+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BBC NEWS: Colombia and US sign bases deal

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

BBC NEWS: Colombia and US sign bases deal

Have a look at the map on the weblink provided below.

In my personal opinion, I think that there's more to this story as is stated in the article.

The United States and Colombia have signed a deal giving the US military access to seven Colombian bases........to combat drug trafficking and rebels.
    That might be partially true, but I thiink that there might be more though.

....Colombian Defence Minister Gabriel Silva.......said it was supported by the majority of Colombians who, he said, wanted more security
    I don't know about that one. The article, if not the Defense Minister himself, didn't state any proof for some kind of survey or anything like that supporting that statement.

Anything could be made up.
    Then again, anything could be made up with survey questions worded such that they might be misinterpreted by the public.

One last thing:
    Doesn't Venezuela have oil??

Here's the link.
    So see the map and you might understand this thing from a geographic perspective and the relationship to the last question I just asked:

enjoy the short read.
    Last edited by SealLion; 01.11.09 at 00:22.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (01.11.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    I think that there's more to this story as is stated in the article.
    yup, there always is
    Brazil, Bolivia, Ecuador and Venezuela have all recently expressed concern.
    they know something's cookin'

lets just say that the usa has strategic interests throughout the world, we can only guess why are they picking countries in this order, the reasons may be numerous, so here's one - they may want to be close to the source of drug production, to be able to transport it in the usa through legal military routes within legal military bases far from the public eyes

Before 1980, Afghanistan produced 0% of the world's opium. But then the CIA moved in, and by 1986 they were producing 40% of the world's heroin supply. By 1999, they were churning out 3,200 TONS of heroin a year * nearly 80% of the total market supply.

because, lets face it, if the columbian government wanted to shut down the drug business they would do so with a few precision-made actions (with usa aerial support if necessary) - no drug lord has defense against coordinated military actions - maybe against the police, but not the military - the truth is they want/need the trafficking to continue as it provides continuous income (always easier than hard earned money), and some would say that the usa wants its citizens on drugs & co. (makes 'em easier to manage, keeps the medical industry working and so on) - its a vicious circle - layers upon layers of different interests & beneficiaries/profiteers
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (01.11.09)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    But I think that Columbia is already using it's military against the drug trafficers which are also used by FARC.

Drugs make money for FARC to fund it's purchase of weaponry, I believe.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread