+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BBC NEWS: Afghanistan children killed 'during Western operation'

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

BBC NEWS: Afghanistan children killed 'during Western operation'

after reading this article, I felt that there was just a tad too much inconsistancy of what was reported and by whom.

check it out:

At least 10 Afghan civilians, including eight schoolchildren, have been killed in fighting involving Western troops, President Hamid Karzai has said.
    Mr Karzai said the deaths occurred during military operations in eastern Kunar province two days ago
    Ok. So the President of Afghanistan said that civilians were killed.

But then there is this:

Nato said it had no record of operations or deaths in the area.
    Inconsistant reportage or what??

A brief statement from Mr Karzai's office said initial reports indicated the civilians had died in "a series of operations by international forces"
    well, that means only one group of people. Soldiers belonging to the Nato Alliance, yes??

An unnamed Western official told AFP that US special forces had been conducting operations in the area, close to the border with Pakistan, and had killed and captured "a lot of Taliban".
    I don't get it.
    Firstly, there's denial on the report at the weblink and then there;'s an admittance that there were war activities in the region.
    Either BBC isn't getting something straight here or there's something missing here that I didn't catch.

IMO, the troops were conducting operations in that same area, but....stated instead that operations were conducted in the area close to Pakistan rather than state that they were making operations in the area in which 10 civilians died.
    In other words...denial.

Civilian deaths at the hands of foreign troops have led to widespread anger among Afghans
    I can imagine.
    Wouldn't you be upset if a foreign power was in your home country and killing civilians in the name of controlling insurrection??

I think that what's happening is that there is some kind of desire for control of what's being reported on. That is, when news comes out and it is considered damaging or embarrassing to the military parties in Afghanistan, it is denied.

HEre's a sample to give an idea of what I mean:

But if the civilians deaths are confirmed, it will be a blow to Gen Stanley McChrystal, the commander of Nato forces in Afghanistan, who has vowed to limit such casualties, says our correspondent.
    If he was to admit it, it could prove damaging to their efforts. If denied, it is kept away.
    And as per the news report, it is supposed to be a remote area.

So maybe the confirmation of these civilian deaths could be difficult and more of an inconvenience to the NATO military than a damaging blow that might affect further and future military efforts in Afghanistan.

But people living in Afghanistan might know better about who did what and where the truth is..........

HEre's the link:

enjoy. :)
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (29.12.09) , saebrtooth (29.12.09) , Se7Ven (29.12.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    well, that means only one group of people. Soldiers belonging to the Nato Alliance, yes??

I don't get it.
    Firstly, there's denial on the report at the weblink and then there;'s an admittance that there were war activities in the region.
    Either BBC isn't getting something straight here or there's something missing here that I didn't catch.
    here's a possibility: these actions could have been made by black ops or some unofficial task force 'behind enemy lines' with a certain agenda, like trying to provoke a retaliation attack that can't be explained (or more correctly linked to the nato forces) therefore making the retaliation look like an unprovoked incident further solidifying the terrorist threat - since such secret operations are officially denied and sometimes even regional leaders of nato forces aren't aware of it (or simply it isn't their jurisdiction to lead the actions or comment upon), they can hardly be found within nato paperwork and are left unexplained (unknown perpetrators)

But people living in Afghanistan might know better about who did what and where the truth is..........
    if they survive to be witnesses - even then it can only be assumed as these forces probably won't wear any official markings or uniforms that may reveal their real allegiance
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (30.12.09)

+ Reply to Thread