Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    I set it.
    How will know if this ghostleeching works? Do I check in my tracker profile?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Ghostleeching works by "hitting" the tracker just once to get as many peers as you can.

You may see that the torrent appears in your profile for around an hour, then disappears.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    Thank you for your help, but I just noticed that if I want this to work, I need to change my IP, and I can't do that!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    The IP change is just to enhance security, as they won't see the same IP that announced to the tracker in the swarm. If you're desperate, you ghostleech without changing it
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    No, as long as I have Vuze mod I think I'll just fine!
    Thanks

Unregistered

IP hiding

Hi !
    Thanks for your tutorials Anon, I haven't tested anything yet, i'm just trying to document myself and be sure to understand everything before starting.

- I was just wondering something about IP changing. If my understanding is correct, ghostleeching consists on being invisible from the tracker once we have passed the first steps you described in the tuto. Then, why to change IP again ? is it still visible for the tracker ? As if I believe your other tutorial here: http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...?threadid=4279, we can only be semi-anonymous, hiding from the trackers, but we can not hide our real IP from the peer-list.
    Am I right ?

- I was also interested in what somebody asked previously here, is this utorent version behaving as any other "standard" client if we don't apply the tutorial in a non-ghostleeching use ?

(sorry for my english ^^)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    - I was just wondering something about IP changing. If my understanding is correct, ghostleeching consists on being invisible from the tracker once we have passed the first steps you described in the tuto.
    Basically - it's about announcing just once to get as much peers as possible, then leech from them while you no longer report anything to the tracker (and therefore avoid affecting your ratio).

Then, why to change IP again ?
    You should change your IP so that they can't see the same address that announced to the tracker inside the swarm.

As if I believe your other tutorial here: http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...?threadid=4279, we can only be semi-anonymous, hiding from the trackers, but we can not hide our real IP from the peer-list.
    Am I right ?
    You can conceal your address from other peers as well by using a VPN or "torrent proxy" service, but that's outside my tutorial's scope.

- I was also interested in what somebody asked previously here, is this utorent version behaving as any other "standard" client if we don't apply the tutorial in a non-ghostleeching use ?
    No, since it ignores the private flag and doesn't send the "completed" one.
    Thanks

Unregistered
    thx for your answers !

It's now more clear even if it remains a little tecnical for me ^^

I saw this more than a way to enforce anonymity even if it's not the purpose (actually i'm not using private trackers nor concerned with ratios !)

It also looks like this version of utorrent can't be installed in a vmw virtual machine, which is a problem for me.

Anyway, thanks again !

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I saw this more than a way to enforce anonymity even if it's not the purpose (actually i'm not using private trackers nor concerned with ratios !)
    That's right, the main purpose is not changing your ratio, rather than anonymity/security; after all you'll still transfer the files (there's a way to disable upload, though).

It also looks like this version of utorrent can't be installed in a vmw virtual machine, which is a problem for me.
    An anti-unpacking security measure. However, I plan to make my future uTorrent mods VM-friendly.
    Thanks

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    That's right, the main purpose is not changing your ratio, rather than anonymity/security; after all you'll still transfer the files (there's a way to disable upload, though).
    Thanks once again for this great tip !
    I'm afraid it may not be so usefull for me, nor enough in regard of the new "anti-piracy" measures in france... as even if I don't upload I'll still be visible in the peer-list, don't I ?
    If it's not the case, this is the perfect solution combined with the "semi-anonymous" method !

Unfortunately, I guess I'll have to stuck with a VPN option.. :/

(Sorry for the off-topic, and congratulations for your great contributions here !)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Yes, you'll still show up in the peerlist. I don't know how anti-P2P works on France - if downloading is allowed but downloading is not (a post by rom08 hints at this), abookhalil's method should be enough to keep you safe. You won't need my semi-anonymous torrenting method.

Otherwise, a VPN is the only solution. UltraVPN, a free service with good speeds, was working just great until today.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    7/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2066
    anon: once you said me a simple script could disable ghostleechers, but:
    You should change your IP so that they can't see the same address that announced to the tracker inside the swarm.
    Isn't this enough to trick them out? I mean, I understand why it's important to have a high S/L in order to confuse admins, but I can't see a scenario where they could catch you. Could you describe an example of how a script would detect the ghostleecher?
    Using your mod, at the first announce, do you get inscribed on the snatchlist? Does it send eventstart?
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Changing your IP enhances security:

Could you describe an example of how a script would detect the ghostleecher?
    By looking at the fact that you announced just once. Even if you didn't want to download the torrent anymore, your client would send &event=stopped after deleting it.

Using your mod, at the first announce, do you get inscribed on the snatchlist? Does it send eventstart?
    Yes, it sends &event=started, and it'll show you in semi-permanent snatchlists.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (29.05.09)

P2P Client
    qbittorrent; RM+
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss793
    first: good tut
    2 questions: 1.Must I seed after finished the torrent ?
    2.Are there experiences about GL ?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    7/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2066
    2 questions: 1.Must I seed after finished the torrent ?
    Only if you want to help other peers, because no tracker stats will be recorded.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast