+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doki Doki Literature Club

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370

Doki Doki Literature Club

Doki Doki Literature Club!

It is not what it seems, and the content warnings should not be ignored.

I don't think I've had such an intense experience from playing a game, even with those which deliberately and explicitly aim for... it. Highly recommended.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (16.03.18)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    I have already taken all routes and seen all endings, and am currently looking into mods. The most promising ones aren't yet finished, but there's some stuff to choose from.

Yuri is the cutest
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DDLCMods/co...re_club_110mo/

I was up until 2:30 AM playing this mod. It adds a different ending. I haven't been moved like this by a story in a long time... (I'm almost crying as I type this, and I don't care)

I'm so happy I found it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Does recommending that you play http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=33614 count as "something"
    everyone has been recommending that to me lately maybe i really should!
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Oh, definitely. For maximum effect, get 100% completion, then install the mod I mentioned above. You'll see why I liked it so much.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DDLCMods/co...re_club_110mo/

I was up until 2:30 AM playing this mod. It adds a different ending. I haven't been moved like this by a story in a long time... (I'm almost crying as I type this, and I don't care)

I'm so happy I found it.
    A new version of it was released yesterday, fixing many grammar errors and promising several changes. I'm halfway through it right now.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    as requested, i'll do a short review of this game, although not from personal playing experience but rather based on watching a youtube walkthrough

the good: character artwork, (some) poems, relatively unique twists involving game data/files manipulation as part of the plot, open to interpretations
    the bad: often tedious dialogue, soap opera elements, weak music, lack of character animation, repetition (also unable to auto-skip already seen dialogue), sudden and illogical changes in character behavior
    the ugly: depicted relationships and obsessions, game creator's psyche hehe

the funny thing about this particular walkthrough (by jacksepticeye) is how the player's reactions to later twists reminded of characters from blair witch or paranormal activity or similar movies

in conclusion, it was a mildly entertaining indie but i wouldn't call it a masterpiece like many in their comments did

Quote Originally Posted by deciphered game quote
    "What is a man without knowing the rich aroma of the future; the hot, complex balance of the present; and the bittersweet aftertaste of the past?"
    he is free from bondage of the materialistic world (time/space) and its contents, since all these mentioned things are mere illusions available to men of poor spirituality, men unworthy of higher states of consciousness
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anon (17.03.18)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    as requested, i'll do a short review of this game

The first act of the game is a parody of Japanese visual novels and the character archetypes normally present on them (Sayori = the cheerful childhood friend who may become a love interest, Yuri = dandere, Natsuki = tsundere, Monika = the NPC whose function is to guide you in the game), so many of the bad things you mention are deliberate and can be excused on that regard. And the simple background music makes the credits song stand out much more!

However, as much as I love this game, "sudden and illogical changes in character behavior" is something I can agree with. You can write your poems in a way that will cause certain characters to not even want to talk with you anymore, yet this doesn't alter the rest of the game's script, and they'll still be super lovestruck with the protagonist if he chooses to spend the weekend with them. Being a parody of the genre does not make this acceptable, just changing a few lines depending on who the player's choices have and haven't favored would have gone a long way. There are other instances of this, but they're given a good in-universe explanation, so that's fine.

Dialogue you have already read can be skipped, you have to hold Ctrl. While there are parts of the game where this functionality is disabled, that's understandable since the protagonist (not the player) is supposed to be experiencing them for the first time.

deciphered game quote
    The encrypted file containing this quote is called "have a nice weekend". I first reached that part of the game during a weekend. This was just a coincidence, but my initial reaction was rather the opposite of relief.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Just when I thought I couldn't possibly cry any more, this mod is released.

https://www.cykadev.com/rainclouds/

I'll never look at Sayori's dialog in the original game the same way again.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    https://www.cykadev.com/neweyes/

A mod where you play the game from best girl Yuri's point of view? I am ready.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread