Thread: Al Jazeera English: Israel push to change laws of war

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Al Jazeera English: Israel push to change laws of war

Sniff, sniff.....

I smell something behind this latest news.

Here's someting interesting.

Israel want's to not have it's soldiers convicted in a world court for crimes against-humanity related issures while in it's campaign against terrrorists in Palestine.

I can understand fighting against terrorists, but it's another thing when your fighting against a general population and committing crimes against that same population while preventing, such things as, food distribution in Gaza and other nearby locations.

Look at this:

Israel's prime minister has instructed his government to draw up plans for a "world wide campaign" to lobby for changes in the international laws of war.

Apparantly, there was a meeting of government officals not long ago. Here is what went on.....

The order from Binyamin Netanyahu follows a special cabinet meeting on Tuesday to discuss Israel's response to the UN's Goldstone report, which condemned Israel's actions during the 22-day war on Gaza earlier this year

oh, ya.
    Not only that, but also want's to do this here:

.......to deal with the prospect of "legal proceedings abroad against the state of Israel or its citizens".

I think one also needs to read between the lines to understand what's going on here too:

.....the government wanted to give the Israeli military "the full backing to have the freedom of action."
    in other words full immunity from prosecution.

Do you think that it's ethical for a country's soldiers to be immune against prosecution while abusing people in another part of a region??

Such as denying medical aid from crossing over a border-zone over to innocent people not directly involved in a war with Israel??

b/c this is what has been reported by various news sources in what does occur.

Here's one final thing before I give you the link:

An Israeli official speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said the issue of establishing an official inquiry into the conduct of the military during the Gaza campaign was not raised at Tuesday's meeting.
    that would be obvious considering the latest desire by the Israeli government.

Here's the link:

enjoy.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (25.10.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Israel want's to not have it's soldiers convicted in a world court for crimes against-humanity related issures while in it's campaign against terrrorists in Palestine.
    i'm kinda surprised that they didn't already achieve this goal, since for example afaik the usa soldiers cannot face conviction from other country's courts or international courts

considering the situation the palestinians are in, would you say the situation in israel is satisfactory? looks like some 'independent' organizations still do, like the Reporters Without Borders:

Code:
    http://www.rsf.org/en-zone4-id_pays154-Middle_East_North_Africa.html#carte
    choose Israel from the menu and see for yourselves
    and btw they conveniently distinguish between israel & 'the palestinian territories'

not to mention how the israelis got this land/country in the first place

imo there won't be any significant repercussions for their behavior, at least while they have backup from the usa & global organizations (in different fields) throughout the world, so it would be logical to say the malpractice will continue as before
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (25.10.09)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I did go to the link and the only informatin that I found on Reporters WithOut Borders was a couple of headlines about one reporter having been arrested for having written material on Israel on his Reporter's Blog and another reporter having been detained ( and then released by Israeli authorities), while another reporter was not granted a commuted sentence by Israeli authorities.

I don't think that the situation in Israel is satisfactory at all after having read those headlines and a bit of the content there.

To me, after having read some of the material there on some of the reporters being arrested, it looks like the Israeli's want to 'turn out the light's' , so to speak on what's going on in Gaza and the surrounding regions.

I don't think that they want anyone to know about any truths.

As far as I see, the media in general just keep reporting what someone else tells them too.

So. No...I don't think that any situation in Gaza is any better or satisfactory at all.

I don't quite understand by what you meant when you ask if the situation in Israel is satisfactory. Sorry, slikrapid, but maybe explain by what you mean.

You mean improving for both sides or improving from a journalistic perspective on who is able to report in some area??

I mean, look at this:

Reporters Without Borders condemns Israeli newspaper reporter Amira Hass’s arrest at the Erez border crossing yesterday as she returned to Israel after spending four months in the Gaza Strip reporting for the Tel Aviv-based daily Haaretz in violation of a military ban on Israeli citizens visiting the Palestinian Territories.
    ok. I can understand the overlying principle of that, but check this out:

Tehre's underlying principles...as usual.....

.......but Israel’s blanket ban on Israeli citizens entering the occupied Palestinian Territories obstructs the work of its journalists and violates press freedom.”
    No doubt.

here's the link to ReportersWithOutBorders to that linK:

Now after having then gone to the link for the Palestinian Areas, here's what I read:

.....This decisions seems above all to be motivated by Hamas’ desire to control the press
    That''s not right either.

and there's more here:

.....The press freedom organisation also calls for the release of three journalists who have been held without explanation since 12 October in the Gaza Strip town of Deir Al-Balah
    Link to the above is here:

It seems like one cann't get any information b/c there's always someone present who want's to control the flow of information, yes??

And that's regardless of who's side it is that's being reported on.

The truth must be the first, or is intended to be, one of the first casualities. A casualty from a controlled perspective.

And yes. I agree with you: There'll be no long term repercussions on Israel for having, or wanting to do, what it want's to do re: changing the laws of war for it's soldier's benefit.
    It's basically a turn to the extreme right if you look at it from such a perspective.
    Last edited by SealLion; 25.10.09 at 21:11.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (25.10.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    I don't quite understand by what you meant when you ask if the situation in Israel is satisfactory. Sorry, slikrapid, but maybe explain by what you mean.

You mean improving for both sides or improving from a journalistic perspective on who is able to report in some area??
    the site has a country map at the bottom where you can choose a country & it gets highlighted in red color with a general description of the situation in the country - for israel it said: Satisfactory situation, thats what i commented on

The truth must be the first, or is intended to be, one of the first casualities. A casualty from a controlled perspective.
    someone once said that the 'truth' is in the eye of the beholder, so i'd say the facts should be known to the public, then we can make comments/form opinions

It's basically a turn to the extreme right if you look at it from such a perspective.
    a move to the right, a continuation of established policy (politically & practically)

Pirates Of The Mediterranean

On June 30, the government of Israel committed an act of piracy when the Israeli Navy in international waters illegally boarded the "Spirit of Humanity," kidnapped its 21-person crew from 11 countries, including former US Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney and Nobel Laureate Mairead MaGuire, and confiscated the cargo of medical supplies, olive trees, reconstruction materials, and children's toys that were on the way to the Mediterranean coast of Gaza. The "Spirit of Humanity," along with the kidnapped 21 persons is being towed to Israel as I write.

Gaza has been described as the "world's largest concentration camp." It is home to 1.5 million Palestinians who were driven by force of American-supplied Israeli arms out of their homes, off their farms, and out of their villages so that Israel could steal their land and make the Palestinian land available to Israeli settlers.
    Code:
    http://www.rense.com/general86/pirates.htm
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (25.10.09)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I went to the website. I think I came across it some time before.

I have to add this here:

from the website:

.....Israel owns the US Congress and President Obama. Israel even has an Israeli citizen and former member of the Israeli Defense Forces as the Chief-of-Staff in Obama's White House. Israel owns millions of American "Christian Zionists" and "rapture evangelicals." When it comes to Israel, the American government is a puppet state.
    No doubt.

And that 's just one of the many lobbying efforts and methods that are organized in that country by Israel.

I know that this same topic has been discussed a few times, I just thought that I would bring it up again.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread