Thread: ISPs still considering tracking Web use

P2P Client
    Bangladesh Extreme Mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss196

ISPs still considering tracking Web use

Although a large Internet service provider has backed away from technology that tracks subscribers’ Web use in order to deliver personalized advertising, two other broadband companies said Wednesday they are BurlingtonFreePress.com AP NEWS”>still considering whether to deploy it.

Phone companies Embarq Corp. and CenturyTel Inc. have both completed trials of the same tracking system, from online advertising company NebuAd Inc., and are now considering whether to proceed.

The largest U.S. Internet provider that had been actively looking at Web tracking, Charter Communications Inc., announced Tuesday that it had canceled its planned test because customers had raised concerns.

The technology gathers data on the interests of Web surfers by looking at the sites they visit. It passes the information to online advertising companies, without revealing a surfer’s identity, so they can display more relevant ads on Web sites. For instance, a surfer who visits sites about dogs might see more banner ads for dog food.

The system has been criticized by privacy advocates and legislators. Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., and Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, wrote to Charter asking it to put the test on hold to give time for discussions. Markey chairs the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet.

Source: ISPs still considering tracking Web use - Aviran’s Place
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39512
    The technology gathers data on the interests of Web surfers by looking at the sites they visit. It passes the information to online advertising companies, without revealing a surfer’s identity, so they can display more relevant ads on Web sites. For instance, a surfer who visits sites about dogs might see more banner ads for dog food.
    yeah well, they don't know who you are but yes what you've been browsing for :|
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Faze Mod 0.2 Private
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1391
    yikes, what else is next.dont they know that it's useless!

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread