Thread: Al Jazeera English: When censorship becomes the norm

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Al Jazeera English: When censorship becomes the norm

This is true, I believe.

Media 'hotspots' are the places where a free press is almost non-existent and independent media are either silenced by government forces, overpowered by state-owned broadcasters, or shut out of conflict zones, unable to report the story at all.

We start this week's report with a look back at the coverage from Gaza - the media blockade, and the spin from within the war zone that was designed to mask the truth.
    Video available for viewing at website.

Here's the link:

"God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (13.09.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    another reason why we need reliable alternative sources of information from dedicated & thorough people who aren't likely to be intimidated or bribed or suckered into spreading disinformation or just re-typing official versions of events

naturally, the government wants to look pristine & anything that stands in the way will be deleted/re-interpreted/blamed on someone else or just ignored/marginalized

hopefully people are smart enough to know that things are never black & white but shades of gray

i remember one professional photographer saying - never believe what they give you (the government), always doubt and check it out to be sure
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (13.09.09)

P2P Client
    Sbi leecher 1.8 by butcho
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss12
    They censor women, costumes, food, internet, markets, beliefs... the media are simply one more artifact of opinion and propaganda during conflicts. Press is a weapon of war like any other and real free press is only possible a few years after the war is over when no interests are in between.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (13.09.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasec View Post
    the media are simply one more artifact of opinion and propaganda during conflicts. Press is a weapon of war like any other and real free press is only possible a few years after the war is over when no interests are in between.
    i'm afraid it doesn't matter whether it is war or not - there are always some interests to protect/pursue

actually free press is theoretically always possible, the question is how (easily) can they get to crucial reliable information & what information spread/radius or what level of public awareness can they achieve as they usually exist on society's margins
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

(18.01.22) , SealLion (15.09.09)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    BAsically, the more people know of alternative media, the greater the awareness of the news that alternative media's bring out to the public.

there's many.

Axis of logic is just one of many. Wikileaks is another. I like to believe that Al-Jazeera is yet another as it gives news from an other persective that is not western-based.

Dissendent Voice is yet another.

Now that I've mentioned a few, I think that I"ll start bring in a few articles from those sources.

And yes, I am fully aware that it is important to be able to understand the difference between some conspiracy site and 'real' alternative news.

News from your local media is one thing, news that you normally don't hear, is at least I find, another.

And of course, it also has a lot to do with the interest that people have in hearing news from legit alternative news sources.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (19.09.09)

+ Reply to Thread