+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best torrent client for linux?

Best torrent client for linux?

Hello,

What would be the best alternative to uTorrent for Linux?
    I've heard great things about Deluge and QBitTorrent but do not know whhich of them to pick.
    I know that we have a transmission mod but do we have mods for the other clients?

Thank you
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    If you want to cheat, then the Vuze BiglyBT mod. Otherwise, I recall you had a gigabit connection or something, so Deluge will offer the best speeds.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (08.11.17)

Hi,
    There are a whole lot of choices. You can check out this comparison page from Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/index.php?t...orrent_clients

These are the most popular one's!
    1) BitTorrent 6 (mainline) (Never used it)
    2) Ktorrent (Never used it)
    3) Qbittorrent ( Can't cap internet limit speed on public torrents + can't parse information from rss feeds to suit your needs)
    4) Tixati (Provides you with a hell of a lot of feature however it is a resource hogger)
    5) Vuze (Azureus) (Once again many features + resource hogger)
    6) Deluge (Never used it to download, however the few times I tested it, the capping of bandwidth didn't seem to work on public trackers + a lot of "no incoming connections" )
    7) Transmission (Hate this client would have a lot of problems with the firewall + UPnP and NAT-PMP problems)

While different clients provide you with various features, keep in mind that this is done by using system resources.

Conclusion: - I split my torrenting activities to avoid a particular client from putting a strain on my system. Vuze on private trackers and Tixati on public trackers. So this is about it with my say.

Ending Note: If this thread was made to inquire about a client through which you can cheat, please ignore my post and consider renaming the thread.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (09.11.17)

I'll go with qBittorrent for now as it uses QT (which I like) on linux. Should be good for basic torrent uses.
    However, I also need mRatio, RM and uSerenity. I guess I'll run these on a virtualised Windows OS.

One thing I'd like to add, perhaps we could ask the coders of these popular mods and tools to perhaps port their tools to linux? Or at least make a noreport mod of deluge and/or qBittorrent? Yes I know WINE exists but I don't think we should mess around with these things.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 09.11.17 at 10:32.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    However, I also need mRatio, RM and uSerenity. I guess I'll run these on a virtualised Windows OS.
    Or Wine, Play on Linux, Crossover, Remote Desktop or try Dual Booting.

we could ask the coders of these popular mods and tools to perhaps port their tools to linux?
    Transmission, Vuze and BiglyBT mods are available. You can try one of these on private trackers.

Or at least make a noreport mod of deluge and/or qBittorrent?
    You can manually do this by removing the tracker from the list or by changing the url. I don't think there's a complete "no report" tool because torrent clients need the information to start some activity (leeching or seeding). This can be obtained via the trackers or DHT and similar which are blocked on private trackers.

Yes I know WINE exists but I don't think we should mess around with these things.
    Not sure what you mean here. I've used RM and RM+ on wine and face no difficulties. However, .net seems to be a problem with both of them. I did try an updated version and ran both successfully. However, I couldn't stick to that because I need 3.0.7 version to run my Windows powered sandbox (old version of Bufferzone).

Unlike Windows, installing many versions of Mono (.net on Linux) does not seem to solve the problem. Also it (the old version) does not trust any SSL certificates so https trackers are out of the question unless one manually makes changes or updates to a newer version.

~cloud99
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (11.11.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by ratiopc View Post
    rTorrent
    I can't believe none of us mentioned it before. It sucks without a GUI (no, a terminal can't offer the level of usability expected here, sorry) but everything else about it is pure power.

https://files.catbox.moe/mstl2d.png
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread