+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What browser do you use and why? -2017

What browser do you use and why? -2017

What browser do you use and why?

I'm using Firefox due to its large addon base and configurability. It takes a lot of RAM when opening many tabs but well for it for the functionality alone.

What do you guys use?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    qBittorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 9/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss188
    I use Google Chrome, because it's the one which support the most js and css features. And i like the developper experience it provides. Plus, there is a lot of awesome project based on chromium (Electron is one of them).

Some peoples says "oh my god do you realyse that google know anything that you do", i agree but i don't really care. Anyway google know you better than anyone based on what you search for on google. Using google chrome won't make any differences on this point. Especially if you have an android phone...

Like Firefox, it use quite a lot of RAM, but with the nowadays config with 8 up to 16Go available RAM, who cares.

I love chrome (mostry for the developper experience) but i'm also using it because i'm used to, i know where things are.
    Last edited by anthony-joal; 28.08.17 at 20:33.
    This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Mainly Chrome. But I also use FF. I'm too lazy to import bookmarks to Chrome :p
    Thanks

P2P Client
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss422
    I use Google chrome and opera 12.18 (with anon's profile). I used to use firefox but it was very slow compared to chrome and i uninstalled it after 2 weeks.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

(26.01.21)

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss2059
    I use Chrome mainly, I don't know exactly why. Perhaps I like it's simplistic way etc, and it rarely crashes. I also FireFox for browsing trackers exclusively, I still have the paranoia from CSS leak era. Basically I like chrome but don't love it.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

H265 (30.08.17)

Firefox, because the private browsing mode includes tracking protection to block third-party ad trackers, and Flash has been all but killed off. Other recent changes include the introduction of Quantum Compositor to improve stability, redesigned tabs which are more informative, and compact themes (I think after the v54 release).

I'm current running the 55.0.2 version and the stability of the browser may have been improved, but little has been done to boost the performance which continues to feel lackluster (especially if you have multiple addons). While browsers have moved forward a great deal in recent years, Firefox hasn’t advanced quite as much as the competition. There are interesting little quirks like retaining separate address and search bars, for instance, and the rounded tabs are like stepping back in time. However, this is where the addons make it up!

This doesn't mean I don't use other browsers. I have Chrome, Chromium, Opera Mini and UC. I also have Tor but that shouldn't count since it is used to access the tor network.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

(03.01.21) , H265 (30.08.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    1. Opera 12.18 - trusted sites, everyday browsing that doesn't require JavaScript, cookies or anything fancy. Small, fast, can open hundreds of tabs and run for months without a problem.
    2. ungoogled-chromium and Internet Explorer 11 - YouTube, sites that do require JavaScript and cookies.
    3. Pale Moon - webmail, sites for which I want to manipulate my browser fingerprint.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the (still slow) Firefox after they drop support for non-WebExtensions addons this November.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

H265 (30.08.17)

I am using Nightly -alpha version of Firefox-, for it is faster than Stable version of Firefox and all the browsers. (also values privacy)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tO2kaSO.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	18202
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rPKFsn.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	18203
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

cloud99 (31.08.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Anyone tried Firefox Quantum? Apparently they made some major changes to rendering and JavaScript speeds which put it head to head with Chrome. However, it doesn't support most of the addons that make Firefox worth using?

It's in beta right now, they plan to release it next month.
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

H265 (03.10.17)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Never heard of it! But if they decide to support addons, might be worth trying!
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

(03.01.21)

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Anyone tried Firefox Quantum? Apparently they made some major changes to rendering and JavaScript speeds which put it head to head with Chrome. However, it doesn't support most of the addons that make Firefox worth using?

It's in beta right now, they plan to release it next month.
    Tried it and it's just a big fat wow. really nice UPGRADE
    Thanks

19. Who Said Thanks:

(05.01.21) , anthony-joal (08.10.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    if they decide to support addons, might be worth trying!
    They will still be supported, but only if written using the new WebExtensions API. This will make it much easier to port addons from other browsers, but also severely limit the functionality they will be able to provider compared to the XUL-based ones we're all used to right now.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...7-end-of-2017/
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Transmission
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss39
    I know this thread is old but what browser + extension combo do you guys use for privacy purposes ?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    List
    I no longer use Internet Explorer 11 or anything that requires its rendering engine in any capacity, since its standards compliance is no longer good and Microsoft has semi-disavowed it, security updates only. The only exception may be very old or buggy sites that don't work on anything else, but that is exceedingly rare nowadays (even so, did I mention I had to do my taxes on a portable version of IE 6 until early 2016 because the tax agency's site didn't work on newer browsers?).

By the way, the instance of Opera 12.18 I'm typing this from has been running nonstop with everyday usage since November 2019. Still super fast with no memory leaks But apparently that wasn't good enough for its makers...

Quote Originally Posted by MongoD View Post
    I know this thread is old but what browser + extension combo do you guys use for privacy purposes ?
    Tor Browser is the best here. You can also use it without Tor, in which case you'll have all security and privacy features and patches, but without the anonymity provided by the Tor network.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Transmission
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss39
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread