+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Today I Learned... Thread

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    What about linux? Unmount the disk and directly send ATA commands?
    Not sure you can when you have the Linux kernel in the middle. HDAT2 has yet to fail me so far, so I'm clueless as to what to suggest here.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Today I learned that if you have some hardware you don't want to install drivers for but don't like seeing "Unknown device" entries, you can write a dummy INF to give them whatever name and category you want.

Code:
    [Version]
    Signature=$WINDOWS NT$
    ; You can find "Class" and "ClassGUID" by looking under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
    Class=System
    ClassGUID={4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider=%PROVIDER%
    ; Date format is MM/DD/YYYY
    DriverVer=11/10/2017, 1.0.0.0

[SourceDisksNames]

[SourceDisksFiles]

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
    %PROVIDER%=Generic,NT.6.1,NTamd64.6.1,NT

; I tested this under Windows 7 x64
    ; The "NT" section may be a catch-all, but if it doesn't work just change the Windows version number accordingly

; Replace all instances of "ACPI\EXAMPLE0001" with the device's hardware ID
    ; You can find that by checking its properties in the Device Manager -> Details -> Property: Hardware Ids
    [Generic.NT]
    %Desc%=Needs_NO_DRV,ACPI\EXAMPLE0001

[Generic.NT.6.1]

[Generic.NTamd64.6.1]

[Needs_NO_DRV]
    Include=machine.inf
    Needs=NO_DRV

[Needs_NO_DRV.Services]
    Include=machine.inf
    Needs=NO_DRV.Services

[Strings]
    PROVIDER="Generic"
    ; Edit this to whatever you want
    Desc="Dummy Driver"
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (20.11.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    You can apply update patches to an offline Windows install using DISM and it works even if Windows Update is disabled, damaged or absent altogether in the target system, as long as TrustedInstaller isn't.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (20.11.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    You may not know some of these...
    • Entering the BIOS setup utility with a parallel printer connected to your computer, and pressing the Print Screen key, will do exactly that.
    • Create a new text document. Type ".LOG" in the first line and nothing else. Close it. Open it again and Notepad will automatically append the current time and date.
    • HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Once - no entry in this registry key or its HKLM equivalent will run if you boot into safe mode, unless its name starts with an asterisk.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (21.11.17) , Master Razor (20.11.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Today I learned you can add support for 128 and 256-bit AES to Windows XP by stealing some files from POSReady 2009! It's something

Removed aes256.zip (306 KB). See http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?t=33804
    Thanks

After 1 month of struggle, today I found out that: while your email provider's web account works with any password, your outgoing/SMTP server will reject any password bigger than 24 characters. This is true for some providers, the most popular being yahoo mail. POP/IMAP works with any password length but SMTP does not. The server truncates the password, and as such your 100-char password is reduced to 24 chars.
    The error messages were ambiguous, of course, and the web is full of incompetents, of course.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 25.12.17 at 23:03.
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

anon (26.12.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    That's interesting. Doing a little search, it seems that authentication was an afterthought when designing SMTP, which may explain this behavior.
    Thanks

Microsoft screws up again!

So, I am currently dual booting windows and linux --I have to, in order to fully move. Now, linux will not automatically map ntfs partition if it detects an incorrectly unmounted partition. Whenever you shutdown windows, via the guy button, it uses fastboot, i.e. not fully shutting down/rebooting. And thus will cause issues with linux. The only to get passed this is to use shutdown.exe /s or shutdown.exe .r.

I am gettting so tired of this. My fstab is fully functional, 2 weeks ago, linux wouldn't boot because of it, because this crappy microsoft feature.
    At least I fixed my dual booting. Last month a complete dual boot took 10 minutes, now it's down to 2 minutes. I dual boot every hour or so.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Whenever you shutdown windows, via the guy button, it uses fastboot, i.e. not fully shutting down/rebooting. And thus will cause issues with linux. The only to get passed this is to use shutdown.exe /s or shutdown.exe .r.
    Or you can turn it off in the power settings.

I am gettting so tired of this. My fstab is fully functional, 2 weeks ago, linux wouldn't boot because of it, because this crappy microsoft feature.
    At least I fixed my dual booting. Last month a complete dual boot took 10 minutes, now it's down to 2 minutes. I dual boot every hour or so.
    If something in your Linux really needs files from the NTFS partition, you can add errors=remount-ro to its mount options. That way, it's guaranteed to be at least readable.
    Thanks

Or you can turn it off in the power settings.
    I did, it's not working.

If something in your Linux really needs files from the NTFS partition, you can add errors=remount-ro to its mount options. That way, it's guaranteed to be at least readable.
    You are missing the point here. If I mount a drive, I expect it to be mounted with the options I specify, read and write. Not relying on at least is writable.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    I did, it's not working.
    Let's try something different

Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /v HiberbootEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0 /f
    powercfg -H off
    Thanks

Today i learned that on some graphic cards, the card's ports are labled on its bracket. On my card they labeled as A, B, C, D1 and D2. On such cards, on a multi-monitor setup, port 1 or A is always used for BIOS/POST output. And if you card has 2 DVI ports and they are labeled A and B, you cannot use port B unless port A is used.
    Keep in mind this information because google doesn't have any record of it.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    You can run chkdsk, defrag and dd on volumes without a drive letter by using their GUID instead, which can be found by running mountvol.
    Thanks

Today I learned that the settings set by hdparm are temporary and must be re-set at every system boot. This is true for desktops. For laptops, however, the settings are re-set whenever the ac adapter is plugged or unplugged. Turns out that laptop manufacturers use these settings to save battery power.
    I solved the above by adding an external script that is executed on power events. I used to use windows on my laptop and I never figured this out.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Today I learned that the settings set by hdparm are temporary and must be re-set at every system boot. This is true for desktops. For laptops, however, the settings are re-set whenever the ac adapter is plugged or unplugged.
    This sounds more like your OS has power management settings that reset those values. My experience on this matter is as follows.

• 90% of desktop (3.5") disks remember their APM and AAM values across power cycles and software resets.
    • 100% of laptop (2.5") disks forget them after being power cycled or powering up from standby mode.
    • Additionally, Toshiba 2.5" disks forget their settings upon a software reset (which is done on reboots; this was such an unpleasant surprise) and handle APM in a non-standard way, where 255 is simply higher than 254 as opposed to disabling the feature altogether, which is the expected behavior. So there is no way to turn it off on those.
    • Additionally², Western Digital disks have a proprietary feature called Idle3 which stacks with APM and must be turned off using a MS-DOS program or idle3ctl on Linux.

Head parking is useless, the savings achieved by it are negligible and do not compensate for the delays and wear they cause. HIPM and DIPM are more interesting, they do not impair performance and save around 1 watt on idle disks.

So! Performance, peak current consumption and power management aggressiveness considered, my brand preferences are, from best to worst: Seagate > HGST > Western Digital > Toshiba.

Also, today I learned how to operate a balanced draft stove
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (08.06.18)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast