+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BBC NEWS: Rio police transfer 'drug barons'

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

BBC NEWS: Rio police transfer 'drug barons'

drugs make lots of money, you can tell, eh??

......As the violence continues, a demonstration was held on Saturday on the world famous Copacabana beach calling for peace.

Protesters dressed in black and wearing white masks - suggesting they were corpses - lay in supermarket trolleys simulating the way one murder victim was found earlier this week.

I can imagine that people want the violence to stop. People getting caught in the middle getting maimed or killed.

But well, you know. Drugs are big business, I can imagine. It's like in Columbia. When one Cartel goes down, another takes it's territories.

And it's not done with 'pretty-please, can I ??, either.

Here's the link:

"God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (26.10.09) , alpacino (26.10.09)

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2076
    I can only think that it's a very sad thing that drug trafficking has crippled Rio de Janeiro and all the beautiful things it had to offer in the past, like beautiful beaches, the carnival and a very nice place to tourism. People who live there are very afraid of the daily violence, between the armed smugglers and the police, the innocent population is usually caught in between the middle of cross-fire.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (27.10.09) , slikrapid (26.10.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    drugs make lots of money, you can tell, eh??

I can imagine that people want the violence to stop. People getting caught in the middle getting maimed or killed.

But well, you know. Drugs are big business, I can imagine. It's like in Columbia. When one Cartel goes down, another takes it's territories.
    they sure do, but they wouldn't even be a problem of such scale if the government (& its officials) weren't susceptible to corruption - the amounts of money that circulate within this kind of business are way too tempting for the officials, ie. too many connected people (on 'both' sides of the law) are interested in the drug trade to continue

(usa example) we hear of war on terror almost constantly, well what happened to war on drugs & co.??

there was a good brazilian movie on corruption/drugs in Brazil following operations of an anti-drug police/military special force: Tropa De Elite (2007)
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (27.10.09) , SealLion (27.10.09)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    i have to agree. The amount of money that does circulate must be pretty tempting for law officials. And I don't mean just in Brazil. Afaik, Mexico and a few other Latin American countries have the same problems re: corruption.

I'd be curious to know how well Rio police Officers make such that they have, or may want, if that is more properly said, to accept money for being bribed to turn a blind eye to the law.

I'd also express a curiousity, not just for the executive branch of the legal system but also for the judges.
    Maybe some of them are bribed as well??

You know. Brazillian people wouldn't be so afraid of being caught in the middle and potentially getting in harms way if people of the legal system as well as the executive branch were perhaps paid more ( if it's the case that they are not paid much).

You know, I wouldn't put it pass anyone even in North America of being bribed to turn a blind eye to the law either. Even though news like that, I have not yet come across.

I'm wondering if peopole in general when they go visit places like Rio, are even aware of potentially being caught in the middle someplace when there's an armed struggle with smugglers??

I would tend to think that when there's violence, that violence occurs mostly in the faveloes, yes??

Or maybe it also occurs in the main part of places like Rio or even Sao Paulo??

If they are able to give commands from prison to places outside of prison, they obviously must have bought a couple of the gaurds there, yes??

"And if not gaurds, then someone from outside comes into the prison to be given commands and have them relayed.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (27.10.09) , slikrapid (27.10.09)

+ Reply to Thread