+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to force browsers to search google in english only?

How to force browsers to search google in english only?

Hello. I'm dealing with a long time problem but it started to get to me. Whenever I search in google for something it returns results in romanian language instead of english. I did make a search engine that forces google to set language to en-US, it seems to work well but in order to use it I must assign a keyword to call it.
    What I want to do is to replace the current chrome/firefox google search with my code. I have found no reference in google on how to do this.
    I'm also opened to other suggestions if you have any.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 25.07.17 at 10:18.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    In Chrome, just add your custom search URL and make it the default. In Firefox, this is either controlled by keyword.URL or the search engine selected in the search bar, depending on the version.

Code:
    > keyword.URL and originalDefaultEngine have been removed. When setting an
    > engine in the Search bar, it is also set as the search engine for the URL
    > bar and about:home. (Firefox 23 needs a restart for this to happen. Restart
    > not necessary on Firefox 24.) Searches from all three places work fine. I
    > tested this with the engines Firefox comes with and with engines installed
    > by the user.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss5
    What sempai anon said, except firefox might be a bitch. I had a hard time chaing the default search engine a while back because it has flags for both europe and us regarding this setting and I couldn't find information regarding againtst what major locale was firefox compiled against but since you're on windows I don't think you should have any problems.
    Again this is just a warning, in case things don't work this might be why.

Also, why not go for a searx instance for them privacy perks instead of giving your information to google ? ( if you're logged into google all the time don't pay attention to me )
    And why did you not just go for google.com/ncr ?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    On Firefox, I prefer the bookmark method. First, disable all search options and engines everywhere. Then make a bookmark of the search URL (sticking %s where the search terms should be) and assign a keyword (which can and probably should be a single letter) to it. Afterwards, just type the keyword in the URL bar followed by what you want to search and press Enter.

This has the advantage that the browser won't second-guess you if you type something that looks like a search term - you have to explicitly signal that you want to do a search by typing the keyword beforehand.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (26.07.17) , cloud99 (26.07.17)

How do I disable the search providers? In the attahced picture, you'll see that i unchecked all providers but the default one still is shown and cannot be disabled.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	18064
    Last edited by Master Razor; 27.07.17 at 00:39.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    First, set browser.search.update false and browser.search.searchEnginesURL's value to an empty string. Then close Firefox, go to your profile folder, delete the contents of search.json, search.json.tmp and search-metadata.json and make them all read-only. Now the list of search providers will be empty and remain so.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (27.07.17)

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    You can use encrypted.google.com, never performing any country redirection.

And in a privacy point of view, there are some additional advantages to use encrypted.google.com:

If you click on an advertisement, and the advertiser's website is HTTP rather than HTTPS, Google will send the search terms for that specific query to the advertiser over HTTP. The encrypted.google.com domain will continue to exist and will not have that behavior: on that domain, advertisers only get to see the search that lead to a click-through if they use HTTPS.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/1...-more-searches
    Moreover, at least in the past, search by encrypted.google.com were not archived in history.

@ smugloli

And why did you not just go for google.com/ncr ?
    /ncr doesn't work anymore.
    Last edited by Renk; 14.10.17 at 02:21.
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (14.10.17) , H265 (14.10.17)

Quote Originally Posted by Renk View Post
    /ncr doesn't work anymore.
    It still does work to forces .com domain instead of others. I used this via a bookmark I created which still works however it does not appear in the url.

My method!
    Browser: Firefox
    Addon: Flagflox
    Customized Available Action: This is mainly for search meta-keywords of a page which are in english.
    Code:
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q={meta-keywords}&lr=lang_en
    You can change the language to match you needs.
    After the search query appears in a new tab, I remove the unwanted keywords and insert my desired keyword.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

Renk (14.10.17) , H265 (14.10.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by Renk View Post
    in a privacy point of view, there are some additional advantages to use encrypted.google.com:
    That article is from when HSTS didn't exist yet, this would have to be rechecked now. Most of us are probably using ad blockers anyway

Moreover, at least in the past, search by encrypted.google.com were not archived in history.
    You mean not shown to you
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread