+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 8 Little Known, Insanely Useful Softwares For College

8 Little Known, Insanely Useful Softwares For College

Free Software for College Students

------------

1. Connectify

Connectify lets you share your laptop’s internet connection with others nearby. Connectify can create a Wifi hotspot out of any Windows 7 computer in a matter of seconds.

The app shows up in the system tray once you install it. You give the hotspot a name, a password and other computers in your dorm can quickly join the hotspot and use your connection.

2. Panda USB Vaccine

Panda USB Vaccine completely disables autorun on your computer. The next time a friend of yours plugs in a USB pen drive, you can be sure that malicious programs won’t run from there.

In addition to disabling autorun, the tool can also create a dummy autorun.inf file on removable drives, thereby “vaccinating” them from getting infected. Indispensable if you’re still on Windows Vista and if you frequently exchange or lend pen drives.

3. WordWeb

WordWeb is free and does one thing really, really well. Select a word from any Windows application, press a hotkey and voila – WordWeb pops up with the definition instantly.

WordWeb works when you’re offline and it could obviously help you improve your vocabulary. You can also quickly access Wikipedia to know more on a topic when you’re connected.

4. Pen Drive Reminder

If you frequently come back to your dorm room just to take back that pen drive you missed, Pen Drive Reminder is a must-have. Pen Drive Reminder alerts you on screen if you forget to remove your pen drive when you shut down or log off from your computer.

There’s also a countdown timer that pops open a notification after the counter reaches zero seconds.

5. WunderList

Wunderlist is free and ubiquitous – it works in Windows, Mac, iPhone and is coming soon to Android. Unlike RTM, you don’t need a pro account to use it on your phone. It’s FREE for all devices.

Using Wunderlist, you can create tasks and notes. Wunderlist syncs them to the web so that they’re always available. You can even share a todo list with your friends – very useful if you’re collaborating on something. Try it and you’ll not switch!

6. Tor Bundle

Tor is a set of tools can help you browse anonymously. This is very useful especially in college when you don’t want the administrators to track what you’re up to.

The Tor Browser Bundle is a standalone set of programs that has a preconfigured portable Firefox browser that you can use to surf the internet without restrictions. It’s your best bet to browse blocked sites online.

7. Anki

Anki can help you remember anything – words, equations, pictures, faces and a lot more. The best part – this flashcard tool is also available as an iPhone and a web app so you can review your cards anywhere. If there’s one simple, all in one app for flashcards, this is it and you should use it.

8. MS Office 2010 Math Addin

If you extensively use Microsoft Office Word/OneNote and if you’re into math in college, this is for you. This addin puts a Mathematics tab in the Office Ribbon.

From that tab, you can quickly add equations, graphs and a lot more into your notes and documents. It doesn’t work for very complex equations, though but it does come in handy once in a while.
    ----------

I think Viruses are the most important things you need to be careful about when you live in a shared environment.

There was another link I found but It does not seem to mention anything innovative

5 Free Useful Programs For College — Tech Mindset
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (18.04.11) , takomania (17.04.11) , BrianBosworth (16.04.11) , kelly (15.04.11) , anon (15.04.11)

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss7
    Any special software to clear pen drives from viruses? Or does the regular comp antivirus/spyware software do that efficiently?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    regular av's should defend against them - using something like malware bytes anti malware alongside an av gives you a much stronger defense as mb has a unique method of scanning for some malicious strings/functions which can lead to it spotting things that even the best av's miss
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39542
    Quote Originally Posted by takomania View Post
    regular av's should defend against them - using something like malware bytes anti malware alongside an av gives you a much stronger defense as mb has a unique method of scanning for some malicious strings/functions which can lead to it spotting things that even the best av's miss Create a folder called autorun.inf in the root of your flashdrive
    Fixed.

Doing that will prevent viruses from automatically running when you double-click the drive on Windows Explorer. If any other crap finds its way to your drive, you can simply delete it without running it, obviously.

From my experience, "regular" antivirus software will find most of them, anyway - at least NOD32 did. These days I'm being tough and don't run any real-time AV on any of my computers - I replaced them with Sandboxie and caution. So far so good!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1626
    I also would like to recommend this software/service Dropbox - Simplify your life really useful when you forget your pendrive or external hard disk at home
    (There's Windows,Linux and Mac version)
    Last edited by Blocker; 18.04.11 at 03:47.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Fixed.

Doing that will prevent viruses from automatically running when you double-click the drive on Windows Explorer. If any other crap finds its way to your drive, you can simply delete it without running it, obviously.
    works great until you come up against any loader which deletes existing autoruns as a default

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    I also would like to recommend this software/service Dropbox - Simplify your life really useful when you forget your pendrive or external hard disk at home
    (There's Windows,Linux and Mac version)
    dropbox is handy - i use it myself - plus any synced file is scanned by virustotal.com

be aware though: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04...pbox_security/
    Last edited by takomania; 18.04.11 at 09:15.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39542
    Quote Originally Posted by takomania View Post
    works great until you come up against any loader which deletes existing autoruns as a default
    Shhh, you're going to give people ideas.

My paranoia still doesn't allow me to simply go and double-click a flashdrive in My Computer, though.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    My paranoia still doesn't allow me to simply go and double-click a flashdrive in My Computer, though.
    i'm with you there - 100%
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread