+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Recruiter Interview Questions and Policies Thread

The Recruiter Interview Questions and Policies Thread

I'm dedicating this thread for discussing interview questions and answers, company politics, recruiter politics.

I'll start by asking a very simple yet complex question:
    When an intervier asks for references and want one colleague and one manager that you worked with, what exactly does that mean? Will they actuaslly check the references, or they just need them on the file for company policies? And if they check, how do they check, what to they ask, how are they sure the peroson they are talking to is actually how they say they are? I'd like a through response to this as I myself am in a similiar situation.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Will they actually check the references
    depends on the interviewer, on how they usually handle this issue, company/department policy on it, etc.

how do they check, what to they ask, how are they sure the person they are talking to is actually who they say they are?
    they could call the contact and ask for an opinion regarding the candidate, what was the nature of their business relationship, some positive and negative impressions and whether they would recommend them to another employer

more thorough checking (identity, online activity,...) is likely reserved only to specific kinds of positions, paranoid/secretive companies, etc.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (30.05.17)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    References are usually not verified unless you're either applying for, or claiming to have had, some big position. I do know someone who successfully left some fake ones on his CV, backed by prepaid mobile numbers and convincing voice acting, so if you want to have a backup plan...

You likely already have good ones, though.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (30.05.17)

Consider this scenario: I am required to give a phone number of my former boss. I give them the number of a friend that is instructed to lie for me. Do they actually verify the person they are talking to (besides asking are you Mr. Stanley, the former manager of Tom?) ?

References are usually not verified unless you're either applying for, or claiming to have had, some big position.
    So, this could be just a policy thing? Not going to check them, just to have them on file?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 30.05.17 at 20:12.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Consider this scenario: I am required to give a phone number of my former boss. I give them the number of a friend that is instructed to lie for me. Do they actually verify the person they are talking to (besides asking are you Mr. Stanley, the former manager of Tom?) ?
    Well, it all depends on how much they care. If they're really serious about verifying your would-be former manager's identity, they'll go to his company's site, look up phone numbers or e-mails and cross-check the data. As I said before, this is very unlikely to occur, however (especially since the higher-ups' contact information is rarely available to the public). If your friend precaches some responses about what "his" role is in the company, what your roles were and why you decided to leave, you'll be okay. Mobile numbers are so optimal for this act, you won't need to hire a fake secretary and use music on hold... although a fake WhatsApp may be useful

I recommend the book "The Art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick. It explains how tactics like these are used by social engineers for all sorts of goals, from relatively harmless to highly criminal.

So, this could be just a policy thing? Not going to check them, just to have them on file?
    Such is my theory and experience.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (03.06.17)

Well, in my specific case they asked for two people, one manager and a collegue so I gaved them 3: 2 colleagues and one manager. I was curious how much red tape was involved. They called all of them and gaved the a online form to fill with questions like how you got along with emplyer, what is skill direction, what was your experience with the person, etc.
    I didn't plan anything --didn't even tell my colleagues that they will be receiving a call. I'll see on monday what responses did they give.
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

anon (03.06.17)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Well, in my specific case they asked for two people ... They called all of them and gaved the a online form to fill with questions like how you got along with emplyer, what is skill direction, what was your experience with the person, etc.
    Interesting, they cared much more than I thought. Hopefully not to the point of overestimating how much people are willing to do to give feedback on you.
    Thanks

Last year I was near the end of an interview for a very big software company. I went through all 3 interview tiers (HR screening, tehnical test, manager meeting) and was very close to an offer on my 4th and final interview. I was thinking it was going great but for some reason they did not like me, and ended it right there. On my way out, on the 4th interview, the manager interviewing me said: "At least you met the team". What does meeting the team mean?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 06.06.17 at 13:30.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    On my way out, on the 4th interview, the manager interviewing me said: "At least you met the team". What does meeting the team mean?
    maybe it was a hint, as in: now you've seen the team, we want someone who's going to fit the team, as opposed to a solo kind of guy (individualist)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    I think it's just a polite way to say "you almost got there; better luck next time".

PS: I passed my last interview with flying colors and leaving a great impression but they've yet to call me, so there are no guarantees in this
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    I rewatched I Love You Phillip Morris recently, and this scene strongly correlates with our previous discussion.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread