+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opera 11.50 "Swordfish" released

Opera 11.50 "Swordfish" released

Opera Hits 200 Million Users; Debuts A New Featherweight Look And More In Version 11.5

-------------------

Here's the breakdown:

• Speed Dial: Think of this as bookmarks with a twist. You can display your favorite sites in a pretty grid view. Now there are new Speed Dial extensions that show updates like stocks and weather in real time.
    • Password synchronization: You can now sync your passwords across Opera browsers on all your devices.
    • New design: Opera went for a more simplistic look in this version that emphasizes the web page above the browser. It looks a lot like Chrome.
    • Faster: Opera claims its new browser is faster, and developer friendly. It includes support for HTML 5 and dozens of other behind-the-scenes improvements.

-------------------

The underdog currently enjoying a 2.4 percent share of the browser market behind IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

shawshankraj (30.06.11) , yoco (30.06.11)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    shocking that opera has never gotten the recognition it deserves - i've used it for over a decade now (you used to have to crack it!) and it's still my primary tool for browsing sites.
    firefox is great for it's extensions and iron is decent for quick browsing, but opera rules, imo
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39549
    Quote Originally Posted by takomania View Post
    (you used to have to crack it!)
    I didn't use it back then, but I remember those times It also used to have an MDI interface instead of tabs, if I recall.

By the way, the regulars may be bored of hearing this, but Opera has severely disappointed me with its lack of stability since 11.00 onwards. Any issues on your side? Any chances 11.50 solves this?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    i'm having no issues with v11 at all so far - their new live speed dials are pretty nice (weather updates etc), albeit a bit pointless. their widget download selection is poor (if you're into widgets, which i am not) but overall i really like it and have no complaints. i've noticed your issues with the latest opera builds on the forums though, and can't say that i've been suffering the same fate...

and yes, the old opera did have an mdi gui - there were a few browsers back then that used mdi - it was fine, as long as you didn't have too many pages open (the ability to group/stack tabs is a real winner in the v11 builds imo).

i think my other main browser back at that time was netcaptor (an i.e. mod) which felt a lot like how firefox v3 felt, but the downer was that it was an i.e. mod and therefore vulnerable to everything that could attack i.e.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39549
    Quote Originally Posted by takomania View Post
    i'm having no issues with v11 at all so far
    *envy*

My experience greatly differs. I've had the same issues as those forum posters. Work with 11.xx a few hours and you're rolling dice as far as not crashing is concerned.

(the ability to group/stack tabs is a real winner in the v11 builds imo).
    In case I try the new version, do you know if that feature can be turned off? It annoys me more than it serves me.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    I think what troubled me with Opera is how closed they are to include some third-party addons.
    Like this addon I like for saving your passwords on all of your machines, which exists for Firefox and Chrome, but Opera until now is delaying accepting it (more than a year now), because they want it to happen in their own way and under their supervision.
    That kind of culture is closed to innovation, which is why they think that they changed the UI of their Speed Dial is some huge new thing that they need to brag about.
    How does this change my life compared to the old Speed Dial?
    I want a browser that adapts to me, not one that I need to adapt to how it works. If I did, I'd probably be using Windows ME.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39549
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    That kind of culture is closed to innovation, which is why they think that they changed the UI of their Speed Dial is some huge new thing that they need to brag about.
    How does this change my life compared to the old Speed Dial?
    I never used the speed dial UI. I actually only use that feature to access a single site I've visited using "new tab, Ctrl+1" for years.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (01.07.11)

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss772
    The only problem I had with the new versions of opera was with the Youtube video it use to lag at times and then the tabs freezes for 5-10 seconds
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread