+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Razor's Log

Razor's Log

Hello,

Does anyone have any experiences, thoughts, recommendations, anything about ADHD/ADD?
    Any insight will be appreciated.

Thank you
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    i'd say try to avoid stressful situations, having too many things on your mind, worrying about many things; take regular breaks from work, take walks in the park/forest/nature; relax, practice meditation, yoga and avoid mainstream medication used to treat ADHD/ADD

Children labeled ADD
    behave normally when
    involved in activities
    that interest them.
    Code:
    http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/thomas_armstrong2.html
    In numbers unmatched in any part of the world, U.S. school children are diagnosed and drugged in a quid pro quo association between education and for-profit psychiatry and psychology. Labeled "brain-diseased", the schools have an excuse for the rampant illiteracy and unpreparedness, cause enough for the mounting unhappiness and failure of the children, while psychiatry/psychology gains lifetime patients.
    Code:
    http://whale.to/a/baughman3.html
    Thanks

avoid mainstream medication used to treat ADHD/ADD
    Far from my mind. I'll never take that stuff.

relax, practice meditation, yoga
    That's the tricky part. I can never just stand still, I have to do something, anything all the time.

avoid stressful situations, having too many things on your mind, worrying about many things
    Good advice but sometimes it's hard to respect these.

I have been reading a lot online and it seems many people diagnosed with this disorder are using lists (sticky notes, notepads, journals, etc.) to keep their mind free and also prevent them from forgetting. I don't understand how this helps, I could just write these on something and forget about them too. It's not binding me to it.

What I've discovered so far is that I'm only doing things which motivate me. Gaming for instance is a huge motivator, and one I'm trying to replace with something else. I only play RPG games because they sort of reward you with items and character specs once you level up. It kind of keeps you going (like the horse and the carrot attached to it's head dangling in front of him). In real life, nothing motivates you as much as a game for instance.
    I need to create something like a game in my life: do x, get y, all the time but I have no idea what to give myself.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 10.10.17 at 13:12.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    Children labeled ADD behave normally when involved in activities that interest them.

In numbers unmatched in any part of the world, U.S. school children are diagnosed and drugged in a quid pro quo association between education and for-profit psychiatry and psychology. Labeled "brain-diseased", the schools have an excuse for the rampant illiteracy and unpreparedness, cause enough for the mounting unhappiness and failure of the children, while psychiatry/psychology gains lifetime patients.
    #relatable

When I was 6, first year of primary school, one of my teachers made me go to a psychologist because of my constantly "disruptive" behavior. There wasn't a day when I didn't fuck up somehow, except that I wasn't worse than any other kid being forcibly clustered with a couple dozen strangers for several hours a day, she obviously just had it with me.

Sessions went on, and despite the facts I'd been able to read and write since age 3 and the IQ test they made me do came out above average, it turns out I had ADD and anxiolytics were my only hope of ever leading a normal life.

Thankfully my father didn't give me any pills and didn't take me to the shrink anymore after that, because he believed in me and knew I was just fine! Or at least that's what he told me, except he regularly ranted about what a nightmare having to take me there twice a week was (despite the facts it was just a ten block trip and he was unemployed at the time), and we didn't have a lot of money to buy meds with, so I'll never know. Thank you dad for always being a positive influence in my life, I'm sure these phrases didn't leave any lasting damage.

Anyway, here I am now, and it seems I've been doing fairly well so far. I don't know if these fake diagnoses are part of a conspiracy or just overzealous psychologists, but neither changes the fact they occur.

Or, as you posted once:

Scenario 3: Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
    1955 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
    2010 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD... The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I have been reading a lot online and it seems many people diagnosed with this disorder are using lists (sticky notes, notepads, journals, etc.) to keep their mind free and also prevent them from forgetting. I don't understand how this helps, I could just write these on something and forget about them too. It's not binding me to it.
    Well, just keep the notepad with you at all times and make an habit of writing the things you need to remember.

I only play RPG games because they sort of reward you with items and character specs once you level up. It kind of keeps you going (like the horse and the carrot attached to it's head dangling in front of him). In real life, nothing motivates you as much as a game for instance.
    I need to create something like a game in my life: do x, get y, all the time but I have no idea what to give myself.
    Life's an RPG... sort of. Well, most of the time there are no immediate and/or tangible rewards for quests, but that's just how it works.

You could make a "quest list" of things you need to do, categorize them by difficulty and see how many easy or hard ones you can do within a day. Tackle each item focused and one at a time - this is going to be the hard part, because it's easy to get sidetracked, but it can be done. Don't try to do everything at the same time. Know that it's okay to take breaks because they will make you work better when you resume your work (and no, there is no "better" use for that time you could be engaged on).

Keep yourself busy with productive tasks and you'll be able to transform something you thought was a problem into work and responsibility - getting things done.
    Thanks

Life's an RPG... sort of. Well, most of the time there are no immediate and/or tangible rewards for quests, but that's just how it works.
    You could make a "quest list" of things you need to do, categorize them by difficulty and see how many easy or hard ones you can do within a day.
    It won't work unless I get something in return. Money is the only thing I can think of. 10$/small task, 50$ medium and 100-300$ for big stuff that I have always postponed.
    If I did that everything would be done in a heartbeat. The only problem is the more things I get done the more money I need to spend.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    It won't work unless I get something in return. Money is the only thing I can think of. 10$/small task, 50$ medium and 100-300$ for big stuff that I have always postponed.
    Well, maybe freelancing is for you then.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by anon
    there's an immediate senses gratification effect in all your choices, though some results may not be enjoyable or pleasant, some are taken for granted, some are considered neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    It won't work unless I get something in return.
    are you saying that health and peace of mind aren't good enough?
    Thanks

are you saying that health and peace of mind aren't good enough?
    These are long-term rewards. I am only motivated only the 'now', the short-term rewards. The long-term rewards is like saying "why should I do this today if the reward in at some point in the future? I may be dead in the future, so why bother?"
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    These are long-term rewards. I am only motivated only the 'now', the short-term rewards.
    they are both short and long term at the same time, you get 'health and peace of mind' now or today and by keeping such lifestyle, it continues during the following days and also far in the future
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    there's an immediate senses gratification effect in all your choices
    I mean, besides that
    Thanks

Well I did some more digging around and things are not so good. If I don't do something to change things or postpone them now, it may not be a future left.
    I need a lot of external stimulation, of any kind. Everything done needs to finish in instant gratification. And my mind has to be busy, at all times.
    This will postpone whatever it is untill I come up with a more permanent fix.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze, QBT, Deluge
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 9/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss187
    not sure if this is for yourself or else, but since my son changed school to a Dalton one (Method of education is similar to Montessori), he's much more happier, can focus much longer period.

we also bought him a kindle and he reads a lot now, he's a more relaxed during reading time. He can read for 2 hours, which is quite amazing for him.

And we also put him in a music school to learn playing guitar. But it took 3 teachers until a good match (a great match in this instance) was found. but he won't more than half an hour a day.
    Last edited by molosse; 31.10.17 at 22:39.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

anon (02.11.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by molosse View Post
    Montessori
    Thanks for posting this, I've taken pedagogy classes but never heard of this methodology before.

I think that as an educator, keeping students engaged is essential if you want to get anywhere (some classes have it easier than others). It looks like Finland uses some "revolutionary" paradigms that are really effective, whereas in my country... well, public schooling at least has really gone downhill in the last ten years.
    Thanks

Please rename this thread to Razor's Log . And I'm dedicating it to my own issues, 90% of them involving the way my mind works. What I'm trying to achieve here is to find someone, anyone with an idea, something that will help me understand what I currently do not understand. I given up on trying to solve the issue alone, and public forums mostly do nothing for me. But maybe it will be different here.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast