+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Today I Learned... Thread

Today I learned that when copying drive roots with robocopy, the resulting destination is set a hidden attribute.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 02.07.17 at 20:28.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Today I learned that when copying drive roots with robocopy, the resulting destination is set a hidden attribute.
    Hidden and system. Also, if you choose to copy directory timestamps, the destination's is set to New Year 1980 for FAT volumes, and the volume creation date for NTFS.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Windows 10 ISOs are now over 5GB which means only Dual Layer DVDs will work from now on for both BIOS and UEFI. Rufus will not be able to make a UEFI usb stick from them because UEFI only supports fat32, and the iso, and biggest file in the iso is over 4GB. Once again: FUCK MICROSOFT!!!
    Thanks

Windows 10 ISOs are now over 5GB which means only Dual Layer DVDs will work from now on for both BIOS and UEFI. Rufus will not be able to make a UEFI usb stick from them because UEFI only supports fat32, and the iso, and biggest file in the iso is over 4GB. Once again: FUCK MICROSOFT!!!
    why not just use a larger sized USB stick and format it ntfs?
    Thanks

Because: UEFI only supports fat32
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    "Official system requirements were an Intel 80386DX CPU of any speed, 4 MB of system RAM and 50-55 MB of hard disk space depending on features selected."
    Thanks

Today i learned that there is no DVD+/-RW DL. This is really bringing me down...
    Last edited by Master Razor; 08.07.17 at 00:22.
    Thanks

Today i learned that microsoft decided to remove the file diskcopy.dll which is actually an image of MS-DOS 8.0/WinME crippled MS-DOS. Which of course the popular program Rufus was based on to create MS-DOS usb sticks. Now, if you're using Rufus on any other OS except 10, it will work fine, but on 10 you can only use FreeDOS.
    PS: People that say FreeDOS is better than MS-DOS have no ideea what they are talking about.
    Thanks

Faux Bold and Italic Typefaces:
    https://www.marksimonson.com/noteboo...evsTrueItalics

Everything done b y microsoft is fake, fake to the core! Not even the fonts are real.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    WinME crippled MS-DOS
    I used to resent Windows ME for removing access to DOS and real mode, but then I learned it was done to reduce boot times and make the system more stable (or less unstable, depending on how you see it). It also had other improvements like Windows Image Acquisition, HLTing the processor when idle, and the Windows 2000 TCP/IP stack. System Restore and file protection were also good ideas, they just weren't implemented well (perhaps due to the limitations of the FAT32 file system).

Anyway, I didn't learn this today, but hopefully it still counts

%windir%\System32\DriverStore\infpub.dat
    %windir%\System32\DriverStore\infstrng.dat
    %windir%\System32\DriverStore\INFCACHE.1
    %windir%\System32\DriverStore\infstor.dat
    %windir%\System32\DriverStore\drvindex.dat

Those files are very important and should never be deleted, no matter what anyone tells you. Doing that breaks automatic driver installation... forever, if you don't have a backup. I was not aware of this, and the only solution I knew was reinstalling Windows. It started happening once more this week; after cross-checking directory and registry key timestamps and trying different things, I realized that all this time I'd made things worse by deleting the driver cache at some point.

Restoring those files from a system backup made the previous week fixed it immediately, without even needing to reboot.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (16.07.17)

Today I learned what is "Windows Modules Installer Worker” and what is does! So basically it is installing updates in the back ground. I kill it every time it runs on Windows XP professional as it keeps warning me about some of the softwares and modules I have on my pc. I choose to install updates manually. However, I despise this "Installer".
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    You need to grab an untouched ISO of Windows XP SP3 and all its updates from Microsoft, then use nLite to integrate the latter and remove Automatic Updates, the Security Center and all that jazz. XP support ended three years ago, so there is no reason for it to check for updates anymore. On exceptional circumstances like the Internet Explorer 8 and ransomware vulnerabilities, just download and install the fixes yourself.

I did this for my desktop computer, except that it was with Windows Server 2003, and I went one step further and removed everything I didn't need (in addition to the removals and changes already necessary to turn a server OS into a workstation). The result was an install that uses just 500 MB of disk space and is super fast.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

cloud99 (26.07.17)

Since we're on the subject, what do you guys think of Maherz releases of Windows XP SP3? From here Windows XP Support
    Are they any good?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 23.07.17 at 16:19.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    I think I used their release a few time! Worked fine for me!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    I used it a few times when I needed an XP that was updated but otherwise untouched. It delivered exactly as expected, although right now it's missing the update Microsoft posted a few months back to fix that ransomware vulnerability.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (25.07.17)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast