+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a way to configure a torrent client to announce to the tracker via a proxy?

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss9

Is there a way to configure a torrent client to announce to the tracker via a proxy?

Is there a way to configure a torrent client to announce to the tracker via a proxy but still enable full speeds. It appears that my IP address has been black listed and I am mostly concerned about keeping the tracker from knowing my IP address than I am about the seeds and leaches knowing it.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39537
    Is there a way to configure a torrent client to announce to the tracker via a proxy?
    http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...?threadid=4279

Instead of using proxy apps, you use the proxy server of your choice.

But changing your real address is a better idea...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Thorium (26.07.11)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss9
    I would. But my ISP is a tad stingy with the new addresses ( I get a new one about every month ) and every method that I have tried thus far ends in failure.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Dragon Fist
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss133
    Torrenting was banned on my college campus some couple years ago and this is the solution I came up with:
    Simple, install tor (actually the vidalia bundle with only vidalia and tor) and utorrent.
    Than configure utorrent to use tor for announces: connection -> proxy server -> socks5 -> 127.0.0.1:9050
    There is no need for authentication and make sure you DO NOT check use proxy for peer-to-peer connections.
    You can set other preferences in the proxy area if you need more privacy. Ooh and for me, because they actually identified torrent traffic I was going to bittorrent -> protocol encryption -> forced, but you don't need it if you don't want it, though I recommend setting it to at least Enabled.

Also if tor is not connecting you might need to set up bridges: https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges . I guarantee it works as I needed to do that also after some time cause they caught on to Tor.
    Last edited by fuzzy; 27.07.11 at 18:44.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (06.08.11) , anon (27.07.11) , Thorium (27.07.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39537
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    make sure you DO NOT check use proxy for peer-to-peer connections.
    Hear, hear.

You were lucky you could bypass the block via Tor. My school completely blocks torrents at a gateway level - you can't even try to connect to trackers and peers.
    Thanks

Using Mask Surf Pro working very good also the speed (i forget its a proxy because the speeds very good )
    work using socks 4 port 9050.
    Busy , new things always comes
    Its the time for personal life ,Still here from time to time, Greeting for everybody All .

Its easy way to capture the announces :-
    Tutorial how use SmartSniff to Capture announces for Bittorrent
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anon (28.07.11)

P2P Client
    Dragon Fist
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss133
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    You were lucky you could bypass the block via Tor. My school completely blocks torrents at a gateway level - you can't even try to connect to trackers and peers.
    Actually, encrypted traffic was the key there, as they did bittorrent traffic identification. Later they wrote a script that connected to tor bridges website and indexed those ip everyday so i couldn't use them, but with a bit of kung-fu, actually just some proxies I got information on bridges they didn't have access to so all was well.
    At one time they wrote a script that banned suspicious p2p activity that they thought was bittorrent, but they were only able to run it one time a day as the analysis would cripple the servers. Now they just gave up and do a traffic limit of 5 gigs a day. Anybody hogging the pipe just gets banned for a day or a couple of days. No way around that unfortunately.

@mmmmm what sorts of speeds are we talking about?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39537
    Surprised they just didn't write a script to warn the IT guys if someone used too much bandwidth for extended periods of time. That shouldn't hog the server too much, and there's no way to get around it either, except maybe limiting your speeds.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Dragon Fist
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss133
    Actually that was the idea behind the p2p script, but they had to identify which traffic was legit and which wasn't because hogging the bandwidth while downloading let's say Fedora 13 DVD flavors was ok. Also just seeding a torrent with 10KB/s was considered breaking the rules as it was non-academic traffic, so they needed to fine-tune the whole thing.
    Another solution I practiced at that time was just saturating my scene needs with DDL by using JDownloader. It wasn't as easy as bittorrent but nobody questioned my obscure sharing-sites traffic.
    Thanks

Full speed 4 download ,I'm on 4Mb now up to 8Mb my download without MSP about 470 KB and the same with it (no change).
    Busy , new things always comes
    Its the time for personal life ,Still here from time to time, Greeting for everybody All .

Its easy way to capture the announces :-
    Tutorial how use SmartSniff to Capture announces for Bittorrent
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread