+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You mean WinMX still Works?

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Yes, all that combined with the specific network's security tips, correct client settings and an IP blocker with an up-to-date blocklist

And I don't know too much about DC++, but according my checks, probably only 6 or 7 servers aren't fake anymore in eMule, you really have to be a bit careful in the eD2k network... -_-
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Well said anon !! but don't you think that most of the recent network counter measure implementations done by most p2p organizations lately lack of secure p2p mapping ?? com'on Arez & Kazaa were perfect back then with no extra hard work at all,just the users having fun using a well made network to transfer whatever data they like around the globe !! Moreover,the DC++ network is perfectly secure since most of the Hubs require user authitication for network access thru large files hasing cycle that he MUST pass in order to permenantly register to that Hub !! Bad Days of p2p have come already (Miss the old days)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by Reppy View Post
    but don't you think that most of the recent network counter measure implementations done by most p2p organizations lately lack of secure p2p mapping ?
    Sorry, I didn't understand this :S
    Maybe you meant "antip2p organizations" or "P2P developers"?

com'on Arez & Kazaa were perfect back then with no extra hard work at all,just the users having fun using a well made network to transfer whatever data they like around the globe !!
    Yes, I remember those days, defined by Wikipedia as "the times when the network was largely free or fake and corrupt files"...

Having started using Ares for example when there weren't practically any fake files on sight, but now living in a present where you can see MD's computers flood search results with non-existant files every time, definitely contrasts with the past and makes you feel a variety of feelings: hate for AP2Pers, nostalgia for what the network was before, sadness for how they have ruined it forever and pretty much not being able to do anything yourself to help it...

Moreover,the DC++ network is perfectly secure since most of the Hubs require user authitication for network access thru large files hasing cycle that he MUST pass in order to permenantly register to that Hub !!
    I'm not too much of a DC++ user, but it's also true that you can have extra security features (like file hashing or "secure identification") depending on the mod you use, right?
    And of course, there are also leecher DC clients, with features like no-upload, fake file/share count (for hubs that for example won't let you enter if you don't have say 1000 files or 100GB in your shared folder), etc...

Bad Days of p2p have come already (Miss the old days)
    So do I, man, so do I...

2000th post, by the way
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Sorry, I didn't understand this :S
    Maybe you meant "antip2p organizations" or "P2P developers"?
    I meant,that those p2p orgs (Bittorrent Clients/Mods developers) lack of security features when releasing new clients (till we heard about what recent Bittorrent orgs decided to implement in their new releases),so back then,the user was on his/her own all the time,being in risk of fake/malicious files being shared on the network.

Having started using Ares for example when there weren't practically any fake files on sight, but now living in a present where you can see MD's computers flood search results with non-existant files every time, definitely contrasts with the past and makes you feel a variety of feelings: hate for AP2Pers, nostalgia for what the network was before, sadness for how they have ruined it forever and pretty much not being able to do anything yourself to help it...
    yeah same here,but I quit using it once I found out how the Bittorent Network is HUGE enough to get your finger tips on anything you would like to have...

And of course, there are also leecher DC clients, with features like no-upload, fake file/share count (for hubs that for example won't let you enter if you don't have say 1000 files or 100GB in your shared folder), etc...
    Well,yeah that was the Idea of the DC++ network,and still is,but I don't know if there are any mods for DC++ for fake uploading/files hasing cycle but im sure there are some since mods are everywhere for everything you can dream of around the web !!

LOL Congratz on your "2000 posts" Keep it up
    Last edited by Aurion; 25.08.08 at 01:07.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurion View Post
    I meant,that those p2p orgs (Bittorrent Clients/Mods developers) lack of security features when releasing new clients (till we heard about what recent Bittorrent orgs decided to implement in their new releases),so back then,the user was on his/her own all the time,being in risk of fake/malicious files being shared on the network.
    Most P2P systems aren't designed with specifically anonymity or security in mind (well, apart from secure file hashing and the so), because we have networks like Freenet, Entropy, MUTE, etc... for that, and VPN and "torrent proxy" services should we need to use the "conventional" ones (of course you have to pay for these).

yeah same here,but I quit using it once I found out how the Bittorent Network is HUGE enough to get your finger tips on anything you would like to have...
    That's of course right But I mostly use Ares to download individual tracks, and those are pretty hard to get in BT (you have to download discography or compilation .torrents, then untick the tracks you don't want).
    In Ares, yes, I have to surf through every search result until I find a .mp3 that's not fake, and that takes a bit of time, but when I find a good track it's a matter of double-clicking its entry and wait until it finishes downloading
    It's just easier for me, but I appreciate your tip

Well,yeah that was the Idea of the DC++ network,and still is,but I don't know if there are any mods for DC++ for fake uploading/files hasing cycle but im sure there are some since mods are everywhere for everything you can dream of around the web !!
    Yes, there are "bad" DC++ mods
    And of course a lot of "good" ones, with extra features or extensions to the protocol

LOL Congratz on your "2000 posts" Keep it up
    I will
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Most P2P systems aren't designed with specifically anonymity or security in mind (well, apart from secure file hashing and the so), because we have networks like Freenet, Entropy, MUTE, etc... for that, and VPN and "torrent proxy" services should we need to use the "conventional" ones (of course you have to pay for these).
    and this is the problem tho !! most bittorrent clients aren't meant to provide secure p2p experience for users,here comes the glitch,they should have implemented some security features that would have prevented the first cheating mod to work for example or just stop bad a55 jerks from injecting any shellcodes into .torrent files just to make p2pers more comfortable with their torrenting journey,anyway as you mentioned,if you want something extra (not included in the client,manual) then go pay for it,nothing's free lately..

Yes, there are "bad" DC++ mods
    And of course a lot of "good" ones, with extra features or extensions to the protocol
    I guess I will have to dig up Google for some since I got that feeling to start reusing DC++ again like the old days
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    and this is the problem tho !! most bittorrent clients aren't meant to provide secure p2p experience for users,here comes the glitch,they should have implemented some security features that would have prevented the first cheating mod to work for example or just stop bad a55 jerks from injecting any shellcodes into .torrent files just to make p2pers more comfortable with their torrenting journey,anyway as you mentioned,if you want something extra (not included in the client,manual) then go pay for it,nothing's free lately..
    Yes, well, I think they are designed with some security in mind - for example, neither Ares nor the official eMule will show the IPs of people you're downloading from or uploading to, and this adds a small layer of protection for them [you can still know their IP addresses using a network monitor like Windows's netstat, but that's another story]. And BitTorrent clients probably do some basic check on the .torrent before loading it to see if it's been altered, or is valid at all.
    It's just that ways to bypass/crack/defeat these protections, be them small or big, basic or advanced, bad or well coded, can always be found. Developers make sure it's secure, but it can't always fully be. It's one of the principles of hacking

I guess I will have to dig up Google for some since I got that feeling to start reusing DC++ again like the old days
    And a leecher DC mod is the best way to re-start?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Yes, well, I think they are designed with some security in mind - for example, neither Ares nor the official eMule will show the IPs of people you're downloading from or uploading to, and this adds a small layer of protection for them [you can still know their IP addresses using a network monitor like Windows's netstat, but that's another story]. And BitTorrent clients probably do some basic check on the .torrent before loading it to see if it's been altered, or is valid at all.
    It's just that ways to bypass/crack/defeat these protections, be them small or big, basic or advanced, bad or well coded, can always be found. Developers make sure it's secure, but it can't always fully be. It's one of the principles of hacking
    hmm,you are right there anon,a network monitoring tool would be just fine to actually know who's your are dealing with here,but don't you think that uT (for example) just show every peer's IP info already in the peer list you grab once a torrent starts to roll ? anyway,let's not step forward that much already,lots of protection penetrations techniques are implemented by most of the crackers lately,so it won't make a big difference tho even if somebody worked his a55 up for a couple of hours to make other people comfortable thinking they are fully protected while torrenting

And a leecher DC mod is the best way to re-start?
    yeah,you are damn right about that,just want to see how nice it is to enter that HUGE swarm hive without being noticed
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    hmm,you are right there anon,a network monitoring tool would be just fine to actually know who's your are dealing with here,but don't you think that uT (for example) just show every peer's IP info already in the peer list you grab once a torrent starts to roll ?
    Of course it does ^^ I mean those that don't eMule, for example, will show the IP of the server that client is connected to at most. Anyway most programs do show people's IPs. Some look for a "middle spot" instead, and will show just the peer's subnet, like for example 98.76.215.*.

anyway,let's not step forward that much already,lots of protection penetrations techniques are implemented by most of the crackers lately,so it won't make a big difference tho even if somebody worked his a55 up for a couple of hours to make other people comfortable thinking they are fully protected while torrenting
    Yes, and this is where VPN and full torrent proxies enter the scene!
    Some VPN companies go to the extent of calling their service(s) a "virtual firewall" because of this...

yeah,you are damn right about that,just want to see how nice it is to enter that HUGE swarm hive without being noticed
    OK, but don't overdo the fake file and GB count or you'll be noticed for sure
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Of course it does ^^ I mean those that don't eMule, for example, will show the IP of the server that client is connected to at most. Anyway most programs do show people's IPs. Some look for a "middle spot" instead, and will show just the peer's subnet, like for example 98.76.215.*.
    heh ! those peers subnets could be fake as well in most cases using any of the mods available,Im talking about something with pure honest IP list,something linked to a n00b's PC

Yes, and this is where VPN and full torrent proxies enter the scene!
    Some VPN companies go to the extent of calling their service(s) a "virtual firewall" because of this...
    well,such a project would benefit VPN companies in a way much bigger aspect,just to convince more & more people with that shiney product

OK, but don't overdo the fake file and GB count or you'll be noticed for sure
    nah,don't worry,I was using that legal versions of DC++ hashing good files,and I was fine,now I will BANG them up I gues whenever I like
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    heh ! those peers subnets could be fake as well in most cases using any of the mods available,Im talking about something with pure honest IP list,something linked to a n00b's PC
    It doesn't have to be a noob. Both you and me are P2Ping right now, and our IPs are visible to anybody connected to us. That doesn't make us noobs itself, right?

well,such a project would benefit VPN companies in a way much bigger aspect,just to convince more & more people with that shiney product
    Back when it started VPN was mainly used for people to connect and "virtually" (V in VPN ) form part of, say, their workplace's private network, and work as if they were there (regarding networking).
    Now the emphasis is placed on a feature that's, by design, even optional in VPNs (encryption), and people not being able to see your real IP.

nah,don't worry,I was using that legal versions of DC++ hashing good files,and I was fine,now I will BANG them up I gues whenever I like
    So if an admin looks at the shares of who's just joined the hub, he'll see a long list of legit, "true" files, enough for him to close the list before reaching its end
    Do well
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    It doesn't have to be a noob. Both you and me are P2Ping right now, and our IPs are visible to anybody connected to us. That doesn't make us noobs itself, right?
    ya I know I was joking about how a script-kiddie(tm) would penetrates a n00b's PC in no seconds knowing his IP included in the BIG list

Back when it started VPN was mainly used for people to connect and "virtually" (V in VPN ) form part of, say, their workplace's private network, and work as if they were there (regarding networking).
    Now the emphasis is placed on a feature that's, by design, even optional in VPNs (encryption), and people not being able to see your real IP.
    well,once I knew about VPN I believed that it's a good secured network that one can depend on,still not all people would afford renting/purchasing a VPN,that's why the need to do something that provides a more secured implementation should be done sooner or later,just for normal p2p users who wants to have a nice time surfing a couple of trackers thru the day

So if an admin looks at the shares of who's just joined the hub, he'll see a long list of legit, "true" files, enough for him to close the list before reaching its end
    Do well
    nah,in DC++ there is an automated hash files checker that won't allow you to enter tha hub unless the checking phase completes,and if you didn't match the hubs requirements,then you get kicked outside to the main hubs list,so now gonna have some real fun
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    ya I know I was joking about how a script-kiddie(tm) would penetrates a n00b's PC in no seconds knowing his IP included in the BIG list

Well, if a Windows computer has the "Workstation" service running, it's easier for hackers to enter it just knowing your IP; even total lamers with their hands in the right tools can do it.
    Security tip: disable that service Unless you're in a LAN. In that case, install a firewall and only open the ports you need.

nah,in DC++ there is an automated hash files checker that won't allow you to enter tha hub unless the checking phase completes,and if you didn't match the hubs requirements,then you get kicked outside to the main hubs list,so now gonna have some real fun
    Yes, I knew that some hubs control whether you can enter them or not depending on how many shared files or GBs you have.
    I meant that as you have said you have enough shares, that, and admins looking at them won't be a prob for you
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Well, if a Windows computer has the "Workstation" service running, it's easier for hackers to enter it just knowing your IP; even total lamers with their hands in the right tools can do it.
    Security tip: disable that service Unless you're in a LAN. In that case, install a firewall and only open the ports you need.
    well,my connection is based on a LAN line since I use a router,but if you mean that im withing a network,nah,I'm on my own tho

Yes, I knew that some hubs control whether you can enter them or not depending on how many shared files or GBs you have.
    I meant that as you have said you have enough shares, that, and admins looking at them won't be a prob for you
    yeah sure,no problem at all,I'm just getting in to grab a couple of files tho
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    well,my connection is based on a LAN line since I use a router,but if you mean that im withing a network,nah,I'm on my own tho
    Then you can safely disable it You know, the classic procedure: Start -> Run... -> services.msc -> look for the "Workstation" service, double-click it and click "Stop", and then choose "disabled" in Start type.

yeah sure,no problem at all,I'm just getting in to grab a couple of files tho
    Have fun in the DC++ network
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast