+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how you organize your stuff

Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss49

how you organize your stuff

hi guys, i download many stuff from many places, i think you too, i want know that, you know where is every single movie?, every game or music which you have?, o simply save on hdds?, how i should organize me better saving stuff after download, how you do that?
    Last edited by axanon1; 25.12.17 at 23:59.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

The organizational structure is up to you, no one can tell you exactly where/how to store your files. But you should follow the below:
    • windows has a maximum file path of 255 chars, so you should keep your base directories like C:\somedir or D:\somedir to a minimum. Instead of downloads use dl, instead of videos, use vids or vd. It is important to try and keep all directory names to a minimum.
    • split movies, music, games into categories. again, structure is up to you, no one can teach you this. you make groups based on your files. do not make groups for just one file, use the rule "if more than 3 files then make a new group". try to limit your directory depth to a minimum (i.e. everybody gets tired after clicking C:\a\b\c\d\e\f\g\h\i\j\k\l\my file.iso)
    • whenever possible, try to not use spaces in your directories, like D:\my stuff. it is best without spaces for compatibility with old software or easier navigation, explorer/command line. instead of spaces, use underscore _ .
    • each of your applications that you use to download stuff should have its own download directory. browsers should have their download directory, torrent clients their own directory and apps like jdownloader its own dir. This is because unfinished downloads, and those that take weeks or months to complete will clutter your directory very fast if you use just one dir.

Follow these rules and you should have an easy life.
    And remember my own rule: anything that takes more than 3 clicks is too hard to use.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 26.12.17 at 01:41.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

axanon1 (26.12.17) , FubareD (26.12.17)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Here's my system. I download stuff on one hdd, which I also use for installed games. When download is finished, if I decide it's worth saving I transfer those files to my other HDD, which has folders "movies, anime, tv shows, music".
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

axanon1 (26.12.17)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    I lump all movies together, all music together, all miscellaneous downloads together... I've been working towards better organization, including encryption of any private and personal information and pictures, but it takes so much time when there are dozens of thousands of files. It looks like you either have to decide on a methodology from the get go, or be ready to spend long days sorting everything afterwards.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I lump all movies together, all music together, all miscellaneous downloads together... I've been working towards better organization, including encryption of any private and personal information and pictures, but it takes so much time when there are dozens of thousands of files. It looks like you either have to decide on a methodology from the get go, or be ready to spend long days sorting everything afterwards.
    Once everything is properly organized, the time consumption is drastically reduced.

Besides, you cannot have one directory for all music. The media library function of popular music players must have their own directory. And some music/files must be excluded for the media library. Most would argue that you can exclude files from the media library's options but it's better to logically exclude them.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 26.12.17 at 17:06.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    The media library function of popular music players
    I don't use anything like that. I just find the album I want to listen to right now and drag it to the playlist
    Thanks

Well, when you have many albums, you need to properly sort them: genre, artist, year, VA artist... very hard to do by physically browsing to them.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    My music collection is a mess right now, but it's a mess I'm used to, and which I've grown relatively proficient at finding things in. This makes me reluctant to divide it in anything finer than "have listened to it" and "haven't listened to it yet".
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss32
    i use musicbrainz for organize my music folders, maybe its good idea to check it out
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

axanon1 (30.12.17)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss61
    Quote Originally Posted by seitan View Post
    i use musicbrainz for organize my music folders, maybe its good idea to check it out
    It's good for automation but some people want their ID3 tagged in different way, like me. I want the highest possible cover art resolution embedded which picard doesn't do YET. Nonetheless, it's a really good tool.
    Last edited by PukingTom; 29.12.17 at 17:22.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread