Thread: New JonDoBrowser

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581

New JonDoBrowser

The JonDo Team has upgraded the JonDoFox Profile. It's no more a "profile", but an entire browser, with (theoretically) Tor and JonDo integrated (currently only Tor integration seems for now to work properly).

Installable applications

Portable Application
    Last edited by Renk; 31.10.17 at 22:55.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

anon (01.11.17) , axanon1 (01.11.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    Oh, nice. I once e-mailed them on 2012 and they told me this browser would be released soon
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss49
    hi, ublockorigin or similar app works in this browser?
    Last edited by axanon1; 01.11.17 at 21:22.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by axanon1 View Post
    hi, ublockorigin or similar app works in this browser?
    Hello

JonDoBrowser, as Tor Browser, is based on FF ESR 52 32 bits. So, yes you may install ublockO, and many others addons. The question is rather: "Should you?": Having such an addon make you dintingishable amongst the other TBB or JDB users (it's easy to determine which site your adblock is blocking, and this list contributes to make you more unique). So, if anonymity is an important issue, use Tor (or JonDo) networks with TBB/JDB and without any adblock.
    Last edited by Renk; 02.11.17 at 11:27.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

axanon1 (02.11.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by Renk View Post
    you may install ublockO, and many others addons. The question is rather: "Should you?": Having such an addon make you dintingishable amongst the other TBB or JDB users (it's easy to determine which site your adblock is blocking, and this list contributes to make you less unique).
    The problem is that advertising in some sites is abusive to the point of unusability. I'm talking about those that spawn multiple pop-ups when you click anywhere on a page, and/or run JavaScript to mine cryptocoins in the background (with your CPU, of course).

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ho...ter/nocoin.txt
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss49
    sorry what mean TBB/JDB?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    Tor Browser Bundle / JonDoBrowser
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

axanon1 (02.11.17)

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    The problem is that advertising in some sites is abusive to the point of unusability. I'm talking about those that spawn multiple pop-ups when you click anywhere on a page, and/or run JavaScript to mine cryptocoins in the background (with your CPU, of course).

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ho...ter/nocoin.txt
    For sure. But first, browsers TBB or JDB are not average browsers. They comes with specifically coded hardenings. For example the JDB smoothes the user's time zone (UTC+0) although FF 52 ESR itself does not that even with the preference privacy.resistFingerprinting set to true. Second, with JDB Privacy Settings set as High, you will no more be annoyed by wild scripts. This setting hardens the preferences in Noscript (but in the same way for every user using this setting) while keeping the browser perfectly usable (the default Noscript settings in the former JonDoFox profile was much more restrictive). Ultimately, at some point, you may be not entirely satisfied on some site, but then, it's a balance between usability and anonymity:The adblockers tend to make you alone, and anonymity likes crowd and compagny....

Here are some explanation about Tor Browser design (specifically 2.3.5).

Nevertheless, ublockO is used (or at least was used..) in TAILS. If it's still the case, using ublock0 with the same filters than TAILS make you continue to belong to some anonymity group (TAILS users group), although much smaller.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

axanon1 (02.11.17)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss49
    i am safe with this browser for malware?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    i am safe with this browser for malware?
    You will be surely safer than with the genuine FF 52 ESR, and, with the "privacy and security settings" set to high, safer than with most genuine browsers. But Tor/JonDo Browsers are not in themselves antimalware piece of softwares. and you will not be immune against all malwares (some zero days attacks have successfully targeted Tor Browser in the past).
    I advice you to use some mitigation tools, such has EMET or MBAM anti-exploit and/or sandbox your browser.
    Last edited by Renk; 02.11.17 at 12:29.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss49
    what you think about an antivirus, is not better than emet or mbam? or is not enough?

---------- Post Merged at 14:08 ---------- Previous Post was at 13:09 ----------

is hard to install, and is very slow or not works for me
    Last edited by axanon1; 02.11.17 at 15:07.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    what you think about an antivirus, is not better than emet or mbam? or is not enough?
    The AV are not very good against 0 days exploits. And as anon pointed out here, some of them, in interfering with TLS protocol, are doing more more harm than good. In some way, adding another software may increase your "surface attack". That said, a good AV may be useful for protecting you against the consequences of some bad/dumb choices you could inadvertently make. But overall, I think the best protection is 1) not using an admin account 2) not being too dumb.

is hard to install, and is very slow or not works for me
    The part "is very slow" doesn't surprise me. In using JonDo, the free mixes are significantly slower than Tor (but much crowded than paid mixes, so increased anonymity). That said, the speed has improved over the years. Now, I find them no more making browsing too painfully. But slow, for sure.

The part "is hard to install" surprise me more. Have you used the portable version? All is integrated, even java. Some adjustment are maybe to be made for the first session, but normally the installation process is very smooth...

At least with the JonDoBrowser you can easily switch from normal session, to Tor sessions. Moreover, there is an other advantage: If you want (because it is more secure, hardened) to use the genuine Tor Browser for "normal" browsing (without using Tor Network) you have to set, in about:config, the prefs network.proxy.socks_remote_dns and extensions.torlauncher.start_tor to false, and disable socks 5 usage. With the JDB, you can do the same with 1 click.

A bit more subtle: You may want to use the Tor Browser not with Tor but with your own (socks or http) proxy. With the genuine Tor Browser.. I don't know how to do that (the obvious mean seems not to work). With JDB,all you have to do is to select "direct connection" (under "select network") and to configure as usual your proxy's IP and port in the browser.
    Last edited by Renk; 03.11.17 at 20:42.
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

axanon1 (03.11.17)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss49
    works only in tor option, but this doesn't appear in control panel for uninstall, i want download portable version but i dont't see on folder, all are installers i think
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread