+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Virus.Win32.Gpcode.ak

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39482

Virus.Win32.Gpcode.ak

We've detected a new variant of Gpcode – a dangerous file-encryptor. It encrypts a whole variety of user files, targeting files with extensions such as DOC, TXT, PDF, XLS, JPG, PNG, CPP, H etc. If you're a regular visitor to Viruslist, you might remember reading about Gpcode a couple of years ago.

We recently started getting reports from infected victims, analysed a sample, and added detection for Gpcode.ak to our antivirus databases yesterday, on June 4th. However, although we detect the virus itself, we can't currently decrypt files encrypted by Gpcode.ak – the RSA encryption implemented in the malware uses a very strong, 1024 bit key.
    Viruslist.com - Analyst's Diary

gpcode was that virus that encrypted your stuff and asked you to buy a decrypter from the authors to get the data back...

edit: now that i think it, why doesn't kapersky just disguise as an infected user, buy the decrypter, then reverse-engineer it and release a fix?
    Last edited by anon; 07.06.08 at 00:40.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

fromas (07.06.08)

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    edit: now that i think it, why doesn't kapersky just disguise as an infected user, buy the decrypter, then reverse-engineer it and release a fix?

Sounds Like an Evil Idea for Making Money !! You can Join The Most criminalist cartel dude !!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39482
    lol

if i worked at an AV i wouldn't care too much about money, it'd make me happy to see users being able to recover from virus infections (or not being infected at all)

believe me, i know how frustrating it is to lose all your stuff thanks to a virus. you start thinking about the info all your files had and that now you're unable to retrieve...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread