Thread: Expat Shield - Hotspot shield's brother with UK IP's

P2P Client
    several
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss565

Expat Shield - Hotspot shield's brother with UK IP's

The same application as Hotspot Shield, just you are assigned with UK IP's.
    You can use it to make secure connections from unencrypted hotspots, and any other unsafe locations, watch UK only online video content, register and use on the trackers you are banned.

Expat Shield
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (20.11.10) , SealLion (20.11.10) , Gapo (20.11.10)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    It'd be interesting to know exactly what kind of encryption the software uses. I went to the website and it doesn't say anywhere at all what exactly it would use. All it really says is this:

Expat Shield protects your sensitive information and identity by securing your Internet connection (using advanced encryption technology).
    For example, does it use an encryption algorithm ( also called symmetric algorithm) which is supposed to be a mathematical operation in which a plain text is transformed to a so called cipher text because from what I understand is that symmetric encryption is vulnerable to leaking and spying out of passwords.

Or does it use something like a secure encryption algorithm such as AES. The website owners don't really say what kind of encryption they use and I would tend to think that the product makers of that software would at least educate their customers.

They do mention this in thier Privacy Policy though:

....every page visited to go through HTTP(S) encryption....
    The other thing that I noticed when I went to the website is access thier Privacy Policy which states the following:

...Please note that the Expat Shield website located at www.Expat Shield.com has a different privacy notice that governs the use of personal information collected on that site,,,
    what kind of privacy policy??
    Again, the software developers don't mention this.

With respect to the type of encryption that they do use, there is a hint here:

We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Expat Shield Expat Shield, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, Expat Shield makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
    you can tell they don't use AES because no-one has yet discovered a flaw in the algorithm or has been able to break it.
    Again, you can see all of that near the bottom of their website under Privacy Policy.

Also something that I captured in thier Terms of Use Policy:

2. Privacy Notice. Your privacy is important to Expat Shield. Expat Shield's Privacy Notice is hereby incorporated into these Terms by reference. Please read this notice carefully for information relating to Expat Shield's collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information.
    sounds like the makers of this software have a habit of collecting the user's information after all.

This is supported by:

. Digital Millennium Copyright Act. It is Expat Shield's policy to respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
    that has a lot to do with us since we download stuff off, of the internet, yes??

check this out:

6.10 use the Expat Shield Site if You are under the age of 13 years old;
    so if they catch someone under 13 years of age, what are they gonna do....??
    take their birthday away. ...LOL.

It's an interesting find, but it does prove that if anyone does ever want to use a privacy or public proxy service of some kind, you know you've got to read the fine print first.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

Gapo (20.11.10)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39533
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    It'd be interesting to know exactly what kind of encryption the software uses. I went to the website and it doesn't say anywhere at all what exactly it would use.
    If it's OpenVPN-based like HSS, then have a look here.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread