+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Al Jazeera English: VIDEO: Colombian armed groups recruiting child soldiers

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Al Jazeera English: VIDEO: Colombian armed groups recruiting child soldiers

Can you belive this/?

The Colombian government's 41-year war against the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (Farc) has become increasingly dangerous for children.

The group is looking more and more at child soldiers - boys and girls below the age of 18 - as it seeks to recruit new fighters.

The Colombian government says there are 9,000 soldiers in that age group in irregular armies, but independent sources say the number is closer to 11,000.
    Columbian thugs belonging to FARC and other rebel groups are recruuiting child soldiers because, apparantly, by Columbian law, child soldiers can't be used as informants and other instances be used for the governments benefit.

Ok. That's fine.

But it's pretty stupid to take advantage of people as young as 12 or even 9 years and not have to pay them to be a part of your rebel group fighting against the government.

That's what FARC and other Columbian rebel groups are doing now. Apparantly to replenish thier ranks.

QUESTION: Is that F@*k'd-up, or what??

Never mind not having to use them.

But the fact that some groups are using kids to help them fight.

I realize that lots of rebel groups around the world do similiar things.

But I think that when we sit all smug on our couches and eat our din-din or lunch, we don't really think of these things.
    Do we??

The Video is short. Only about 3 minuites in length.

Here's the link:

PS: I have no idea why it says that there is an error and to try again after clicking on the link.
    Last edited by SealLion; 14.10.09 at 03:14.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (17.10.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    apparantly, by Columbian law, child soldiers can't be used as informants and other instances be used for the governments benefit.
    you know, i don't think this argument has really any weight to it, because in a war situation rules of law are often disregarded as they prevent direct action/results - the children are probably still used for these (and other) purposes, just not officially

I realize that lots of rebel groups around the world do similiar things.
    yes, its known to be happening in africa

some say experienced children soldiers can be more ruthless than adult ones since their sense of morality hasn't formed yet, also they are easily persuaded or impressed, thus easily manipulated

on the other hand they obviously cannot reach skill levels of adults so i guess their recruitment may be an act of desperation after all

here's a working link:

[YT="child soldiers"]-Fea7CRC5NM[/YT]
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (17.10.09)

+ Reply to Thread