+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Today I Learned... Thread

It's too bad simplix is not creating these packs for all other operating systems. At least XP and 7 should be updated.

@anon
    What would be the best way to update XP? nLite to slipstream for sure but how do you get all the updates from SP3 until preset? I don't want t download them one by one...
    Last edited by Master Razor; 25.07.17 at 14:13.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    @anon
    What would be the best way to update XP? nLite to slipstream for sure but how do you get all the updates from SP3 until preset? I don't want t download them one by one...
    Oops, I didn't notice this edit until now. The answer is nLite, of course. Just go to xdot.tk to get a batch file that downloads all updates released after Service Pack 3, then add all of them to your list of slipstreamed updates, sorted by KB number in ascending order.

Today I learned that you can "[s]et up an environment variable called SSLKEYLOGFILE that points to a writable flat text file. Both Firefox and Chrome (relatively current versions) will look for the variable when they start up. If it exists, the browser will write the values used to generate TLS session keys out to that file."
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

As a coder, I am amazed at how much the dash character is used in naming filenames and naming language constructs such as classes, functions, variables... .
    It is a know fact that the recommended delimiter is a underscore. Besides the aesthetics, it also treats multiple words as one (double-click selection). However, when used in webAPI, the delimiter should be a dash. Web crawllers indexes dashed words as separate words.
    I have never named any file with a space or a dash. Always use underscore for everything.

Still I'd like to know why this is. Why does an OS treats lorem_ipsun as a whole while lorem-ipsun as separate? Is this an OS setting, a character set limitation/feature, or what?
    Thanks

I just found out that Windows 10 v1703 is the only version/edition of windows that supports RDNSS. The RFC was made in 2010 yet they implemented it in 2017, DIE MICROSOFT!!!! DIE!!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    I just found out that Windows 10 v1703 is the only version/edition of windows that supports RDNSS. The RFC was made in 2010 yet they implemented it in 2017, DIE MICROSOFT!!!! DIE!!
    They also implemented a robust dual TCP/IP stack which was responsible for single-handedly increasing IPv6 adoption all around the world, and half a decade before that was trendy... but hey, fuck Microsoft, fuck the system

Note I'm not counting the IPv6 previews that were available for Windows XP, 2000 and even 98, because those were a mess.
    Thanks

They also implemented a robust dual TCP/IP stack which was responsible for single-handedly increasing IPv6 adoption all around the world, and half a decade before that was trendy... but hey, fuck Microsoft, fuck the system
    Yes but you forgot to mention something: that was then, this is now. If you look closely, no RFCs are followed anymore by microsoft. There are huge delays in any implementation if any. Windows is a mess.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 12.10.17 at 20:05.
    Thanks

A long time ago I learned that windows create a separate boot partition 100mb/200/mb/350mb/whatever the fuck has w10 now... on any drive that doesn't have a active partition bit set. I other words, if you format the drive from the windows setup, and select install, it will always create a separate boot partition. The documentation of microsoft doesn't specify (what a shock) that this behaviour applies to unattened setups as well.
    For instance, in a unattend.xml is set create partition 1 and partition 2. Now if you configure it to only create one partition and leave the rest unpartitioned, it will correctly use the C drive as boot and recovery. If you set it to create two partitions, it will set all your boot files on D drive.

Also learned that windows 10 security is severely crippled when installing updates. Most AV suites stop working (again, what a shock) when updating from a previous build to a newer one. Basically, anything that gets deep in windows and integrates with it, like an av for instance will not work correctly. So does large software suits such as adobe or autodesk. Performance issues all around.

And I also have a theory. I know that microsoft gives out parts of its windows source code to any country that refuses to use it unless is verified as safe. Now, the chinese and russians have had all windows source codes since the year 2000. The russians have control over the popular av suite kaspersky. Everything is tracked, either via microsoft or antiviruses. I suspect at the first sign of war many windows machines will stop working. A timebomb can come from anywhere.

That microsoft is so...
    Thanks

Today I learned that a remote desktop connection will automatically adjust to your main screen. If you want it to adjust to a different screen, you have to manually match the Display resolution in Display tab, Display Configuration to your monitor's display resolution. As far as I know, there is no other solution to this.
    Enjoy! (!@#$! microsoft, can't do anything right)

So, I configured my self these, which you will find them in the attchment:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_4.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	18346
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks

Today i learned that HDDs are not throughly tested using file copy or formats. Using these tests most HDDs survive but checksum operations will stress them out even more.
    My 2 test scenarios are:
    1. zero out format + copy 4GB+ files + 256SHA checksum each file and save result on hdd
    2. same as above only with small 4K files

I can't prove it yet but I suspect those checksums killed 3 of my drives.
    The result is HDTune test on all drives report 100% damaged blocks, on quick and full.

I don't have to test the obvious that these drives were new, right?
    And if I had the money, I would sue each of these so-called garbage manufacturers.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    I learned today that my Kingston DataTraveler G4 usb flash key is useless. It's suppose to be USB 3.0, but speed is slow as fuck!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    I learned today that my Kingston DataTraveler G4 usb flash key is useless. It's suppose to be USB 3.0, but speed is slow as fuck!
    Money yoco, money. The more you spend, the more likely you will reach to manufacturer advertised speeds.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Well I actually didn't buy it. I got it from a friend, but still until now I didn't realize just how poor speed is. My almost 10 years old Kingston usb 2.0 is almost faster!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    I can't prove it yet but I suspect those checksums killed 3 of my drives.
    The result is HDTune test on all drives report 100% damaged blocks, on quick and full.
    Tests done by something other than HDAT2 under a clean DOS bootdisk are baloney, you need to be able to send ATA commands directly to the disk and not have an OS interfering if you want to get meaningful results.

Also, http://wiki.osdev.org/ATA_PIO_Mode#Bad_Sectors
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    my Kingston DataTraveler G4 usb flash key is useless. It's suppose to be USB 3.0, but speed is slow as fuck!
    until now I didn't realize just how poor speed is. My almost 10 years old Kingston usb 2.0 is almost faster!
    A USB 3.0 connection is not a guarantee of ultra-fast speeds. It just effectively removes the 30-or-so MB/s cap from USB 2.0, but you're still limited by the clock speed of the flash controller inside the stick, and how fast the cells in the storage chip can be physically erased and rewritten.

Also, http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?p=329739
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Tests done by something other than HDAT2 under a clean DOS bootdisk are baloney, you need to be able to send ATA commands directly to the disk and not have an OS interfering if you want to get meaningful results.

Also, ATA PIO Mode - OSDev Wiki
    I agree but newer disks do not work correctly in DOS. Some are not detected at all while others report erronous data. That's one issue.
    The other, some mobos come only in UEFI. They do have CSM but are not working properly.

What about linux? Unmount the disk and directly send ATA commands?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 07.11.17 at 20:12.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast