+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Microsoft Issues WanaCrypt Patch for Windows 8, XP

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385

Microsoft Issues WanaCrypt Patch for Windows 8, XP

Microsoft Corp. today took the unusual step of issuing security updates to address flaws in older, unsupported versions of Windows — including Windows XP and Windows 8. The move is a bid to slow the spread of the WanaCrypt ransomware strain that infected tens of thousands of Windows computers virtually overnight this week.
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/05/...-windows-8-xp/
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (16.05.17) , Master Razor (16.05.17)

Surprised that nobody said how they got infected in the first place. Infected via.. what?
    Besides, microsoft is incompetent is these things.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    @ Master Razor:

Quote Originally Posted by wiki, WannaCry_ransomware_attack
    The WannaCry ransomware attack is an ongoing cyberattack of the WannaCry (or WannaCrypt,[3] WanaCrypt0r 2.0,[4][5] Wanna Decryptor[6]) ransomware computer worm targeting the Microsoft Windows operating system.

The attack affected Telefónica and several other large companies in Spain, as well as parts of Britain's National Health Service (NHS),[9] FedEx, Deutsche Bahn, and LATAM Airlines.[10][11][12][13] Other targets in up to 150 countries were also reported to have been attacked around the same time.[14][15] The worst-hit countries were Russia, Ukraine, India and Taiwan.[16]

Most previous ransomware arrives by phishing emails, and this is alleged to be the case with WannaCry,[17] although there still aren't any confirmations. However, once installed it uses the EternalBlue exploit and DoublePulsar backdoor developed by the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA)[18][19] to spread through local networks and remote hosts[20] which have not installed recent security updates, to directly infect any exposed systems.[5][21] A "critical" patch had been issued by Microsoft on 14 March 2017 to remove the underlying vulnerability for supported systems, nearly two months before the attack,[22] but many organizations had not yet applied it.[23]
    Thanks

Is this any member, who were by chance affected by this ransome-ware?

The coders ended up earning squat! Here are the three address. Have a look at the block-chain report!
    https://blockchain.info/address/13AM...kHSQuy6NgaEb94
    https://blockchain.info/address/12t9...9p7AA8isjr6SMw
    https://blockchain.info/address/115p...jcRdfJNXj6LrLn

By looks of the ransom paid one can definitely state that it turn out to be a fad.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud99 View Post
    Based on the account balances listed on those links, and given the current exchange rate of ~1800 US dollars to the bitcoin, I wouldn't say it was terribly unsuccessful.

Anyway, it doesn't matter whether the attackers are currently swimming in money or not. Huge losses are caused by lost information and downtime on compromised systems. This should be yet another wake-up call for anyone who uses computers: stay updated, don't click on suspicious links, make backups on a safe place.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

cloud99 (22.05.17)

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2059
    I know people who got affected, and they were willing to pay for the ransom, I told them not to, because even paying there were no guarantees that they would have their data back. Anyway, they gave up when I showed them the exchange rate for bitcoin
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    The exchange rate floats wildly, but is always crazy, especially considering bitcoins aren't even "real" money. Whoever saw them coming back in 2009 must have had an early retirement to a beach mansion in the Bahamas that was also made of solid gold
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread