Thread: Advice on Buffering

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Quote Originally Posted by Manas View Post
    High ratios always draw attention. Especially at trackers which are hard to seed at. e.g. ScT, Waffles
    I would assume your words are true regarding ratios above 3.0 IMO ! Otherwise,doing 1~2.5 is what we call normal

So if you really want to have a high buffer- to trade or whatever- you always have to think about the risks which come with it and whether your aims are really worth the efforts.
    Yeah,I hate risks myself,but who said we are preparing for a trade or so ? This is normal argument about certain issue...

Generally, highly buffered accounts are useless for cheaters. There are enough methods to reduce download. I for example mostly prefer to stay down to earth since I don't see a point in buffering accounts and having a high ratio- every noob could achieve that.
    Well,Yeah not all the high buffered accounts,I do have a 120GB UP 48GB DL RevTT account which I don't consider high since I already use such trackers alot...alos in ScL I have 90GB DL 163GB UP which ain't that high for me....
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss49
    Well Aurion, I would presume he means someone like me ;<

4TB uploaded and ~500+ gigs dled on TL ;< = extreme but dangerous buffer
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39539
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurion View Post
    Yeah,I hate risks myself,but who said we are preparing for a trade or so ? This is normal argument about certain issue...
    He said "to trade or whatever"...

Well,Yeah not all the high buffered accounts,I do have a 120GB UP 48GB DL RevTT account which I don't consider high since I already use such trackers alot...alos in ScL I have 90GB DL 163GB UP which ain't that high for me....
    That'd make a 2.5 ratio at RevTT, and a 1.81 at ScL. Those are OK according what you were talking about. I think Manas meant anything that's bigger than 3.5 - according the "starts basic, ends advanced" BitTorrent tutorial, you should aim to consider that your hard limit.

I'm personally fine with 1.5 or a bit less in the higher level trackers, but, if possible, and only at the smaller ones, I do buffer a bit though - like at LL. According my latest tests, even the "show as seeder, no DL" trick, with speeds from 20 to 80kB/s, works there. You can buffer like a GB a day without problems.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

Manas (24.10.08)

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    That'd make a 2.5 ratio at RevTT, and a 1.81 at ScL. Those are OK according what you were talking about. I think Manas meant anything that's bigger than 3.5 - according the "starts basic, ends advanced" BitTorrent tutorial, you should aim to consider that your hard limit.
    LOL I didn't know he meant that btw,did he ? Anyway,as I already mentioned,I don't go over 2.5~3.0 in most of the cases due to suitable percentage of my download to my upload amounts which = 1.0~3.5 which is good measurement IMO....
    Thanks

I wasn't talking about a specific ratio. Just telling you my opinion on ratios. In the end you'll have to decide what you think is reasonable. I for myself have ratios from 1-2. But if you think ratios up to 4 are reasonable it's fine. There are many users who do have such ratios. I just think that the higher the ratio gets the more staff will get suspicious....

But that's not an absolute statement. There are other opinions on this subject and I'm open to other well argumented points of views.

@ aurion

I wasn't talking about trading. I just wondered what you need high buffered accounts for.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

anon (25.10.08)

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Quote Originally Posted by Manas View Post
    I wasn't talking about a specific ratio. Just telling you my opinion on ratios. In the end you'll have to decide what you think is reasonable. I for myself have ratios from 1-2. But if you think ratios up to 4 are reasonable it's fine. There are many users who do have such ratios. I just think that the higher the ratio gets the more staff will get suspicious....
    Yeah,believe me I understood every word you & anon said,guys,just try to understand meanings beyond my words (play shadowman ultimate )...but still your way of measuring risks associated with high buffers is interesting,that's why I still didn't get to 4 ratio,was just wondering about catching that one sometimes later....

But that's not an absolute statement. There are other opinions on this subject and I'm open to other well argumented points of views.
    Good then !

I wasn't talking about trading. I just wondered what you need high buffered accounts for.
    OK,but back then,I felt that you guys think I'm in the middle of a trade or something LOL nah,I'm not involved in any yet,but don't mind doing some later
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anon (26.10.08) , Manas (26.10.08)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39539
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurion View Post
    but still your way of measuring risks associated with high buffers is interesting,that's why I still didn't get to 4 ratio,was just wondering about catching that one sometimes later....
    Yes, I'm a bit paranoid.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Yes, I'm a bit paranoid.