Thread: WikiLeaks: Ivory Coast toxic dumping report behind secret Guardian gag

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

WikiLeaks: Ivory Coast toxic dumping report behind secret Guardian gag

This is ridiculous.

I remember this story from another source.

I recall having read about what this Oil company from the UK did to these people in Ivory Coast while reading Al Jazeera English. at one point recently.

Actually, I think that I even posted on it here somewhere in the General News Section.

Anyways...check it out:

A confidential WikiLeaks report into the dumping of toxic waste by the multi-national commodities giant Trafigura, has seen an extraordinary gag order served on the UK media. The secret gag order prevents reporting of statements made in the House of Commons

Secrecy again, eh??

Today's published Commons order papers contain a question to be answered by a minister later this week. The Guardian is prevented from identifying the MP who has asked the question, what the question is, which minister might answer it, or where the question is to be found.

The Guardian is also forbidden from telling its readers why the paper is prevented – for the first time in memory – from reporting parliament. Legal obstacles, which cannot be identified, involve proceedings, which cannot be mentioned, on behalf of a client who must remain secret.

So the big multi-national commodities (er....Trafigura), that paid these people only a dust-full of money and wanted those people in Ivory Coast to remain silent and agree that they didn't suffer any adverse health effects (and promise not to tell if they do), want's to remain silent.

ah,...ya..

Savor the following here......

....Knowing this, lawyers for Trafigura, Carter-Ruck, obtained a second, secret media injuction to prevent reporting of Paul Farrely MP's questions. That this alleged order was granted is a bold and dangerous move by the High Court towards the total privatization of censorship. Is a multi-billion pound commodities trader a truer expression of the national will than the House of Commons? The question is no longer rhetorical. ....

This is a joke.

Democracy is beginning to be joke.

Let's all go back in time and visit Stalin, shall we??

Here's the link:

....scuze me will I go f@*k'in cry now.
    Last edited by SealLion; 14.10.09 at 02:20.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (15.02.10) , slikrapid (17.10.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    this was your previous post on the toxic waste disposal there:

its strange to see this amount of secrecy in favor of one big company, sure, it may have repercussions on the uk parliament members, but still, quite unusual since we aren't aware of any really top secret classified reasons for such secrecy - therefore i would say it is just an experiment set in motion by the top uk puppeteers, in order to assess & verify what kind of response/resistance (public/media/other) they would get from this move and see whether they can get away with it - if they do, you can expect more cases with secrecy gags considering other (probably far more sensitive/important) subjects
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (15.02.10)

+ Reply to Thread