+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird android issue

Weird android issue

Hello everyone. I'm dealing with a weird issue with my android OS.

A few years ago I tried some call blocking applications and managed to block a few numbers. It worked fine but later on I wanted to unblock them. I removed them from the application's blacklist but the callers still could not get through to me. So i uninstalled the application in hopes of lifting the restriction. It still didn't work. This happened 2 years ago and since then I've changed my phone twice and the restriction is still there. I haven't used Titanium Backup or any oither such application so I don't know how this restriction is remembered.

What is happening is that they call me, I hear the phone ring but when I answer the call it my phone immediately hangs up. It works just fine if I call them. I called my service provider last week and asked if they had anything to do with this but assured me its not from them. I though the application somehow blacklisted the phone number via my service provider but no.

The only thing I can think of now is that somehow google sync has this setting saved somewhere. How do I find it?

Thank you
    Last edited by Master Razor; 01.07.18 at 02:43.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    The only thing I can think of now is that somehow google sync has this setting saved somewhere.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...n_android_601/

The comments there suggest call blocking status is stored in your contact list, and in that case, it would be synced along the latter. The quickest way to discard this possibility would be to hard reset your phone, not set up a Google account, then get a call from one of the offending numbers and check the behavior.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...n_android_601/

The comments there suggest call blocking status is stored in your contact list, and in that case, it would be synced along the latter. The quickest way to discard this possibility would be to hard reset your phone, not set up a Google account, then get a call from one of the offending numbers and check the behavior.
    Just tried this and it works But how do I find and remove the call block from my actual google account?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    I have no idea. I'd start by readding your account and syncing the contact list, then look up the offending numbers and press and hold their entries or check the menus to see if some "unblock number" option shows up.

#pureintuition
    Thanks

What about editing the contacts db?
    Thanks

Well I have that number in my contacts and I've looked everywhere but cannot find a unblock icon. Probably means it does not find it blocked.
    I'm using android oreo 8.1/lineage os 15.1 and I don't even have the option of blocking the number anymore. I have just reroute to voicemail.

anon you're my only hope. I've had this issue for 2 years nobody knows how to fix it. I say that if we edit contacts database directly then we can disable this option. But i'm not an expert in android so I don't know how to proceed. Google doesn't help either.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    i'm not an expert in android
    Neither am I, I'm not even a power user, I've only played with it on a few devices and within virtual machines because I'm not very interested on mobile platforms. That's why I said I'm going by intuition.

Anyway, the only ideas I have at this point are, in order of difficulty:
    1. remove the contacts and readd them, in hopes of recreating them without any hidden call blocking flags if that's how it works;
    2. look for an unblock option by opening Google Contacts using a browser on a regular computer;
    3. run the version of Android you had when you first blocked those numbers and see if such option exists there (if you no longer have any devices that can run it, the Android-x86 project offers working images going all the way back to Donut).
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread