+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Al Jazeera English: VIDEO: DVD piracy plagues 'Nollywood'

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Al Jazeera English: VIDEO: DVD piracy plagues 'Nollywood'

We've heard of Bollywood. I guess now there's Nollywood.....brought to you direct from Nigeria.

I found this on Al Jazeera fairly interesting. There's a point in the video in which the journalist reports on the Nigerian government unwilling to enforce on the piracy of DVD's issue.

I wonder if this could also, perhaps in the future, have some eventual relationship to hosting torrent site servers??

Check it out

Nigeria is home to the world's fastest growing film industry.

It churns out more than 2,000 films every year and employs hundreds of thousands of Nigerians.

But 'Nollywood' is being plagued by the growing problem of DVD piracy.

Within 48 hours of a film's release, an illegal copy can often be found on the street.......

The video is only about 2 1/2 mins. long

enjoy.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (31.10.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    interesting developments, they are pumping up the movie industry, yet Nigeria in general is a relatively poor country (somewhat similar to India), their GDP is about 40 times smaller than in usa, so its a good example of economic growth & concentration of financial power on one side, yet on the other there are many barely surviving (probably applies to the movie industry minimum wagers too), a capitalistic development with expected results - maybe you noticed how the media is excited & supportive about the industry, but fail to see the disproportions in this

considering the international impact, i'd say it will remain similar to bollywood's, ie. rather low & unimportant, though this might somewhat improve if they will be able to refine their movie-making skills or if hollywood or western investors find a way to capitalize on their efforts

not sure how africans look at this but africa is probably the only market where nigerian movies may receive a decent interest, as for other countries in the world it might be a temporary peak as a result of curiosity but not much more

btw maybe a pertinent question might be: how much did the nigerian letter scam money play a role in these developments
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (31.10.09)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post

btw maybe a pertinent question might be: how much did the nigerian letter scam money play a role in these developments

ah. yes. The very well known Nigerian letter scam.

I'd be curious to know how many people fall for this garbage and hand over thier hard earned money??

I used to get those in an old spam-email account of mine. Now...most likely over-run with scams and other 419's.

Nigerian letter scams aren't much different than the 'love' scams from Ukraine and Russia.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread