+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on Piracy and Torrents?

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss105

Post Thoughts on Piracy and Torrents?

Since the arrest of Alan Ellis of the late and great OiNK.cd and admins of other respected sites, I've been thinking about it and talking to a lot of people about the topic of piracy and torrent trackers.

What makes downloading a movie for personal use, different from a friend or family member making a copy from a store bought original for you? Same with music. Other than the fact that downloading is easier to track. I know piracy is stealing, because it's intellectual property and can be a federal offense.
    There are a lot of musicians out there that say piracy takes away money from their pockets, but don't they get enough from the sale of concert tickets an clothes? Real musicians care more about their art than the money. Some people I know make shirts with a bands logo, an exact copy of a shirt that is sold through a store and doesn't get any trouble from it. Wouldn't that be almost the same as making a copy of a dvd or cd?

I fully agree with what Alan Ellis said during an interview after his arrest. "My site is no different to something like Google. If Google directed someone to a site they can illegally download music they are doing the same as what I have been accused of." Google, Yahoo, Ask.com and many other search engines direct people to ways that they can download content, but it's the admins of torrent trackers who get all the "fun" of the law.

To me, piracy can't be completely stopped. There are so many users on the internet that won't let that happen. Perfect example of that, Oink gets shut down and a new tracker going online the next day. You can shut one of us down but you can't shut all of us down.

These are just some thoughts that a few friends and I share. I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this topic.
    c&p from another forum

Oink founder: We're just like Google - Telegraph

An old but interesting and contentious topic for discussion, one that has many levels I think. Personally im comfortable sharing what I have (things that I have paid for ). The authorities screaming foul would have us believe that their companies are suffering (financially of course) and that the artists are being deprived of their fair cut. Well I haven't heard or read of any of these companies going under yet and the artists I suggest are probably still better off than many people.... I could go on and on but what do you think?
    Last edited by anon; 16.11.08 at 21:21. Reason: put text passages between QUOTE tags!
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Well,I think history remember that a couple of those Artists had a nice chilly during-summer interview informing all p2pers about his good feeling & positive impression about what so called Inet piracy when he stated that his music get globally promoted in no time...so I guess yeah,you're kinda right,those companies are just keeping extra reserves by hiring those cheap bounty hunters anti-p2p organizations to chase p2pers everywhere...
    Thanks

Section Mod
    P2P Client
    uTorrent-1991
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3791
    Real musicians care more about their art than the money.
    Thats real and i think in the same way...and my friends to

What is the meaning of life ....... for me is the way I live and the importance of awareness and I'm not what I have............your not your house ....your car..or
    your money........
    Last edited by Se7Ven; 17.11.08 at 23:55.

Nosce Te Ipsum
    Thanks

P2P Client
    azu
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss346
    i think piracy is all just crap even after all these things they still earn in billions
    so y bother about such a petty issue
    Thanks

P2P Client
    vuze
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss327
    "Since the arrest of Alan Ellis of the late and great OiNK.cd and admins of other respected sites, I've been thinking about it and talking to a lot of people about the topic of piracy and torrent trackers.
    "

my question is was the relly worh going to jail and waste your life and money for piracy just because pirates stuff.

this isnt roobin hood trying to take from rich and give to poor ppl. its about vertiual world full of software that just get shared around, sure ppl have used for them but in what cost? jail

personally i dont like piracy but something i like for sure is to steal from pirates and thats what we do here
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Quote Originally Posted by mammamia11 View Post
    my question is was the relly worh going to jail and waste your life and money for piracy just because pirates stuff.
    for them yeah,it worths starting a real war with weaponary if necessary to stop those so called "Pirates" of copywrighted contents
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread