P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435

The Opera Thread

opera users may have long waited for this:
    and as anon and me have inquired the guys from chip.de got it exclusively which means that we here, at sb-i, are nearly the first guys who can use the final version of opera 9.6.
    although the built-in update function of opera 9.52 and the website itself don't show the update so far its still the final which you can download on the website:

Opera - Download - CHIP Online

because only chip.de offers the final version, i couldnt get the real changelog of the final but i provide you with latest changelogs beginning from the beta1.

Quote Originally Posted by Opera Changelog
    Opera 9.6 Beta 1 for Windows Changelog
    Release Notes

This is a beta version of Opera. Please use it only on properly backed up computers.

New and improved features

Opera Link
    Custom search engines and typed history (typed history is only the history you explicitly type or select from the address bar) are now joining bookmarks, speed dial, personal bar, and notes in Opera Link.
    Feed Preview

Now you can preview an RSS/Atom feed before subscribing.
    Opera Mail

Low Bandwidth Mode

Low Bandwidth Mode is a setting on mail accounts that makes Opera Mail use as little bandwidth as possible.
    For IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol), this means that Opera will only synchronise new messages and it will not fetch message attachments unless requested
    For POP (Post Office Protocol), Opera will not fetch more than the first 100 lines of a message unless requested

Follow/Ignore threads and contacts
    Follow and Ignore are new features for users that receive numerous messages. It makes it easier to dismiss unimportant messages and easier to recognise important messages.
    Activate this feature by selecting Follow/Ignore in the email context menu (or click the message subject header), then select either Follow Thread or Ignore Thread. Also, you can click the names in the From or To headers to enable the following or ignoring of contacts.

Go To Thread
    You can now also use "Go to thread" which means that you can view only the messages from that thread. This is useful for those that employ flat view.

Changes since Opera 9.52
    User Interface
    Opera now remembers the bookmark panel position after restart

Added a setting opera:config#UserPrefs|

ShowBookmarksInAddressfieldAutocompletion to prevent bookmarks from showing in the Address field auto-completion drop-down

When setting opera:config#TransferWindow|KeepEntriesDays to 0, Opera now removes the transfer history when restarting

The new Opera Scrollmaker will indicate the previous position of the bottom or top of the page after a scroll action, and needs to be enabled with opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableScrollMarker
    Value 0 means: off
    Value 1 means: show when reaching the bottom or top of the page, and when the last scroll action scrolls less than a full page's amount
    Value 2 means: always show when scrolling
    Once enabled, it will indicate the position of the bottom or top of the page before a scroll action is initiated

Sites using HTTP Auth are now saved in typed history

Opera now stops loading pages with iframes when closing the page or pressing stop

The document property has been removed from iframe objects for compatibility with Gecko, WebKit, and the Acid3 test

The fraud protection dialog now works when using a proxy

Mail, News, Chat
    The account settings dialog can now be configured to prevent IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) accounts from downloading attachments until requested by a user

Fixed open/save of images in Opera Mail when using the image context menu
    Made all top-level access points (except All Messages) selectable
    Display and Scripting

Fixed a problem where dynamically added xml-stylesheet processing instructions were ignored

Added support for the caller property on functions: caller - MDC

Miscellaneous
    Added Core version (currently "Presto/2.1.1") to the User Agent header
    Windows-specific changes

Fixed text input on Windows Tablet PC Edition 2005

Changelog of the RC2:

SSL error pages now display again
    Fixed an issue where RSS 1.0 feeds sent as text/html would not be recognized
    Fixed an issue where opening links with the keyboard after an inline find would open the link twice
    Some stability fixes (proxy crasher should be fixed, please test those that reproduced it before)
    sources:
    Opera 9.6 Beta 1 for Windows Changelog
    Opera 9.6 RC 2 - Desktop Team - by Opera Desktop Team

greetz & thx to anon for helping with this too!

__EDIT__

as winfuture.de states in its article, the final version of opera is similar to the Release Candidate 2 Build 10447.

source: WinFuture.de - Browser Opera in neuer Version 9.60 veröffentlicht

who had installed this version of opera doesnt need to uninstall it and download the final cause its the same.
    Last edited by vDD+wR; 07.10.08 at 21:15.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

abookhalil (16.10.09) , v6ph1 (08.10.08) , LongbowArcher (07.10.08) , hitman (07.10.08) , SealLion (07.10.08) , divlord (07.10.08) , shoulder (07.10.08) , anon (07.10.08)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I love Opera, eh??

Did you know that OPera also has stumbleupon?
    The same that FF browser has. I made a post of this elsewhere here.

But Opera is a great browser, though.

What I like about it is the mouse gestures. Something that lacks in firefox. With FF, you have to use mouse and hotkeys.

Lots of things I like about Opera. The ability to automatically place your username and pass into the appropriate fields with hotkeys.
    With FF, you still have to type at least the first letter before your pass and username show up. ....I know....security feature and all.

OPera is such a great browser. Too bad its under-appreciated. I find anyways. I think all the attention is on FF, you know.

o
    Last edited by SealLion; 07.10.08 at 23:09.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2777
    well looks like SealLion really love this browser.....maybe i as an ff user should give it a try

cheaten - wieso kompliziert wenn's auch einfach geht.!

No Place to Hide
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Thanks vDD

@SL: I don't use mouse gestures myself, but they're a nice feature to have.

And regarding the password wand, yes, that's very handy, but remember the wand.dat file's encryption can be broken very easily (unless you set a master password). So as I don't use one, I have told Opera not to remember the passwords of important sites (SB-I, trackers and my e-mail box), and to delete cookies on exit, just in case I'm hacked.

Too bad it isn't as widespread as FF like you said. But who knows, maybe this changes over time. Also remember Chrome has gained a lot of attention recently, even surpassing Opera (which has been around for yers) when it comes to market share in just a few weeks.

@hit: you're going to try Opera? That's good! If you need help, tips, etc. just tell me.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss677
    I think its good that Opera ist underestimated...makes it less attractive for Hackers... :-D
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

mabuse (01.09.09) , v6ph1 (08.10.08)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2777
    well im using it now as default browser its quite amazing how much faster the sites are loading i only need now plugins like noscript because i cant deactivate for the whole sites the java plugin that would be a little bit to much

No Place to Hide
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    i'm not quite sure if it's that what youre looking for, but i hope this can help you as well!
    it's a quite long thread but that's the only thing that i've found so far:

A Script like NoScript. - User JavaScript - Opera Community

hope i could help.

greetz vDD
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

anon (09.10.08) , Mutter (08.10.08)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    @vDD: I think that's exactly what he's looking for. BlockIt is essentially the Opera equivalent of NoScript, and works very well.

@hitman: Glad to know you're now an Opera user!
    I have posted a mini-tutorial in how to use BlockIt here.
    And I personally keep Java always disabled unless I need it, because a Flash technology called Live Connect sometimes loads the whole JRE into memory, often without a good reason. Just a tip
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    @vDD: I think that's exactly what he's looking for. BlockIt is essentially the Opera equivalent of NoScript, and works very well.
    good to hear that! hopefully it works well too, cause it isnt final...

@hitman: Glad to know you're now an Opera user!
    yes! another user that converted to the right! lol

I have posted a mini-tutorial in how to use BlockIt here.
    *advertisement lol *thats good, cause your efforts should be seen around here!

And I personally keep Java always disabled unless I need it, because a Flash technology called Live Connect sometimes loads the whole JRE into memory, often without a good reason. Just a tip
    thats a great tip, thx! didnt know that!
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

anon (08.10.08)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Thanks!
    I'm now back home, and have installed v9.6. During installation it asked me for an Opera installer.msi file I didn't have. Clicking Cancel was enough for setup to proceed and finish perfectly.
    Overall it works pretty much fine - have had an issue with SB-I index's announcements where only the first line would be shown, but that's now fixed.
    Regarding tips, here are also some others:

• Users of old computers should probably turn javascript off by default unless a page requires it. Remember F12 toggles these settings easily and quickly.
    • Try "Delete Private Data" clearing everything (you shouldn't need to delete cookies or wand passwords), to see if clearing the cache, history and favicons helps.
    • Set Opera to accept all cookies. You can set individual cookies treatment within Opera 9+ version like SPP. For Opera's general info for Security and Privacy see [http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/security/privacy].
    • Favicons will use resources, if you need absolutely minimal resource usage, turn them off (show no icons) in Prefs » Advanced » Browsing » Page Icons. If you want to have a few permanent icons and delete the rest with Delete Private Data (set using "clear bookmark visited time"), then go to your profile/images directory and make the images you want to keep read only.
    • To save a few CPU cycles, turn off special effects for the UI and use a native skin (native skins use less resources).
    • Put the cache on a drive different to windows (see OperaTips for how) and keep the drives well defragmented.
    • You may save some RAM by unpacking the executables; see PackedExecutables for more.
    • Converting the disk cache to a RAM cache will also speed things up; if you want to try a flash disk, see below.
    • Some people change the process priority of Opera to get a further enhancement (set to 'high'), but only do this if you are not multitasking with other apps.
    Source: Opera Performance Enhancements

They also have other troubleshooting steps in that page. Disabling "turbo mode" is specially a good idea to save resources:

If you want to save memory and resources, edit opera6.ini and add:
    Code:
    Turbo mode=0
    Remember also that Shift+i toggles graphics between off/cache/on - you can use a default of cached only and this will greatly speed up page load, pressing Shift+i to load any images (or right-clicking individual pictures and selecting Load Image). It is also possible to press i to load all images on a page that requires images to be displayed.
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

vDD+wR (08.10.08)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I like the post that was made by one of the users there at the Opera forum on the noscript for Opera

Thank you so much for this great script. With the new block-by-default option, I can finally dump Firefox!

LOL...kind of funny, I thought.

EDIT:

what is the difference between
    Boost Turbo=0
    which is located in the same .ini file??

and the turbo mode=0

i
    Last edited by SealLion; 09.10.08 at 03:47.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Sorry. But I've had to double post for this.

There was an anti js that one could download from the Opera Community. I found this quite a while back some few weeks ago.

I passed this info on to Anon. I think that he's also using this as I am.

There is a small thread about Blockit.js that does one up on the noscript.js that 'shoust' made.

And I have to agree. The blockit.js does work pretty good.

THe link is here:

BlockIt, the User Javascript answer to NoScript - User JavaScript - Opera Community

Read the whole thread to understand how to install it and where. It really does excellent work too as the noscript.js apparantly does.

HOLY Frak!!!!

I'm over 200 posts!!!

I spend waaaay tooo much time here,dudes. Waaaayyy tooo much time.

o
    Last edited by SealLion; 09.10.08 at 04:18.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2777
    i have blockit running but well i have to say that it is not confortable in some situations like noscript. at all blockit is a combination of noscript and adblock for ff it makes a good job but well loocking on all the ff plugins there is a lot of space to improve and im still divided in 2 pieces because of this both browsers have positive and negative aspects. and im not loocking on this as a ff fanboy because im interested only in functionalaty, speed..........

No Place to Hide
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    EDIT:

what is the difference between
    which is located in the same .ini file??

and the turbo mode=0
    I don't know, what's Boost turbo supposed to do?

Turbo mode is an Opera feature that will start rendering images the second you receive a part of them, and not "popping" them up when they finish transfering instead. So that this way it "feels" smoother, but re-scaling images several times a second uses a lot of CPU. Disabling it avoids these resource usage spikes, but page rendering will feel less smooth as images having finished transfering will "pop" up from nowhere... I personally don't care about this, so I have disabled it.

Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    Sorry. But I've had to double post for this.

There was an anti js that one could download from the Opera Community. I found this quite a while back some few weeks ago.

I passed this info on to Anon. I think that he's also using this as I am.

There is a small thread about Blockit.js that does one up on the noscript.js that 'shoust' made.

And I have to agree. The blockit.js does work pretty good.

THe link is here:

BlockIt, the User Javascript answer to NoScript - User JavaScript - Opera Community

Read the whole thread to understand how to install it and where. It really does excellent work too as the noscript.js apparantly does.
    Yes, BlockIt ftw.

HOLY Frak!!!!

I'm over 200 posts!!!

I spend waaaay tooo much time here,dudes. Waaaayyy tooo much time.
    Congrats for your 200th post and thumbs up

Edit @hit: hopefully we'll get your problem fixed soon over ICQ
    Last edited by anon; 09.10.08 at 15:04.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    @anon: you mean operadef6.ini ? since there is no opera6.ini file at all,searched all sub-directories for that...also inside the operadef6.ini there wasn't anything related to "Turbo mode = 0" part...
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast