Thread: Mozilla Plugin Privacy Database

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581

Mozilla Plugin Privacy Database

Here is a useful site if you use Firefox with addons (named "plugins" in this project). It aims to determine which addons passively gather data about users browsing habits, and which are respectful of your privacy.

Plugins ask for a lot of trust. By installing them, we give them access to significant amounts of information about us, both explicit and implicit. Unfortunately, not all plugins are forthcoming in how data about users is collected and used.

This project seeks to give more information about plugin data collection to more people.

Tests attempt to exclude data sent on first install, such as one time welcome pages and pop ups. All data sent to Mozilla domains are also excluded, so any test results for Mozilla plugins should be considered invalid.

Each entry includes full traffic logs. In general, fewer data transmissions are better, though some plugins depend on network traffic to be useful. In such cases, it is important to evaluate the specific data being sent against the plugins stated purpose.
    https://nullsweep.com/mozilla-plugin-privacy-database/

Good news is that 91% of the 1300+ tested addons send no third party requests during the tests.

Nevertheless,

So called security plugins seem to populate a lot of the worst offenders for data collection. Comodo, Avast, Norton, Avira and more. I normally recommend users avoid these products all together, and it does seem they collect all sites browsed (as opposed to using a regularly updated whitelist/blacklist approach)
    https://nullsweep.com/launching-the-mozilla-plugin privacy-test-database/
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (29.04.19) , anon (29.04.19)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    So called security plugins seem to populate a lot of the worst offenders for data collection. Comodo, Avast, Norton, Avira and more. I normally recommend users avoid these products all together, and it does seem they collect all sites browsed (as opposed to using a regularly updated whitelist/blacklist approach)
    Security addons from major firms rarely offer something that isn't already available from independent authors, anyway. At least that's my experience.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread