+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Razor's Linux Progress

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    I'm getting back to your last three posts really soon, I promise.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I'm getting back to your last three posts really soon, I promise.
    I hope that's not a joke because I would really like your input.
    Anyway, I tested wine and mono today. It is as unstable today as it was in 2004 when I used it last time.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Yes but it won't help. On any given video card you can only have 2 VGA/DVI/HDMI devices connected at the same time. However you can use all display ports on the video card simultaneously.

I failed anon. Sometimes, even knowledge cannot save you.

It's not the same.
    I can't run uSerenity on linux; suppose something is wrong, and reporting to the tracker goes haywire. That's an instant ban. Then there's mRatio which is buggy on Windows.
    I would use LibreOffice but I can't because Libre uses different fonts, layouts, and other features that are totally different than word. The result is that when I sent a libre document to a microsoft office user, my document will look weird. I send resumes here. I need it to be crisp. Sure I can send it as PDF but some company recruitment services require that you send them doc or docx.

I looked at this for years, and you cannot fully ditch microsoft. That's my burden.
    I guess the thing with Serenity is unlikely but possible #noonesaiditwouldbeeasy Several people here have run mRatio under Linux and I don't recall posts about significant problems, besides not being able to use the memory reader.

Having the same fonts as Windows is a no-go, no matter what you run, because those are copyrighted. The good news is that you can copy them over and install them. As for the rest, office suites are like browsers, each one renders documents slightly differently and not much can be done about that. Well, I guess you could run Microsoft Office under Wine... but I'm not sure that would help you get closer to ditching Microsoft

I have mpv installed and I just cannot get it to accept a folder path (ie. play every file in that location). I have to manually switch the video every 20 minutes. I miss MPC-HC and most of all I miss madVR.
    See my post below.

So, just copy/paste the / root drive? I take i have to use tar to exclude special files.
    How do I re-create the bootloader. I think openSuse uses grub2 but not sure.
    Yes, tar it is. You're going to need two instances. One that starts archiving files in the source directory, excludes /mnt, /media, /dev, /proc, /sys and /tmp (possibly others depending on what your system looks like), does not compress and sends everything to stdout, not a file. Then you pipe that into a second instance that writes everything in the target partition. The command line may look like this (/mnt/sdb1 is the partition containing the system to be cloned; this method is best used from a live CD where it'll be mounted as read-only).

Code:
    tar -C /mnt/sdb1 --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/dev --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/tmp -cvf - . | tar -C /mnt/sda1 -xf -
    sync
    The boot loader can be rewritten in many ways. I could give you a crash course on chroot, but the simplest method would be to boot the cloned system using Super GRUB2 Disk, then run

Code:
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    as root once you're in.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (12.02.18)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    I must of been very tired as I just used mpv. I dragged and dropped files for 1 month...
    Thanks man.
    I take it this is the new replacement for MPC-HC.
    If it's any consolation, running mpv from the terminal is probably closest to the Linux way of doing things

SMPlayer is excellent. If it supported EVR (to use CoreAVC with hardware acceleration) and reading video from archives (I can pipe 7z's output to mplayer, but it's not the same), I would have no need for MPC under Windows.

I don't know anything about madVR besides that fact it's supposed to give excellent video quality at a very big price in CPU usage. You may want to try all the available video renderers (mpv -vo help) to see which one gives the best quality in your system.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (12.02.18)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    I think I made a mistake when choosing OpenSuse Leap; I should've chosen Tumbleweed because I find myself trying to more and more applications to the latest version and cannot.
    The thing is that I'm trying to install the lastest version of codelite and opensuse leap has only last year's release. Tumbleweed has the latest but if I add that repo i'm affraid all the other apps will update as well.

Some questions:
    1. If I add a rolling release repo over a point release (ie. tumbleweed over leap), what would happen? I only want to add a new repo to update only some apps, and not all of them.
    2. When having multiple repos, how does the package manager know which one to get data from? I assume they are listed in order of priority.
    3. If I manually update an app (using rpm) would it get downgraded by the package manager (if package manager has a lower version then the one I've installed)?

And thanks anon for bearing with me. Hope I don't take too much of your free time.
    Can't really help here, I've never used Suse. You'll have to check the documentation for its package manager.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (12.02.18)

anon, do you know anything about this error? dropcanvas - instant drag and drop sharing - canvas view
    Haven't found anything on google and opensuse forums work very slow. I'm trying to install this on my windows ssd and it gives me this error. It's a 256GB SSD with only one NTFS primary partition.
    Thanks

OpenSuse cannot install over any drive that has windows installed on it. I don't know why but that was the reason for those errors from above.

I formatted that SSD of mine and installed Tumbleweed. It's faster than leap and has more eyecandy. However, most of the apps are not working as they should. I have errors in Keepass due to mono, compilers refuse to execute due to unknown fonts, teamviewer crashes. It's everything I could've hoped for. Bootm line:
    If I use Leap I get stability but have no access to recent apps
    if I use Tumbleweed I have everything updated but most of the time something crashes. You know this sort of reminds me of windows - nothing ever ran there either.

I'm a dead man. I would use leap but I can't code using 2 years old compilers and libraries.
    Thanks

anon, let's debate the above issue, and read this as well: https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...packages-but-s

The questions are the same. The idea is a distribution that allows updating applications to the latest version but prevent the system packages (i.e. kernel, drivers and such) from being updated. 3rd party apps cannot keep up with the system updates. I tested this on ubuntu and opensuse rolling releases. Do you have any advice for me?

Also, share your thoughts on this Canonical alliance with Microsoft. It is well know that Ubuntu is popular because of Microsoft, and is more so now for their bash integration with windows 10. Am I to anticipate that in the near future, canonical will spy on its users as well?
    Thanks

share your thoughts on this Canonical alliance with Microsoft. It is well know that Ubuntu is popular because of Microsoft
    I don't think so, Ubuntu is popular because it's the only dist. that uses marketing techniques and the easiest one for converters.

and is more so now for their bash integration with windows 10.
    Do you think that this integration is good for ubuntu ?! Do you think that Microsoft would code anything that benefit anything but it's benefits ?! Microsoft worked on this in windows 10 to support bash for it's great and powerful scripting language. Don't forget that Microsoft tried for years to push its scripting language with no interest from windows users.

Am I to anticipate that in the near future, canonical will spy on its users as well?
    It will include telemetry (Which you can turn it off) in the next version but only collect hardware information and the results will be public.
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

anon (23.02.18)

What do you guys think about filesystem snapshots? Could you give me an example of when I should use snapshots vs backup images?
    With a snapshot, can I test applications? For example, if I install a driver that breaks the x window system, can I use snapshots to restore? Would it help me in such a situation?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    anon, let's debate the above issue, and read this as well: https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...packages-but-s

The questions are the same. The idea is a distribution that allows updating applications to the latest version but prevent the system packages (i.e. kernel, drivers and such) from being updated. 3rd party apps cannot keep up with the system updates. I tested this on ubuntu and opensuse rolling releases. Do you have any advice for me?
    I'm afraid this is one of the areas where Linux pales in comparison to Windows. The x86 version of Windows 10 can run 25-year-old Windows 3.0 programs without any problems. However, Linux gives no such assurances. If the library your program is linked against has been updated, or it relies on a kernel feature that is no longer present/compiled in after an update, your program may break. If your distro in question is quirky with which libraries it includes, the program may not work out-of-the-box. Or at all. Not to mention that in extreme cases, the same program using the same libraries must be compiled for different distros, or else it'll segfault.

It could be reasonably argued that this happens because Windows is made by a single company, whereas Linux is a collaborative effort and has tons of "flavors", but the end result is the same.

Also, share your thoughts on this Canonical alliance with Microsoft. It is well know that Ubuntu is popular because of Microsoft, and is more so now for their bash integration with windows 10. Am I to anticipate that in the near future, canonical will spy on its users as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    It will include telemetry (Which you can turn it off) in the next version but only collect hardware information and the results will be public.
    This is somewhat surprising, I didn't think they'd go for something like this after the Amazon fiasco.

Anyway, the Windows Subsystem for Linux isn't a full replacement for the latter system, nor is it being presented as one by either party. It's a neat way to run some programs and do certain kinds of Linux work comfortably and without having to resort to a virtual machine. (And yes, bash is much better and less mind-boggling than PowerShell )
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (24.02.18)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    What do you guys think about filesystem snapshots? Could you give me an example of when I should use snapshots vs backup images?
    With a snapshot, can I test applications? For example, if I install a driver that breaks the x window system, can I use snapshots to restore? Would it help me in such a situation?
    Playing with file systems already? ext4 doesn't support snapshots natively I suggest reading this article first, it'll clarify what they are (and aren't) and how they work.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...y-of-the-files
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (24.02.18)

I have some good news and some bad news.
    The good news is:
    • Tumbleweed works extremely well, one of the best rolling releases ever made. 100 updates are installed a day and the OS is rock solid (roughly 1000 updates a week).
    • gpu passthrough works on my system, I activated the integrated card and made the passthrough. works fine, but I lose a monitor, I have 3 monitors and if one is dedicated to windows then Iam left with only 2.

The bad news:
    • production is in the toilet. haven't done anything for 5 months except debugging linux. My OS(es) are quite interesting, one day the work, another they fail.
    • gpu passthrough works only with external/dedicated gpu

And a question:
    I have an integrated HD Graphics 4600 courtesy of i7-4790k. I have 3 motherboard video ports, a DVI, a VGA and a HDMI. I think only 2 monitors can work with it, 1 VGA and 1 DVI or 1VGA/DVI and 1 HDMI. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If I can somehow connect all 3 monitors to the intel card then I can finally move. If this is true then I'll have to buy a DVI to HDMI converter.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 25.02.18 at 19:57.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    I have an integrated HD Graphics 4600 courtesy of i7-4790k. I have 3 motherboard video ports, a DVI, a VGA and a HDMI. I think only 2 monitors can work with it, 1 VGA and 1 DVI or 1VGA/DVI and 1 HDMI. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If I can somehow connect all 3 monitors to the intel card then I can finally move. If this is true then I'll have to buy a DVI to HDMI converter.
    https://ark.intel.com/products/80807...up-to-4_40-GHz says up to three displays are supported.
    Thanks

I just installed lm-sensors (sensors on suse) and i ran sensors-detect. I only checked default options, but I'd still would like someone to review it. The message it is usually safe scares me. What does this mean, safe as in what, the computer blows up?
    sensors-detect
    # sensors-detect revision 6284 (2015-05-31 14:00:33 +0200)
    # System: ASUS All Series
    # Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VII RANGER
    # Kernel: 4.15.6-1-default x86_64
    # Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (6/60/3)

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
    to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
    and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
    unless you know what you're doing.

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
    Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no): yes\
    Module cpuid loaded successfully.
    Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595... No
    VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors... No
    VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors... No
    AMD K8 thermal sensors... No
    AMD Family 10h thermal sensors... No
    AMD Family 11h thermal sensors... No
    AMD Family 12h and 14h thermal sensors... No
    AMD Family 15h thermal sensors... No
    AMD Family 16h thermal sensors... No
    AMD Family 15h power sensors... No
    AMD Family 16h power sensors... No
    Intel digital thermal sensor... Success!
    (driver `coretemp')
    Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor... No
    Intel 5500/5520/X58 thermal sensor... No
    VIA C7 thermal sensor... No
    VIA Nano thermal sensor... No

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
    standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
    Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): YES
    Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
    Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'... No
    Trying family `SMSC'... No
    Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'... Yes
    Found `Nuvoton NCT6791D Super IO Sensors' Success!
    (address 0x290, driver `nct6775')
    Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
    Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'... No
    Trying family `SMSC'... No
    Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'... No
    Trying family `ITE'... No

Some systems (mainly servers) implement IPMI, a set of common interfaces
    through which system health data may be retrieved, amongst other things.
    We first try to get the information from SMBIOS. If we don't find it
    there, we have to read from arbitrary I/O ports to probe for such
    interfaces. This is normally safe. Do you want to scan for IPMI
    interfaces? (YES/no): YES
    Probing for `IPMI BMC KCS' at 0xca0... No
    Probing for `IPMI BMC SMIC' at 0xca8... No

Some hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.
    We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually
    safe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any
    ISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (yes/NO):

Lastly, we can probe the I2C/SMBus adapters for connected hardware
    monitoring devices. This is the most risky part, and while it works
    reasonably well on most systems, it has been reported to cause trouble
    on some systems.
    Do you want to probe the I2C/SMBus adapters now? (YES/no):
    Found unknown SMBus adapter 8086:8ca2 at 0000:00:1f.3.
    Sorry, no supported PCI bus adapters found.
    Module i2c-dev loaded successfully.

Next adapter: i915 gmbus ssc (i2c-0)
    Do you want to scan it? (yes/NO/selectively):

Next adapter: i915 gmbus vga (i2c-1)

Next adapter: i915 gmbus panel (i2c-2)

Next adapter: i915 gmbus dpc (i2c-3)

Next adapter: i915 gmbus dpb (i2c-4)

Next adapter: i915 gmbus dpd (i2c-5)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0000 (i2c-6)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0001 (i2c-7)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0002 (i2c-8)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0003 (i2c-9)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-aux-0003 (i2c-10)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0004 (i2c-11)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-aux-0004 (i2c-12)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0005 (i2c-13)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-aux-0005 (i2c-14)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0006 (i2c-15)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-aux-0006 (i2c-16)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0007 (i2c-17)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-aux-0007 (i2c-18)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0008 (i2c-19)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-aux-0008 (i2c-20)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-bus-0009 (i2c-21)

Next adapter: nvkm-000000.0-aux-0009 (i2c-22)

Next adapter: 000000.0 (i2c-23)

Next adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at f040 (i2c-24)
    Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively):
    Client found at address 0x50
    Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'... No
    Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'... No
    Probing for `SPD EEPROM'...
    Yes
    (confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)
    Probing for `EDID EEPROM'... No
    Client found at address 0x51

Yes
    Client found at address 0x52
    Yes
    Client found at address 0x53

Yes

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
    Just press ENTER to continue:
    Driver `nct6775':
    * ISA bus, address 0x290
    Chip `Nuvoton NCT6791D Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Driver `coretemp':
    * Chip `Intel digital thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no):
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lm_sensors.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/lm_sensors.service.
    Unloading i2c-dev... OK
    Unloading cpuid... OK
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast