+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone tried Qubes OS?

Anyone tried Qubes OS?

I have told many times before that moving to linux or mac is somewhat impossible due to some applications and functionality that are not available in these OSes. In reality, each OS has its own benefits but sometimes you need the best of both worlds. I think I found it as Qubes OS. From what I've read about it, this is like a hypervisor type 0 installed on a system, from which all applications run in a virtualized environment in their own OS environment. An example: Qubes OS (Linux) executes Windows Office Excel by launching Windows OS first and then launching Excel within it. All applications runs like this, and is capable of running Windows, MAC, and Linux.

If this is correct, and is working, millions will be able to move from windows, including myself which I am stuck. Games will work virtualized, applications like Adobe Suite, Office, Autocad will no longer pose problems, there will be no more infections, no more systems requiring reinstall, work will be in all OSes at the same time. Think of the possibilities.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 31.07.17 at 11:14.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Uppon1954 (02.08.17)

Hey, I had come across EyeOs with VM environment which gave users the ability to run multiple Os supported applications. This was before they (the organization) turned it into a virtual web OS. I think I came across it on some black hat forums wherein I was learning to reverse-engineer softwares. I was one of the many people who had signed up for the beta testing. So it is safe to say that this isn't the first of its kind.

These types of Oses work by compartmentalizing each part from each other and isolating them. They don't use virtual boxes through a single OS but runs directly on the bare metal of the hardware. This means they would need a different environment (aka virtual environment). So a hypervisor would be needed to run these VM environments, which would frankly eat through a lot of your resources. (This could be different for people who run fewer programs/processes).

One of the best advantages, one cacarryn easily discover that is would be harder to jeopardize this OS, whether in forms of malware or modifying. Of course, let us not forget its compatibility to run multiple programs despite it being released for a unique distributed operating system.

As for the games part, there is certain hardware compatibility with these OSes which can cause a problem with games since they require different processors, RAM limits, graphics card, Video Card, sound card, CPU speed, etc., which can coincide with the OS.

None the less, they do come with benefits; however, they do drag along some unnecessary baggage with them aka drawbacks.
    Thanks

But.. have you tried them, yet?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    But.. have you tried them, yet?
    Yes the live USB version https://mirrors.kernel.org/qubes/iso...x86_64-DVD.iso on a VM. So basically a VM on a VM!
    Last edited by cloud99; 31.07.17 at 13:08.
    Thanks

This does not help me. I need to know how applications like photoshop in a windows container works inside Qubes OS.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    If this is correct, and is working, millions will be able to move from windows, including myself which I am stuck. Games will work virtualized, applications like Adobe Suite, Office, Autocad will no longer pose problems, there will be no more infections, no more systems requiring reinstall, work will be in all OSes at the same time.
    Note that gaming performance under virtualized systems is pure suckage, unless both the hypervisor and your hardware support PCI passthrough (a relatively new technology at the moment) or it's a very simple game.

As for the question at hand, I hadn't even heard of it before, but if Snowden recommends it as he apparently does it must be good
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Will the portable version of Photoshop suffice? I'm have problems with the original version vs my file system (something about it being case sensitive) and graphics card. If I am able to run the portable version of Photoshop I will share a picture here!
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread