+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome security flaw discovered

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410

Google Chrome security flaw discovered

Google has downplayed reports of a security vulnerability in its newly-launched Chrome web browser.

Within a day of Chrome's launch, security researchers reported that Chrome had the same auto-download flaw as Apple's Safari web browser.

They said Chrome was developed using the same open-source WebKit rendering engine, and also allowed files to be downloaded automatically to the desktop.

Safari originally did not ask users' permission to download files, which meant malicious code could be dumped on desktops in so-called carpet bomb attacks.
    Google Chrome security flaw discovered | 4 Sep 2008 | ComputerWeekly.com
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    I guess they need to work their a$$ up harder than that just to prove that they really did a good job & not waste their yet new project right into the drain
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Well, they did do a good job - but should have started from the WebKit codebase where this bug had already been fixed
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    yeah but I don't think it existed at the first place when they coded the browser,I mean it surely showed up right after the release was out
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    No - Safari, whose engine Chrome uses, had already fixed the issue before Chrome itself was out...
    Wonder why Google chose to use an old codebase -_-
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    maybe the google developers started coding chrome parallel to safari and therefore used the old codebase at that time...
    but that wouldn't explain why they implemented an up to date java engine and not the old one too...

who knows...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Yes, it's a mistery...

Quote Originally Posted by http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=2BA0BB3E-17A4-0F78-3124E96A4A153156
    The "carpet bomb" bug, revealed by researcher Nitesh Dhanjani in early May and named for the way it could be used to dump files onto the Windows desktop, stemmed from the fact that Safari did not require a user's permission to download a file. Attackers, Dhanjani said, could populate a malicious site with rogue code that Safari would automatically download to the desktop, where it might tempt a curious user into opening the file.

After first balking -- for a time it refused the classify the flaw as a security vulnerability -- Apple patched the bug in mid-June by updating Safari to 3.1.2.

But Google used a pre-patch version of WebKit to build Chrome, and so the bug, which was also patched in later editions of WebKit, slipped through. According to Raff, the Chrome beta uses the older WebKit 525.13, the engine used by Safari 3.1.
    Update

I don't know if the bug is fixed in the latest Chrome version, but a workaround exists:

Quote Originally Posted by same article
    Users can set an option in Chrome that will thwart Raff's exploit by popping up a warning asking for a filename and location for any downloaded file. To change Chrome, select Options under the "Customize and control Google Chrome " menu; the menu is at the far right, near the top, and although not named, looks like a small wrench. Next, click the "Minor Tweaks" tab in the Options window, then check the box that reads "Ask where to save each file before downloading."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    lol, its quite kind of funny to see how google messed up the beta..
    i mean, this security hole for example had to be found by the chrome developers or testers...

Quote Originally Posted by anon
    I don't know if the bug is fixed in the latest Chrome version, but a workaround exists:
    quite a funny imagination: chrome installation takes about 1 minute, and fixing the security holes by yourself about an hour or two, lol... but pretty frustrating that we really have to do it..
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze SB-I 3.1.1.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss147
    watch out

Code:
    <title></title>
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by vDD+wR View Post
    lol, its quite kind of funny to see how google messed up the beta..
    i mean, this security hole for example had to be found by the chrome developers or testers...
    I agree, it should have been found... I mean, the bug with the extremely long TITLE or A HREF tags isn't new: IE4 has had it before with IMG (MS worked around it by not displaying an image if its width and height properties are too big, I think).

quite a funny imagination: chrome installation takes about 1 minute, and fixing the security holes by yourself about an hour or two, lol... but pretty frustrating that we really have to do it..
    We also need to remove the unique ID from Local State.tmp every time Chrome is started
    Mmm no, I'd better stick with Opera for now
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    We also need to remove the unique ID from Local State.tmp every time Chrome is started
    yeah very annoying.. but isnt there a possibility that the .tmp file didn't get deleted after you close the browser? and then turn on the write-protection, so that you have to do just once when starting it for the first time?

greetz
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    but isnt there a possibility that the .tmp file didn't get deleted after you close the browser? and then turn on the write-protection, so that you have to do just once when starting it for the first time?
    It's easy to ignore write-protection

But actually, now I think about it, it's possible to make a .bat to possibly automate this: it would always keep a copy of a callhome-free file under a different name; start Chrome, wait a bit, then use that file to replace the .tmp that's just been created.
    It may work!
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    Quote Originally Posted by anon
    But actually, now I think about it, it's possible to make a .bat to possibly automate this: it would always keep a copy of a callhome-free file under a different name; start Chrome, wait a bit, then use that file to replace the .tmp that's just been created.
    It may work!
    thought already of a .bat file too, but nevertheless you have to access everytime the .bat which will be pretty depressing too after a time

but its better than nothing, for sure!

It's easy to ignore write-protection
    didn't know that.. i thought that when i tick the box then this is the final say.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    thought already of a .bat file too, but nevertheless you have to access everytime the .bat which will be pretty depressing too after a time

You can make a shortcut to the .bat and launch Chrome through it instead, that's less depressing

didn't know that.. i thought that when i tick the box then this is the final say.
    No, not really: after all, if you try to delete a read-only file, the only thing Windows will do to thwart your attempt is (re)confirming whether you want to proceed
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    You can make a shortcut to the .bat and launch Chrome through it instead, that's less depressing
    thats a smart idea, to combine both into one shortcut! if thats possible, then it would be the great compromise

No, not really: after all, if you try to delete a read-only file, the only thing Windows will do to thwart your attempt is (re)confirming whether you want to proceed
    LOL

typical of windows....
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast