+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wikileaks: Internet Anonymity: Why It Really Does Matter

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Wikileaks: Internet Anonymity: Why It Really Does Matter

This is an editorial that was published on wikileaks. org website.

It's basically an article that talks about where Google is subpoenaed to turn over private information.

I think that many of the readers here on the forum are finding that this sort of news and expose' are becoming more and more familiar.

In our case, b/c we download and upload material to distribute amongst our peers on torrent sites, onto IRC, over to eMule, etc...etc.., this matter really does concern us, yes??

check it out, though:

By Robert X. Cringely (InfoWorld)

Over the last few weeks I've spent probably too much time thinking and writing about the Liskula Cohen libel case........

................But today brings news of a case where anonymity on the Net absolutely needs to be protected. It too involves a court subpoena ordering Google to turn over private information; in this case, the names of the owners of tcijournal@gmail.com, the e-mail address for The TCI Journal, a muckracking news site based in the Turks & Caicos Islands.......... The TCI Journal mostly appears to have been reporting on an inquiry into government corruption
    and reprinting letters from readers about the topic.

Lawyers for the developer wanted the site to redact any mentions of the developer in its reports, which to its credit The TCI Journal declined to do

and then a tad bit more about the usual goings-on: corruption.

According to Wikileaks, which knows a thing or two about floating money laundering operations and whistle-blower anonymity, TCI's anonymous journalism...

... culminated in a dramatic UK governance takeover of the Islands on August 14.

A trail of evidence dug up by the TCI Journal, a UK commission of inquiry, and others, showed that foreign property developers were giving millions in secret loans and payments to senior Islander politicians, including an alleged $500,000 cash payment to the Island's now former Premier, Michael Misick

un-frak'in-believable.

I don't exactly know the meaning of 'muckracking', but I think it might involve something like in the way of slandering and/or abuse of some kind unto another....you'll have to correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's the link.

check it out.

If your really interested in internet anonimity, the article isn't all that long to read. But it is interesting, though.

enjoy :)

Last edited by SealLion; 02.09.09 at 05:49.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

SBfreak (03.09.09) , slikrapid (03.09.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    from wiki:

A muckraker is an individual who seeks to expose or reveal corruption of
    businesses or government to the public.
    wikileaks=muckracking site
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (03.09.09)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    ah, ok. I see, Basically a site that posts muck about people and organizations when their is muck to see.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread