+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Updating your HOSTS file.

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss73
    haha you got me there, fortunately i don't use winamp

yeah, if you upgrade right now to 2009 version the GUI will be very different but the underneath is very much also

btw lately i got much inbound connection to PROTOXXX where the process is system, do you have any idea?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by pi_1st View Post
    btw lately i got much inbound connection to PROTOXXX where the process is system, do you have any idea?
    Can you post a pic? I know that when process "n/a" (low level network access) receives a lot of incoming connections it means that other people want to connect to a port of yours that is no longer open, but I have no idea about System - which isn't really a process.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss73
    probably later, i think it only happened when my torrents is active

the stupid things is the firewall just can't block all that PROTOXXX incoming connection with single rule.
    it doesn't allow that, and the protocol is IP not TCP or UDP.. weird..
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    probably later, i think it only happened when my torrents is active
    OK I have googled that PROTOXXX thing to see if there was some info about it, but couldn't find anything.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss73
    yeah i have done that, i only found harmless information
    but i'm really suspicious about this, the last thing i want is my pc become bots for nasa or riaa or whatever

by PROTOXXX i mean is PROTO41, PROTO179, etc
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    yeah i have done that, i only found harmless information

by PROTOXXX i mean is PROTO41, PROTO179, etc
    Thanks for clearing that up. I did another search for those codes, and found someone with a very similar problem:
    Protocol 41 inbound block always present

To know what protocol is associated with a PROTOxxx code, you can refer to this list.

but i'm really suspicious about this, the last thing i want is my pc become bots for nasa or riaa or whatever
    I doubt this , but if you want to be sure, run an online antivirus scan, and check what if you can find anything strange with HiJackThis and Autoruns.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss73
    hmm.. why did i didn't find that before.. lol

that article is very interesting, they sure know what they are talking about

judging from the circumstances my conclusion is this, a peer is trying to communicate with my p2p app using ip6 over ip4, that's why it's only happened when my torrents is active

and that also explained why it is now my system that tries to connect with that protocol, grin, like in the attached pic if you are still interested
    but i block all that anyway meh

still don't know why or care the peer have to tunnel the ip6 over ip4 though, p2p apps support ip6 right? and the so many protocol type used not just 41, it could be an intrusion after all..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proto21b.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	1398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proto55b.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	1399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proto123b.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	1400  
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.12.08)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    judging from the circumstances my conclusion is this, a peer is trying to communicate with my p2p app using ip6 over ip4, that's why it's only happened when my torrents is active
    That's a good explanation, specially if you use uT and have installed IPv6/Teredo.

and that also explained why it is now my system that tries to connect with that protocol, grin, like in the attached pic if you are still interested
    but i block all that anyway meh
    nothing.attdns.com resolves to 127.0.0.2. n003-000-000-000.static.ge.com doesn't resolve to anything (looks like a General Electric-owned address, though), and I can't ping 111.61.0.23.

still don't know why or care the peer have to tunnel the ip6 over ip4 though, p2p apps support ip6 right? and the so many protocol type used not just 41, it could be an intrusion after all..
    What's your BitTorrent client? uTorrent 1.8+ and Azureus can take advantage of IPv6. Maybe you've installed the IPv6 protocol for your connection? Check "network connections" - I personally only have IPv4 installed and nothing else.

If you have v6 installed and don't need it, remove it instead of blocking that traffic.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss73
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    That's a good explanation, specially if you use uT and have installed IPv6/Teredo.
    my vista comes preinstalled with ipv6 and i don't install ipv6/teredo using my p2p app

What's your BitTorrent client? uTorrent 1.8+ and Azureus can take advantage of IPv6. Maybe you've installed the IPv6 protocol for your connection? Check "network connections" - I personally only have IPv4 installed and nothing else.

If you have v6 installed and don't need it, remove it instead of blocking that traffic.
    is it possible to disable ipv6 on utorrent 1.8+ or azureus? i don't use that client if you asked lol
    hmm.. i don't think that ipv6 is useful at the moment but i also don't like to ruin the stabilization of my system, i probably will keep it for now

n003-000-000-000.static.ge.com doesn't resolve to anything (looks like a General Electric-owned address, though)
    that's funny, the firewall first show ip number then changed to that in second or two, probably it will work the other way around, hmm...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    my vista comes preinstalled with ipv6 and i don't install ipv6/teredo using my p2p app
    That'd be the cause. Your OS knows about IPv6, and therefore your BT client tries to use it. It's most likely because of your ISP/a tracker/peers supporting it.

is it possible to disable ipv6 on utorrent 1.8+ or azureus? i don't use that client if you asked lol
    hmm.. i don't think that ipv6 is useful at the moment but i also don't like to ruin the stabilization of my system, i probably will keep it for now
    With "BitTorrent client" I meant which client you use to transfer files over the BitTorrent protocol, i.e. uTorrent, Azureus, BitComet, etc.

It's not possible to hard-disable IPv6 in uTorrent 1.8+ - it will use it if available, and won't if you don't have it installed. But to make Azureus prefer v4 over v6 when both are installed, you can go to Tools -> Options -> Connection -> Advanced Network Settings, and untick "Prefer IPv6 addresses when both IPv6 and IPv4 are available".

And I understand what you mean - never touch a running system. But I have seen reports of people that got their network to speed up, or even work at all, by disabling IPv6 when they didn't need it; so if you want to try, here's how to do it in Vista.

that's funny, the firewall first show ip number then changed to that in second or two, probably it will work the other way around, hmm...
    Perhaps your ISP's DNS servers are making it resolve to something, while here it doesn't. I'm using OpenDNS.

To find out what hostname is associated to an IP address, you can use ping -a. For example,
    Code:
    ping -a x.x.x.x
    would x.x.x.x's associated domain name. This doesn't always work.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345