Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Razor's Linux Progress

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Code:
    Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
    standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
    Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): YES
    Well, did it blow up after you said yes here?

The absolute worst case scenario (and so unlikely it rarely happens) is a crash and having to do a hard reboot... unless one of your sensors is a motion detector wired to a brick of C4, I guess
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

No, nothing happened. I'm curious as to whether you've ever witnessed such a situation.
    I think if the developer added these warnings then they must be based on some facts. You know, at some point something did happen.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Well, unlike what Hollywood has taught us, computers can't blow up just by running a program. We would hear about such incidents more often otherwise.

Software-caused hardware damage is definitely possible by overvolting, overclocking, disabling cooling, flashing boot loaders... but this program does none of those things. The comment is thus either based on an extreme case involving a crash and/or reboot as I mentioned, or simply an assumption based on the fact merely reading a value couldn't possibly cause trouble, whereas writing it is a more complex task.

Quasi-related: https://everything2.com/title/Window...ory+protection
    Thanks

Well anon it turns out you were right - that onboard Intel card supports 3 monitors. Unfortunatelly, I have never seen side-by-side an analog and a digital video connection before. I now have a VGA, DVI and HDMI displays. The problem is the VGA display looks somewhat blurry when comparing to the DVI or HDMI displays. I wanted to ask if you have any experiece with VGA to DVI/HDMI/DP adapters. I'm thinking of buying something like this https://conectica.ro/adaptoare-conve...r-delock-65439 . Would it be as clear as a digital display connection? I have no experience in analog to digital adapters - so far I've only used HDMI-DP, DVI-DP adapters.

The other thing is that I have succesfully isolated my graphics card from the system but I get no monitor input on my card.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I wanted to ask if you have any experiece with VGA to DVI/HDMI/DP adapters.
    Yes sir, I've been occasionally using my laptop as a desktop computer with HDMI and PS/2 adapters since 2015 and here are some tips for you.

• Firstly, you'll never get the same quality as a direct digital connection using any active converter (think about it, there's no way adding an additional component in the middle would improve things), but then again, a direct VGA connection is analog between the card and the display, so it wasn't going to give you that either. The good news is that even the cheapest adapters are good enough (8/10).
    • The one I use looks the same as the one you linked, except it's white and brandless. I'm bringing this up because they're otherwise identical, and I'd wager so is the circuitry inside.
    • HDMI only supplies a quarter watt or so of electrical power. My experience is that resolutions up to 1600x1200 don't require additional power. If you want to run Full HD, 4K or UHD, you may have to spend more money and buy one with a DC input. The nicer ones have DC and a 3.5mm jack to listen to HDMI digital audio too.
    • Make sure your cabling is all good. Low quality cables cause artifacts and dulled colors. Don't fall for scams, just don't buy the cheapest ones you can find.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (12.03.18)

I assume there is no difference between the conversions - VGA-HDMI vs VGA-DP?
    What are your throughts between VGA to HDMI cables vs VGA-HDMI adapters? I saw one of these cables in my local store and was curious? Similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-A.../dp/B00JNSWES6
    I assume they are weaker than adapters, right?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    I assume there is no difference between the conversions - VGA-HDMI vs VGA-DP?
    I don't own any DisplayPort hardware, but I'd expect things to be the same.

What are your throughts between VGA to HDMI cables vs VGA-HDMI adapters? I saw one of these cables in my local store and was curious? Similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-A.../dp/B00JNSWES6
    I assume they are weaker than adapters, right?
    HDMI only carries digital signals, and VGA only carries analog ones. You can't transform either into the other just by wiring pins with a passive adapter because they're completely different. So that cable either has an active adapter somewhere or is simply a scam.
    Thanks

You don't actually need to create the mount point by hand first, as long as its parent directory is writable. So...
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
    ...will work even if /mnt/sdb1 didn't exist previously. The mount point doesn't necessarily need to be inside /mnt or /media either (some recovery processes rely on this and chroot to mount an unusable system and let you work as if you were running it).
    anon, I'm having issues putting this theory of yours to test. As long as it's writable it's OK but I cannot.

Here's an output from an archlinux live cd. I'm trying to mount /dev/sda1 to a temporary location.
    root@archiso ~ # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/star
    mount: /mnt/star: mount point does not exist.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Make sure there's nothing mounted at /mnt. You cannot nest mount points.

Otherwise, I guess Arch is different on this regard
    Thanks

I made sure of it - it's empty. Leason learned I guess: what works on one distro surely does not work on another.I think the best live distro is archlinux. It's small, full-featured, works on any machine - no more display issues.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    I made sure of it - it's empty. Leason learned I guess: what works on one distro surely does not work on another.
    Create a shell function that checks if the mount point exists and creates it if it doesn't, then put that in your .profile

I think the best live distro is archlinux. It's small, full-featured, works on any machine - no more display issues.
    The live version of Arch doesn't even have a graphical environment, so of course there aren't going to be display issues!
    Thanks

Anyone knows anything about the linux printing system? I'm curious about the generic drivers. My printer does not have a driver for linux, so I have to use the generic ones. They work fine, but I was wondering what is the difference between:
    PCL Color Laser - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 (en)
    PCL Color Laser - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 Simplified (en)
    PCL Color Laser LF Printer - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 (en)
    PCL Color Laser LF Printer - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 Simplified (en)
    PCL Color LF wide margin - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 (en)
    PCL Color LF wide margin - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 Simplified (en)
    PCL Color Tabl wide margin - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 (en)
    PCL Color Tabl wide margin - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 Simplified (en)
    PCL Color wide margin - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 (en)
    PCL Color wide margin - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.14-pre2 Simplified (en)
    I'm very confused here, and some questions:
    1. What version is PCL? All the others have PCL3, PCL5, what version is PCL??
    2. WTF is Simplified?
    3. What is LF/Tabl/Wide variants? Yesterday I printed many test files to check and have not been able to find any difference. From what I know, these were created as a fall-back: in case one driver doesn't work correctly, one would use the next and so on.
    4. Why is CUPS configured via a webpage?
    5. For generic drivers, what do I do about the proprietary printer functions, like assisted/manual duplex, scanning, checking printer toner/cartridge levels?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 26.03.18 at 00:04.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Anyone knows anything about the linux printing system?
    Not me I know fuck all about printing under Linux, besides the fact you can achieve it by sending stuff to /dev/lp0 because Everything Is a File™.

I could do some research and look up your questions, but then again I suppose that if you wanted that sort of answers, you'd have already done it yourself
    Thanks

Officially today marks the 6 month anniversary since i've ditched windows and worked only with linux. I did a lot ofd work within these months but I'm glad I did; it was was one of the best decisions i've ever made in my computing life.

Does anyone know how to export all manuals from linux commands to files?
    I'm looking for something like this man ls>./ls.txt but on a much larger scale: all CLI applications, everything that was ever made in a distro, and not just those installed. I'm curious if it can be done, and if so, in what way can it be achieved.
    Thanks

Officially today marks the 6 month anniversary since i've ditched windows and worked only with linux. I did a lot ofd work within these months but I'm glad I did; it was was one of the best decisions i've ever made in my computing life.
    Once GPU passthrough is available on consumer products (vmware workstation/player and virtualbox) without having to fight shitty Nvidia's driver blocking practices (and shitty practices of limiting ESXi passthrough to Quadros) and tinkering with config files and command line args to Qemu, I can finally kiss Windows goodbye as a main OS.

I could VM everything: a games VM that could run games at native speeds, a personal files VM, a testing VM and a 3D development VM... all on Linux OS as the host. That way I minimise the risks of data leaks and isolate my files. It would also be easier for backups as I could just backup and move the entire VM.

Does anyone know how to export all manuals from linux commands to files?
    I'm looking for something like this man ls>./ls.txt but on a much larger scale: all CLI applications, everything that was ever made in a distro, and not just those installed. I'm curious if it can be done, and if so, in what way can it be achieved.
    You could make a rough script to collect binary names in: /usr/bin, /usr/sbin/, /opt (bonus points if your script could identify ELF headers) ..etc and do a batch man on an array.

I am cheatos

Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (15.04.18)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast