+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Razor's Linux Progress

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    I never tried Slackware I have used Wifislax which is based on it, but that's not a general-purpose distro.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

I understand that the mount command works hand in hand with /etc/fstab and is used to automatically mount disks. I'm interested in a functionality similar to the way drives are mounted when clicking on them in the file/folder browser. For instance, left-clicking on a drive will automatically mount to a location similar to /media/ubuntu/f5137ae2-2049-4a6e-9093-b149 . The directory is temporary and will remove itself when disk is ejected. How do this via the command line (mount a drive to a temporary location without explicitly create the folder first) ?
    I assume there is a different use of the mount command GUI from command line.

On another note, as a live disc I absolutely love Knoppix. It is one of my favorite live distros. They were the pioneers of the live cd standard that now most if not all linux distros use. And was also the first distro I have ever tried way back in 2004.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 30.01.18 at 01:01.
    Thanks

My floppies look like this:
    Disk /dev/sdd: 1.4 MiB, 1474560 bytes, 2880 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x0000c3f4

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/sdd1 332251185 2480556662 2148305478 1T 0 Empty
    /dev/sdd2 2834038748 4720389153 1886350406 899.5G be Solaris boot
    /dev/sdd3 3053499650 4967399937 1913900288 912.6G 0 Empty
    /dev/sdd4 0 0 0 0B 4f QNX4.x 3rd part
    Very weird. Shows 4 partitions each of them having 1TB?
    Thanks

What happens if I just make a blank image file and just use that to wipe a disk in dd? since dd is slow at formatting, this should do the trick, right?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    left-clicking on a drive will automatically mount to a location similar to /media/ubuntu/f5137ae2-2049-4a6e-9093-b149 . The directory is temporary and will remove itself when disk is ejected. How do this via the command line (mount a drive to a temporary location without explicitly create the folder first) ?
    You don't actually need to create the mount point by hand first, as long as its parent directory is writable. So...

Code:
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
    ...will work even if /mnt/sdb1 didn't exist previously. The mount point doesn't necessarily need to be inside /mnt or /media either (some recovery processes rely on this and chroot to mount an unusable system and let you work as if you were running it).

Very weird. Shows 4 partitions each of them having 1TB?
    Floppy disks don't have partition tables, but for some reason your fdisk thinks they do (perhaps because your floppy drive is apparently /dev/sdd, instead of /dev/fd0 or similar). So it's interpreting the boot code and BPB on the first sector as an MBR partition table, understandably outputting nonsensical data as a result.

What happens if I just make a blank image file and just use that to wipe a disk in dd? since dd is slow at formatting, this should do the trick, right?
    No, reading the zeros from a file is going to be even slower than doing it from a pseudodevice. If you need to wipe a hard disk, there are better ways.

Code:
    cat /dev/zero > /dev/sdx
    shred -fvzn 0 /dev/sdx
    hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass p /dev/sdx ; hdparm --user-master u --security-erase p /dev/sdx
    Thanks

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
    But will it also remove it afterwards (after unmount or reboot)? Because this is what I want. Have some usb sticks and drives that must be connected most of the time but do not need their own directory, like the case of internal drives.

Floppy disks don't have partition tables, but for some reason your fdisk thinks they do (perhaps because your floppy drive is apparently /dev/sdd, instead of /dev/fd0 or similar). So it's interpreting the boot code and BPB on the first sector as an MBR partition table, understandably outputting nonsensical data as a result.
    I've forgotten about the partition table for a minutes, yes, you are right. But since fdisk cannot correctly display any ifno on it what other utility can be used? I know about ufiformat -i but doesn't display disc info such as file system used or size or anything.

No, reading the zeros from a file is going to be even slower than doing it from a pseudodevice.
    Care to elaborate?

New question:
    Is there any standardized key shortcut for a Task Manager/CTRL+ALT+DEL alternative for linux? My os is freezing sometimes and I have no idea what to do except 1. wait or 2. force restart. I know about REISUB but that mostly works on Debian only. A universal solution for all distros would be best.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 01.02.18 at 12:57.
    Thanks

I found out out yesterday that mkisofs and cdrecord have some issues when burning multisession discs, more specifically mkisofs crashes but does not say anything useful in the debug log.
    So completed CD/DVD burning and Floppy writing 101 on linux.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    will it also remove it afterwards (after unmount or reboot)?
    Yes.

since fdisk cannot correctly display any ifno on it what other utility can be used? I know about ufiformat -i but doesn't display disc info such as file system used or size or anything.
    For ext2/3/4 volumes, you can use dumpe2fs to get all the details. On other file systems, running fsck in read-only and verbose mode should provide plenty of information.

Care to elaborate?
    By default, dd reads in blocks of 512 bytes and uses synchronous I/O, so it reads 512 bytes from the source, then writes them to the destination, then reads again, then writes again... until it's done. Reading those bytes from /dev/zero is essentially "free" since it doesn't rely on any hardware and occurs instantaneously, but that won't be the case if you read from a file (imagine a hard disk's head going back and forth).

New question:
    Is there any standardized key shortcut for a Task Manager/CTRL+ALT+DEL alternative for linux? My os is freezing sometimes and I have no idea what to do except 1. wait or 2. force restart. I know about REISUB but that mostly works on Debian only. A universal solution for all distros would be best.
    Good question. I've never had to remap this because I rarely use graphical task managers in the first place. I'm used to running top, ps|grep and kill in the terminal instead

If you can write "1" to /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq, you can enable the magic SysRq key. Sometimes it's there but disabled by default. And if only the graphical environment is frozen, Ctrl+Alt+function keys will take you to a text terminal.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (04.02.18)

I think it's time to finally set that KVM I've been wanting. If anyone has any experience with KVM please help me on this matter.

I've installed the following:
    qemu-kvm libvirt virt-install virt-manager virt-top python-libguestfs
    Fired up systclt and enabled libvirtd daemon
    Checked virt-host-validate, all entries pass and I've enabled IOMMU in grub2 config file
    Opened virt-manager and created two virtual machines Windows 7 and Windows 10.
    I want these machines to have full passthrough of the GPU. Now, I have the following hardware:
    ASUS MAXIMUM RANGER VIII
    CPU Intel 4790k which also has Intel HD Graphics
    NVIDIA 970GTX

From what I know I cannot use both a card in VM as well as in host mode.
    On that card I use 3 monitors. On the Intel card I only have one DVI connector, which means one monitor. Is there any way to use one monitor from NVIDIA and one from Intel? Like passthrough just half of the card or something?

What would happen I just use as:
    https://i.imgur.com/c8naxBT.png
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    On that card I use 3 monitors. On the Intel card I only have one DVI connector, which means one monitor. Is there any way to use one monitor from NVIDIA and one from Intel? Like passthrough just half of the card or something?
    I would think the answer is no, since the card is still the same regardless of which outputs you plan to use. But I have no experience with this (I do all my virtualization under Windows, and don't have any hardware with GPU or PCI passthrough) so don't consider this a definite reply by any means.
    Thanks

TL/DR: I need a new 3000$ computer. This one won't cut it for KVM passthrough.

My motherboard supports only one graphics card at a time. If I enable the onboard one then it disables the PCI-E one, if I enable PCI-E the onboard gets disabled. The graphics card is NVIDIA and is very BAD for virtualization.
    I'll probably have get myself a linux hardware expert for this. The whole computer will have to be changed, hardware and monitors, as the monitors are DVI and probably won't work.

I have no choice, the amount of money scares me but there's no other way around this.

In the meantime I am missing: Microsoft Office, Imaging tools (UltraISO, CDIMAGE, MagicISO, WinISO), uTorrent and cheating tools, foobar2000, MPC-hC with madVR, WinRAR. This is freaking nightmare; Multimedia on linux is a joke, doesn't even scratch the surface. And lack of gaming is also sad. It makes me sad because whatever I do, I WILL NEVER be able to fully ditch windows, microsoft is like a frikin octopuss. Regardless, I will get it done.

New road-block:
    I installed linux on my smaller SSD of 120gb and now I want to move it to the bigger one of 256GB. What is the best course of action here? Should I copy all config files and just install linux or make an image with dd?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 07.02.18 at 00:25.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    TL/DR: I need a new 3000$ computer. This one won't cut it for KVM passthrough.

My motherboard supports only one graphics card at a time. If I enable the onboard one then it disables the PCI-E one, if I enable PCI-E the onboard gets disabled. The graphics card is NVIDIA and is very BAD for virtualization.
    I'll probably have get myself a linux hardware expert for this. The whole computer will have to be changed, hardware and monitors, as the monitors are DVI and probably won't work.

I have no choice, the amount of money scares me but there's no other way around this.
    Most DVI can be "turned into" HDMI with a passive adapter. As for the rest, it looks like there's a lot of money involved in this decision, so make sure to do your research well beforehand.

In the meantime I am missing: Microsofct Office, Imaging tools (UltraISO, CDIMAGE, MagicISO, WinISO), uTorrent and cheating tools, foobar2000, MPC-hC with madVR, WinRAR. This is freaking nightmare; Multimedia on linux is a joke, doesn't even scratch the surface. And lack of gaming is also sad. It makes me sad because whatever I do, I WILL NEVER be able to fully ditch windows, microsoft is like a frikin octopuss. Regardless, I will get it done.
    LibreOffice, cdrtools, BiglyBT Extreme Mod, xamp2 or deadbeef, SMPlayer+mpv, File Roller. uSerenity and foobar2000 can run under Wine.

New road-block:
    I installed linux on my smaller SSD of 120gb and now I want to move it to the bigger one of 256GB. What is the best course of action here? Should I copy all config files and just install linux or make an image with dd?
    Partition target drive, mount source partition as read-only, clone it to target partition using tar and excluding special directories, reinstall bootloader on target, done.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (07.02.18)

Most DVI can be "turned into" HDMI with a passive adapter. As for the rest, it looks like there's a lot of money involved in this decision, so make sure to do your research well beforehand.
    Yes but it won't help. On any given video card you can only have 2 VGA/DVI/HDMI devices connected at the same time. However you can use all display ports on the video card simultaneously.

I failed anon. Sometimes, even knowledge cannot save you.

LibreOffice, cdrtools, BiglyBT Extreme Mod, xamp2 or deadbeef, SMPlayer+mpv, File Roller. uSerenity and foobar2000 can run under Wine.
    It's not the same.
    I can't run uSerenity on linux; suppose something is wrong, and reporting to the tracker goes haywire. That's an instant ban. Then there's mRatio which is buggy on Windows.
    I would use LibreOffice but I can't because Libre uses different fonts, layouts, and other features that are totally different than word. The result is that when I sent a libre document to a microsoft office user, my document will look weird. I send resumes here. I need it to be crisp. Sure I can send it as PDF but some company recruitment services require that you send them doc or docx.

I looked at this for years, and you cannot fully ditch microsoft. That's my burden.

I have mpv installed and I just cannot get it to accept a folder path (ie. play every file in that location). I have to manually switch the video every 20 minutes. I miss MPC-HC and most of all I miss madVR.

Partition target drive, mount source partition as read-only, clone it to target partition using tar and excluding special directories, reinstall bootloader on target, done.
    So, just copy/paste the / root drive? I take i have to use tar to exclude special files.
    How do I re-create the bootloader. I think openSuse uses grub2 but not sure.
    Thanks

I must of been very tired as I just used mpv. I dragged and dropped files for 1 month...
    Thanks man.
    I take it this is the new replacement for MPC-HC.
    Thanks

I think I made a mistake when choosing OpenSuse Leap; I should've chosen Tumbleweed because I find myself trying to more and more applications to the latest version and cannot.
    The thing is that I'm trying to install the lastest version of codelite and opensuse leap has only last year's release. Tumbleweed has the latest but if I add that repo i'm affraid all the other apps will update as well.

Some questions:
    1. If I add a rolling release repo over a point release (ie. tumbleweed over leap), what would happen? I only want to add a new repo to update only some apps, and not all of them.
    2. When having multiple repos, how does the package manager know which one to get data from? I assume they are listed in order of priority.
    3. If I manually update an app (using rpm) would it get downgraded by the package manager (if package manager has a lower version then the one I've installed)?

And thanks anon for bearing with me. Hope I don't take too much of your free time.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast