what.cd info:

DNS Update
We've had an update to tracker.what.cd. Your DNS should resolve it to 67.21.232.225. Please restart your clients, flush your DNS and/or update your hosts files as necessary.

anon
26.06.10, 18:44
OpenDNS <3

berci
26.06.10, 18:49
since you're more familiar with it:
which one do you prefer, What.cd or waffles?

Very Good What.Cd or Waffles

but it is much easier to upload wafflest :wink2:

tokiodrift1
27.06.10, 00:35
What.CD is the best Music Tracker,
but Waffles is also very good.

---------- Post added 27.06.10 at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was 26.06.10 at 19:52 ----------

Stats

* Maximum Users: 150000
* Enabled Users: 128300
* Torrents: 849700 (!)

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/705/001eg.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8899/003gv.jpg

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1802/002zjy.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9008/004qq.jpg

Regards,
~td1

mangathala2002
08.07.10, 06:57
I checked what.cd it seems that the donation system is down. I was wondering if you donate will they give invites+buffer or only invites?

Instab
08.07.10, 07:05
What.CD is the best Music Tracker,
but Waffles is also very good.

except for electronic music. techno guys might wanna go for other sites.

fakeking
08.07.10, 07:20
I checked what.cd it seems that the donation system is down. I was wondering if you donate will they give invites+buffer or only invites?

Only invites :wink2:. Why do you want do donate? To get some love from them :tongue:

anon
08.07.10, 15:44
I was wondering if you donate will they give invites+buffer or only invites?

No upload credit (nor immunity from the rules), only two invites.

mangathala2002
09.07.10, 05:58
Why do you want do donate? To get some love from them :tongue:

lol no. One of my friends wanted to donate on my account and give him a invite

Noname03
18.07.10, 20:43
What.CD is the best music tracker but we can have an account here per IP (in our life)

shoulder
18.07.10, 20:52
Like in almost every other tracker too. :wink2:

CSS
18.07.10, 21:31
I 've been banned
Reason: I am cheating..
But I have not cheated there :(

anon
18.07.10, 21:32
What do you want us to do? :lol:

shoulder
18.07.10, 21:42
Tell them. :P

vDD+wR
18.07.10, 21:44
I 've been banned
Reason: I am cheating..
But I have not cheated there :(

Too bad to hear this, but since this is a cheating board, you understand we don't have too good connections to tracker staff. :D
Even though a few amongst us are known in their IRC-channels. ;)

Resurrection
25.07.10, 07:47
I use what.cd too...

But don't worry.Nothing to get upset about.

There are not many things on what.cd or waffles that aren't available 'outside'...

As a matter of fact there are some public forums/blogs/site that are phenomenal and will get you whatever you want...You just have to look...

Instab
25.07.10, 08:13
As a matter of fact there are some public forums/blogs/site that are phenomenal and will get you whatever you want...You just have to look...

indeed, music wise och is a leagü of its own these days :D

anon
25.07.10, 18:52
There are not many things on what.cd or waffles that aren't available 'outside'...

But I have already created a rep with What.cd's staff! In the beginning, we were like <333, but then the <3 counter went like, too high, and now they're all </3, and acting accordingly. Integer overflows :dry:

Also, which forum/blog provides LAME V0 versions of all albums at high speeds, as well as a similar artist map? :frown:

What.cd is like Google: they hold data forever and blatantly invade your privacy you aren't forced to use it, but you can't say no to their service's quality. Unfortunately there's no Whatoogle that I know of :dabs:

If you don't understand anything of what I'm saying, just read the second paragraph. :lol:

Instab
25.07.10, 19:05
which forum/blog provides LAME V0 versions of all albums at high speeds, as well as a similar artist map? :frown

actually almost all forums and blogs i'm using for that offer not only V0 but 320kb fixed rate stuff. and i don't know about your ears but i can't tell the difference between V0, V1 or V2.
no artist maps tho but in my experience these are not exactly reliable anyway.

that aside what and waffles suck on edm. blogs and forums don't :happy:

anon
25.07.10, 19:08
actually almost all forums and blogs i'm using for that offer not only V0 but 320kb fixed rate stuff. and i don't know about your ears but i can't tell the difference between V0, V1 or V2.

I prefer V0 over 320CBR, not because of the VBR or quality but the reduced filesize. Although by that same rule I should snatch everything in V2 and probably wouldn't notice the difference.

no artist maps tho but in my experience these are not exactly reliable anyway.

I use them to discover new stuff, even if they aren't very reliable :happy:

Instab
25.07.10, 19:32
I prefer V0 over 320CBR, not because of the VBR or quality but the reduced filesize.

dös it make a big difference? :unsure:

I use them to discover new stuff, even if they aren't very reliable :happy:

sure, dösn't hurt

anon
25.07.10, 19:33
does it make a big difference? :unsure:

The small difference can quickly accumulate when you have a huge music collection :)

dreamer
25.07.10, 22:33
I hear ya.. 320 is pain in the ass :\
talking about empty kilobytes..
less space, less size to download.. and don't tell me HDDs are cheap nowadays.. as you add more HDDs you also need a better PSU !

crystal
25.07.10, 22:57
i know about 0daymusic , but are there are other extremely good music forums/sites anyone could recommend which can be compared to what,waffles,demoniod etc .

saebrtooth
26.07.10, 03:24
search the public trackers, they also have some gems

Instab
26.07.10, 03:26
search the public trackers, they also have some gems

same gös for demonoid

anon
26.07.10, 18:04
are there are other extremely good music forums/sites anyone could recommend which can be compared to what,waffles,demoniod etc .

If you're into lossless, Rutracker is a great resource. Their uploaders openly "steal" files from the bigger names like Pedro's and Exigo, where they're very strict with quality.

And it's still a nice site even if you don't download FLACs - there are many music packs (lots of 320CBR), and all of them are well-seeded. It's also very easy to upload (by leaving your client seeding, I have no idea of how to upload your own torrents) over there.

Resurrection
27.07.10, 07:04
FLAC is overrated...The difference between good 320 kbps rip and FLAC is very subtle...Anyone who says there is a stark difference between the two,is just too amped up by the fact that they spent 50MB instead of 5MB for a song file.

I am crazy about music and consider myself an audiophile.I have a pretty nice MUSIC SYSTEM at my home and the only way you can find a difference in quality is if you are concentrating hard and are LOOKING for a difference...

But when your disk space gets eaten up quickly,you start to look at the bigger picture...

Anyway if you are into metal,go to bunalti com ...Its the ONLY site you'll ever need for any tyoe of metal/rock ...Also I use a LOT of blogs that specialize in specific genres like indie or female-fronted-metal or Goregrind or Jazz...NO TRACKER will ever allow you this kind of variety...And ofcourse TPB,Extratorrent,torerntz will do the job for you...

Also you know the first rule of internet "GOOGLE IT"

coolio256
29.07.10, 14:21
can someone answer the questions from the interview for me ? :D I don´t understand everything in their wiki because my english is not perfect ... I will cheat wisely:DUnbenannt.JPG - ImageBanana (http://www.imagebanana.com/view/k13i8b9c/Unbenannt.JPG)
Unbenannt2.JPG - ImageBanana (http://www.imagebanana.com/view/5809csfw/Unbenannt2.JPG)

Instab
29.07.10, 14:25
can someone answer the qüstions from the interview for me ? :D I don´t understand everything in their wiki because my english is not perfect ... I will cheat wisely:DUnbenannt.JPG - ImageBanana (http://www.imagebanana.com/view/k13i8b9c/Unbenannt.JPG)
Unbenannt2.JPG - ImageBanana (http://www.imagebanana.com/view/5809csfw/Unbenannt2.JPG)

your english sounds quite good to me here. at least good enough for the interview. and for some words try one of the countless online dictionaries :happy:

coolio256
29.07.10, 14:37
oh a big work for me to translate the whole wiki ..

Instab
29.07.10, 14:38
oh a big work for me to translate the whole wiki ..

nah, not the whole wiki. you can find almost all info you need on wikipedia in many languages

anon
29.07.10, 18:33
can someone answer the questions from the interview for me ? :D

OK, just because you're special and I l- wait, that's on Waffles.

1. V0 has a higher bitrate. Avg. ~240Kbps vs. V2's ~190Kbps.
2. Lossless formats don't remove any audio data from the file. As far as quality is concerned, they're an exact copy of the waveform. Lossy formats, in turn, do remove certain data, such as high frequencies the human ear can't hear, as well as "masked" sounds. This makes the files much smaller at the cost of being unable to recover what is lost from a lossy file alone.
3. Not much as far as listening is concerned. They just use different algorithms to compress audio without any losses. Some lossless formats aren't supported by certain players, also.
4. FLAC, i.e. Free Lossless Audio Codec.
5. Lossless: FLAC, ALAC, APE/Monkey's Audio. Lossy: MP3, AAC, OGG.
6. True. The reason is that other encoders lack LAME's quality presets, including V0.
7. CBR stands for "Constant BitRate". CBR files offer, as the name says, a constant bitrate "spread" through the whole file. For example, a 320 CBR file would keep a steady bitrate of 320Kbps through its whole length. VBR stands for "Variable BitRate". Such files have a bitrate that, name-wise, varies through the file. High bitrates are used for sections that require more quality, and lower ones for those that do not.

I'd like to tell you a few things, also:

we have other sample interviews here (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f59/how-join-what-cd-7924/#post60088).
half of question 8 isn't visible, can you upload another screen?
don't copy & paste the stuff I just posted on IRC, or WhatMan will take that nifty ~ out of his nickname and slap you with it.

coolio256
29.07.10, 22:38
first THANKS! I know theres a thanks button but thanks again!
I dont have another screen:(
ok I wont copy & paste... (Y)

anon
30.07.10, 00:02
(Y)

Are you serious? :wtf:

Sorry, I just hate MSN. :happy:

coolio256
30.07.10, 00:33
its usefull because most my friends have it ...:D

Großmutter
30.07.10, 01:01
best you change the answer a little!
not copy & paste!

anon
30.07.10, 01:01
Specially since my post in this cheating forum is visible to everyone.

Großmutter
30.07.10, 01:04
Specially since my post in this cheating forum is visible to everyone.

that's what I wanted

Resurrection
13.10.10, 07:55
Hey can you imagine if the waffles method was called the what method?

Hey dude,what method do I use to cheat on what

What method

What method?

What method

What method do you use?

What

huh...what?

what...

What the fffffffuuuuu??

http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=8391

anon
13.10.10, 15:33
Solution: call it the What.cd method

Mihai
13.10.10, 18:33
Solution: call it the What.cd method

No way!Never!

caballero
17.10.10, 23:17
The Story of What

What.CD is a private tracker. Thus, the entire site, staff, and community all revolve around a common piece of software - the tracker backend. Complementing the site frontend, which you're looking at now, the tracker itself handles connections between peers.

With over five million peers, our tracker receives an average of 3,500 hits per second, although after a period of tracker downtime, load can spike up to past 12,000 hits per second. This means that, when your client announces, the tracker has 80 microseconds to search through its database of over 900,000 torrents and 5,000,000 peers, compute a response, and send it back to you. That's a lot of stress on a piece of software!

We anticipated this problem, of course, back before the site even started. That's why we elected to use what was then the fastest private tracker backend in the world - XBTT.

Lauded for its speed, XBTT handled the peers very well for the first few months of the site's existence. We brought on a developer - asm - whose job was to tune it and modify it as needed, and he was able to do that just fine - for a few months. However, asm was reluctant to make any major changes. When we asked why, his response was that XBTT's code was too weird, and that he was afraid he'd break something.

A bit surprised, we lead site developers peered into the bowels of XBTT for the first time, and we found that he was correct. XBTT's internal code worked fine in practice, but strange/outdated design decisions and the inclusion of thousands of lines of unnecessary code gave us worries about how well it would scale to a swarm of the size we had planned, as well as whether we'd be able to continue modifying it to our needs.

So a plan was formed. We would create a tracker of our own.

Late winter 2007

It made perfect sense. We were already replacing the outdated TBDev source with our own new Gazelle source, so why not replace XBTT with another piece of software as well? Make it fast, make the code pretty, give it a cool-sounding exotic animal name, and we'd be set. It couldn't possibly take very long - trackers are very simple pieces of software, after all. The only problem was that XBTT had scared asm into hiding, the other developers were all php developers (php is a language that is fast to write and slow to run) and we wanted the tracker coded in C++ (slow to write, fast to run). The solution was thus to outsource.

January 2008

Our first developer choice was a young developer called rootkit. Immensely intelligent, but perhaps not the greatest people person in the world, rootkit decided that he wanted to write the tracker in haskell instead. We weren't too excited to have the tracker written in a weird language that no one understood, but he promised that it'd be fast so we let him go at it. We don't think he ever wrote more than a hundred lines of it before he gave up and stepped down.

While we searched for a new developer, WhatMan decided to try an experiment - to see if a php tracker could outperform XBTT. He hacked away for a weekend and created Lioness - a beautiful little tracker, no doubt one of the fastest php trackers ever made. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite fast enough for our needs - upon testing, the swarm crushed our poor webserver, and we were forced to go back to XBTT.

By this time, XBTT was barely able to keep up with the load. The timeouts had already started, and we did whatever we could, but in the end, the only thing that really helped was when we moved to our new (then) ridiculously oversized server in Canada.

March - May 2008

Another developer had been found! The guy was smart, mature, well educated, fluent in C++, and seemingly very able. We told him what we needed, and he started coding. A month later, the new dev - lenrek - had created the first tracker to call itself Ocelot.

lenrek's ocelot looked promising. It was new, shiny, and multithreaded. We figured that our problems were solved, but when we tried it out, it exploded. It is still unclear exactly why, just that it happened. That ocelot was tweaked and some more tests were run, but we eventually gave up. lenrek's ocelot was basically shelved, and attention turned, for the next year, back to making XBTT handle its load properly.

Fortunately for us, lenrek stayed on as a developer - although his ocelot didn't succeed, he's responsible in a large part for making the site work as well as it does today.

June 2009 - February 2010

In the next year of stagnation, ocelot was never quite forgotten, but working on it was never very motivating - especially with only one tracker dev. So we raised the XBTT announce interval from 30 minutes to 35, then to 40, then to 45. In the meantime, the idea of ocelot waited until we found someone to revitalize it. In June 2009, FZeroX found such a person - rconan.

rconan was incredibly intelligent, and came up with a plan for what everyone was pretty sure was going to be the most awesome tracker ever. High performance event queues, hashmaps, all that cool stuff. We outsourced the project to him, he started coding, and initial progress was very rapid.

Two hundred changes and additions to rconan's new ocelot were made between the months of August and October. Before we knew it, the new ocelot was all but finished - 4,000 lines of divine C++ code, with just "a few" bugs and features left to code. And then, rconan's real life started to get busier.

A couple of changes were made in November, a couple in December, one in January, and a final flurry of activity took place in February. When we asked for progress updates, ocelot was still a few bugfixes and features away from being ready for production, but no changes were ever made after February. As none of our in-house developers had been closely following the development of the new ocelot, we were unable to take over, and simply hoped that rconan's real-life obligations would clear up and he'd have the time to finish it.

In the meantime, we had raised XBTT's announce interval to the highest point we could justify - 47 minutes - and it was still timing out so often it became a joke. In April 2010, we gave it its own server and started load balancing multiple instances of it - starting out with 2 XBTTs, and then 3, and then 4. This gave us some breathing room, but not for long.

April - May 2010

At one point, A9 and oorza were arguing about java performance. A9 had the brilliant idea of daring oorza to write a high performance tracker in java, and work began on shadowolf. oorza proclaimed shadowolf "almost completely done" on May 12th, save a few outstanding bugs. We checked in on his progress at the end of August, and he was rewriting the entire plugin architecture, and considering using hadoop to store peers. We're unsure about shadowolf's current status.

August-September 2010

No updates had been made to ocelot in eight months, and rconan was nowhere to be found. The future of shadowolf was unclear. When a thread came up about ocelot in the forums, the staff were forced to admit that development on it had ceased, and that no update was liable to take place in the near future. It was a hard post to write, considering how the timeouts had become so bad that the joke wasn't funny anymore. Users would sometimes have to wait hours for the tracker to let them download things, stats were being lost left and right, and we were out of hardware to throw at the problem. Something had to be done.

Enter WhatMan. Having previously stayed out of the C++ tracker development arena due to a lack of confidence with his high-performance C++ coding skills, WhatMan was confused with as to why everyone was creating 4000+ line of code behemoths when trackers are, in reality, extremely simple pieces of software. So he lifted some key design choices from rconan's ocelot, created the rest of the design himself, and spent the last week of August hacking away at a brand new ocelot.

On September 1st, ocelot was ready for performance testing. We replaced one xbtt instance with it, and it scaled. So we replaced two, and it scaled. We tweaked it a bit, and then replaced the third and fourth instances, tweaked it a bit more, and replaced the load balancer. What four XBTT instances and a load balancer were failing to handle before, was now being handled by one, singlethreaded instance of the latest ocelot.

Then we pushed it harder - we lowered the announce interval to 40 minutes, and then to 30, and it scaled. Then we lowered it to 20 minutes, and linux broke before ocelot did. It was beautiful.

The dev team rejoiced, and banded together to add the remaining features and fix the remaining bugs. By September 3rd, ocelot was considered feature complete, and we let it run the entire swarm - one tracker for five million peers, at a 30 minute announce interval.

September 2010 - Now
Since then, ocelot's been purring along. It uses up 20%-30% of one CPU core, and 3GB of RAM - for comparison, our four XBTT instances used the same amount of RAM in total, and 50%-100% of a core each. It's 1547 lines of code long in total, which will be open-sourced at some point. The dev team has added the occasional bugfix, and there may be some bugs yet to be discovered, but our tracker is now more stable than it's been since we started. After over two and a half years, ocelot's journey to creation is finally finished.

I wonder how much they will hide.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Why do I have a feeling that this has already been discussed here :sneaky:, maybe because the story is 5 days old!

anon
17.10.10, 23:23
Why do I have a feeling that this has already been discussed here :sneaky:, maybe because the story is 5 days old!

*checks memcached*

Nope. TorrentFreak did make an article about it, though.

Esperanza
18.10.10, 10:47
I passed several interviews on what.cd for me and others. You have to read ALL the dedicated page anon posted and understand everything on it. Interviews questions vary a lot and the interviewers themselves have quite différent methods. For example, some ask you the very same question in different ways to be sure you're not just quoting something. Its a bad idea to just get there with the intention to copy/paste. Basically you have to know all about:

1) Lossy and lossless compression: Formats, specificities and things you can do or not when transcoding
2) Generalites about torrent and DHT (private trackers dont want it activated, but you have to understand why)

Also, some interviews accept minor mistakes while others wont.

anon
18.10.10, 14:54
2) Generalites about torrent and DHT (private trackers dont want it activated, but you have to understand why)

Why must DHT be disabled? Because most if not all tracker staff don't know any better on that regard, apparently. Neither DHT nor PEX apply for private torrents, and Gazelle trackers will even set the private flag for your uploads, in case you forget it. :gmellow:

Now on topic, a word for potential interviewees: study everything carefully, and don't be afraid of failure. On What.cd, I looked at the interview questions, and thought "I'll never know this". Now, while I'm not an expert on the matter, nor have I ever taken the IRC interview myself, I've helped many other users with their doubts, and they performed flawlessly. I thought I'd never be able to upload my own torrents, also - was too afraid of doing things wrong. Now I have plenty of uploads on all my accounts, all of them music. It's not that hard, really!

Esperanza
19.10.10, 14:19
Now I have plenty of uploads on all my accounts, all of them music.

You sure are the lovelyest cheater !

anon
19.10.10, 15:40
Thanks, you're so sweet. :gtongue:

I could have worked around the uploaded torrents requirement by simply upping ebooks and the like, but would have felt bad about it. So I uploaded many music albums, and I'll say it's quite nice to see people comment to say thank you. :gsmile:

caballero
19.10.10, 20:19
Now I have plenty of uploads on all my accounts, all of them music. It's not that hard, really!

ooh, we're losing someone to the what side :D (A joke obviously, since 'sharing is caring' and a 'good' cheater will only cheat when it's impossible to make a legit ratio (eg. ISP))!

By the way, did you make a good ratio out of your uploads. I gave up on better.php a long time ago (no time + it doesn't work fast) and I have nothing to rip and upload, so I can't use the method you posted

anon
19.10.10, 20:24
ooh, we're losing someone to the what side :D (A joke obviously, since 'sharing is caring' and a 'good' cheater will only cheat when it's impossible to make a legit ratio (eg. ISP))!

I uploaded mostly to meet the next user class requirements, so I don't know if it counts as "caring". :gtongue:

By the way, did you make a good ratio out of your uploads. I gave up on better.php a long time ago (no time + it doesn't work fast) and I have nothing to rip and upload, so I can't use the method you posted

Take any 2010 album (that isn't on What.cd already, of course), and upload that. It'll seed 1:1 for sure, perhaps even more if you have a very fast upload speed. FLAC would also be a good idea, if you're willing to spend more time and HDD space.

You should ideally seed everything 24/7, also. You never know when someone will come to download that torrent with 0 snatches, or an old upload could get you extra credit.

caracas
06.11.10, 17:13
I don't think anyone who's been around during the recent freeleech and took full advantage of it would be complaining about their ratio for anytime soon!! Freeleech FTW :klatsch_3:

austin316
06.11.10, 18:38
have they really got over 400,000 torrents, on my account its got 950-1000 results or pages.

anon
06.11.10, 18:38
on my account its got 950-1000 results or pages.

It's called "limiting search results to reduce server load".

yoman
06.11.10, 19:17
have they really got over 400,000 torrents, on my account its got 950-1000 results or pages.

i think they have more than 600,000 torrents.....u have to click the + buttom to see more torrents .....

anon
06.11.10, 19:18
i think they have more than 600,000 torrents.....

And I think they're rather near the million. My source's pretty trustworthy, he's called index.php. I'm sure you've heard about him.

Sazzy
06.11.10, 19:24
And I think they're rather near the million. My source's pretty trustworthy, he's called index.php. I'm sure you've heard about him.

And I see you met my good friend, Mister Sarcasm!

anon
06.11.10, 19:25
He never told me you were friends. :wfrown:

Sazzy
06.11.10, 19:28
He never told me you were friends. :wfrown:

It's a love-hate relationship.

Resurrection
08.11.10, 06:36
And I think they're rather near the million.

Holy 'eye-popping-numbers' batman...

Are you serious??

Waffles has like 300,000....

I thought what.cd had just 1.5 times the waffles' torrents but these latest numbers blow waffles outta water...There's a clear chasm between the two and its not even close...

Wow...

anon
08.11.10, 12:17
I thought what.cd had just 1.5 times the waffles' torrents but these latest numbers blow waffles outta water...There's a clear chasm between the two and its not even close...

I blame the secrecy. Waffles intentionally started small, no open signups, invites via IRC for select people (mostly). What.cd didn't do that.

Three years later, look at what both of them have become. What is the music tracker, Waffles is a pretty good runner-up.

Resurrection
09.11.10, 03:55
No way to know how many of those 951,000 torrents are actually music torrents and how many are fillers...

scr_am
10.11.10, 21:40
Last freeleech corrected with a lot of rate. Was a good advantage to not using SeedBox.

BestestBuddy
10.11.10, 23:01
Last freeleech corrected with a lot of rate. Was a good advantage to not using SeedBox.

I love the fact that they had freeleech. It made my life so much easier trying to upload to them :D

gatalakka
12.11.10, 12:18
does anyone have an up to date screenshot of their PU forum with all the tracker recruiting?

anon
12.11.10, 20:36
does anyone have an up to date screenshot of their PU forum with all the tracker recruiting?

Pass the Popcorn - Unlimited! (1 2)

Open sign ups thread (1 2 - 51 52)

TheSwarm - Unlimited! - Gazelle!

TehConnection.eu - Unlimited! - Gazelle! (1 2 3)

Fux0r - Unlimited! - Gazelle! (1 2)

Bibliotik - The Library Site! (Unlimited Invites!)

Torrentech.org - Unlimited!

TheDvdClub - Unlimited!

MusicVids - Unlimited!

SceneHD.org - Unlimited!

GazelleGames.net - Unlimited (1 2)

HDahoy.org - Unlimited - Gazelle

SceneAccess.org - Unlimited!

deli.sh - Unlimited! - Gazelle!

Underground Gamer - Unlimited!

x264.me - Unlimited!

PtN - Unlimited!

Awesome-HD Unlimited Invites! Gazelle!

***********README: INVITE FORUM RULES***********

Pianosheets.org - Unlimited

Cinematik.net - Unlimited!

**********IMPORTANT FOR NEW THREADS**********

thebox.bz - Unlimited!

Sport-Scene

BTN - Unlimited - Gazelle (1 2 - 4 5)

hdme invites

BitGamer - Unlimited! (1 2 3)

Bit-hdtv

sdbits

preto.me

HD-Torrents

Demonoid (1 2 - 4 5)

JPOPSUKI (1 2)

IPTorrents (1 2 - 4 5)

PackMeIn (The Donkey) - Unlimited! - Gazelle!

ExtremeBits.org - Unlimited

Libble - Unlimited! - Gazelle!

BrokenStones (1 2)

XTC - Unlimited! - Gazelle!

Freshon.TV (Tv.Torrents.ro) (1 2)

tvtorrents.com

ProAudioTorrents.org

Sharegbvn Unlimited !

Karagarga Invites (1 2)

TranceTraffic (Your RARE opportunity)

RevolutionTT - Unlimited

BitMe.org

BitMeTV

Share The Remote (1 2)

Deepbassnine

Instab
12.11.10, 21:18
what are the TT reqs?

anon
12.11.10, 21:20
Quote from the thread:

*** UPDATED: All 12 invites have now been given away. Congratulations to the lucky dozen who were chosen! I apologize to those who were not selected, but keep your eyes open because I may try and obtain more and run another one of these to celebrate 6 years of being a member at TT (member since November 2004). ***

Although I have a few more I will be giving away 12 invites to this fine hard to get into site here!

Requirements are as follows:

You need to be at least a Power User and have been at What.cd for at least 2 years. Also, to be considered I must be able to view your profile here at what.cd. You MUST not have a warning here.

I will update this thread when they are given away and will post WHO (what.cd user name) I gave them to so you must be cool with this.

Send me PM with TranceTraffic Invite in the subject line along with your email address and a short line about WHY you want to join in the body of the message.

flux1
22.02.11, 18:31
its little offtopic;

There is invite section right? for PU forum , elite etc. But its easy to get this invites? What tracker are there?

mirrormask
22.02.11, 18:45
@flux1:
questions like that rather belong in the what review thread, but yes, what has invite offers for quite a lot of sites, and they are rather easy to get.
the downside is of course, that should you get banned on a tracker you got on what forums, you may also loose your what account.

anon
22.02.11, 19:09
Moved, and I wouldn't say all of What's PU and above invites are easy to get. SCC and M-V would be two examples. Of course, "easy" is relative (I've had dupes on SCC, and managed to get a few M-V invites for some friends in less than a day), but those are harder to get than others.

flux1
22.02.11, 19:20
thx to moved my bad. Is there diffrent about class to get invites? I saw there is PU invite forum, Elite invite forum and above invite forum. if is higher then invites are better? And if I will use cheat I cant chance to get invites? or they banned my account?

anon
22.02.11, 19:49
Is there diffrent about class to get invites? I saw there is PU invite forum, Elite invite forum and above invite forum. if is higher then invites are better?

The "Invites" forum is the same for everyone who's PU or above. But there are other, separate class-restricted forums where more "juicy" invites are offered, yes.

And if I will use cheat I cant chance to get invites? or they banned my account?

That's a pretty silly question. If you get caught, you'll be banned. If you don't, nothing bad will happen.

flux1
16.03.11, 23:02
Tell me why they send invite to every body when the inviters invite someone and this "someone" get banned and must go to their interview? This rule is sux.... I got invite from my friend and got banned today and must go to interview :(((

anon
16.03.11, 23:12
Haha, sure, there's a rule that allows dupes as long as they're attained through the interview!

No, there isn't. If you are banned, #what.cd-disabled is where you're supposed to go.

flux1
16.03.11, 23:56
Haha, sure, there's a rule that allows dupes as long as they're attained through the interview!

No, there isn't. If you are banned, #what.cd-disabled is where you're supposed to go.

admin said "go to interview and good luck" ........

anon
17.03.11, 00:02
You either got past the radar, or that's a new policy. :wthink:

Let me get this straight... you got banned, and they told you to go to redo the interview to get your account back?

flux1
17.03.11, 14:15
You either got past the radar, or that's a new policy. :wthink:

Let me get this straight... you got banned, and they told you to go to redo the interview to get your account back?

yes! the new policy sux ! My acc was new and any torrent snatched.... Use diffrent browser only for what.cd etc. ....

anon
17.03.11, 15:49
Use diffrent browser only for what.cd etc. ....

I thought that after two years of CSS hacking, that was clear...

jezuis
05.01.12, 16:50
hey ppl, the r offline, anyone knows when they ll return?
cya

shoulder
05.01.12, 19:48
Server move if I'm correct.
Should be back soon.

Config
25.09.12, 20:56
Hello i have been a member for few months now and i am in acceptable ratio. But for few days what.cd is not opening. I have checked it with sites like "is it down for me or not" they say its down for everybody. There latest twitter is from sep 21 and says "This is a test".

Is what.cd next after revTT or is what.cd taking measures against such things or is it FBI etc

bjs
25.09.12, 21:45
It is down. Let's hope it is just a technical problem not like revTT.

BTW, someone suggested that you changed your password of any other trackers if it is the same as your revTT one. I smiled at it when I first read it but it does make sense.

Master Razor
25.09.12, 22:01
It is down. Let's hope it is just a technical problem not like revTT.

BTW, someone suggested that you changed your password of any other trackers if it is the same as your revTT one. I smiled at it when I first read it but it does make sense.

It is a high probability that someone might check those accounts on other trackers. After all, many people use the use user and pass on all their trackers.
This will never happen to me though. All my accounts have random game usernames, random alphanumeric passwords, unique email address and different profile settings. It is very hard to keep track of them but in the end it really pays to be safe.

techsupport
26.09.12, 00:25
Downtime is planned:

There will be some downtime occurring either Friday the 21st or Monday the 24th to facilitate a relocation of our existing servers and the installation of some new ones. The date depends on the availability of our person being on-site.

For updates on this lenrek will be sending out global notices on IRC so hop on and join us there!

Note: During downtime #what.cd-downtime will be open for general chat.

Update 1: The downtime has been moved to the 25th due to power issues, likely starting around 9AM EST.

Update 2: The downtime is complete. Thanks for your patience.

THC
26.09.12, 11:26
They said they'd relocate their servers, but it looks like they got the same IP, location and hosting service. Btw, what's the link of their hosting company Hard Wire Networks?

anon
26.09.12, 14:53
Hardwire Networks (http://www.hardwirenetworks.com)

With the use of reverse proxies, they can change servers without anyone knowing where they're hosted, and a raid on the proxy would yield no data. But I don't know if that's the case here.

THC
26.09.12, 18:08
But that site looks fake to me. When I click on something, like "Order", it redirects me to index...

anon
28.09.12, 22:39
Number of torrents: ~ 282000

i guess i'll take a look at the what.cd cheating @ the talk forum :biggrin:..

It was the latest version, 1.8.7 dl-ed from here, was memory reading my utorrent 1.8.2

Damn, you can see this thread is old :lol:

Hitm4n
05.02.13, 20:06
One of the favorites :wink2:

anon
31.07.16, 21:43
"The What CD" is a series of compilations of non-copyrighted music available on this tracker, permanently set as freeleech. The first two are all-time favorites of mine which I relisten regularly to this day. The third and fourth were not so good. Can anyone tell me whether they ever released a fifth edition?

cirulilu
08.08.16, 10:04
"The What CD" is a series of compilations of non-copyrighted music available on this tracker, permanently set as freeleech. The first two are all-time favorites of mine which I relisten regularly to this day. The third and fourth were not so good. Can anyone tell me whether they ever released a fifth edition?

there are 17 What CD compilations, 7 volumes plus other compilations like 80's, house holiday mix, EP's ...

anon
08.08.16, 16:04
Wow! There were only four the last time I logged in. Looks like I'm missing on a lot :gfrown:

Killaschwamm
17.11.16, 23:35
French cybersecurity took down WCD (they used OVH). GGn also uses French-based OVH. That's why they're also temporarily shutting down.

https://www.reddit.com/live/xy8t2f6nvglb

Jordan
18.11.16, 00:23
One more bad news this year.

https://torrentfreak.com/what-cd-shuts-down-following-reported-raids-in-france-161117/