+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas on where to store and run torrent applications non-stop

Ideas on where to store and run torrent applications non-stop

The question is a little ambiguous but I'll try to explain.
    For the past two years I have been using company infrastructure to run torrent applications and torrent clients. It's been great, had 3 laptops, startup batch file, with automatic reboot every 80 days, wonderful. Some changes occured and I cannot do this anymore.

Question 1.
    I need some other alternatives in order to host non-stop the following windows tools:
    • mratio
    • rmp
    • userenity

I only need a 24/7 windows machine that will just run them. No bandwidth will be consumed as there are no download or upload involved.
    Anything available for free? If not, can something like this be bought?

Question 2.
    I also need to seed some torrents from some trackers.
    Besides seedboxes what are other alternatives? And if seedboxes are the only way, what would be an ok 1GB/sec seedbox? I'm interested in a cheap one.

Thank you for your patience and guidance.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 27.02.17 at 22:45.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I only need a 24/7 windows machine that will just run them. No bandwidth will be consumed as there are no download or upload involved.
    Anything available for free? If not, can something like this be bought?
    Get some ultra-low power consumption computer that can run Windows like an Intel Compute Stick, Asus EEE PC or iPAQ. Install Windows and your programs, then hook it to your network (or some cracked wireless from nearby, with a static IP) and leave it running. That's as close to free as you can get, otherwise...

I also need to seed some torrents from some trackers.
    Besides seedboxes what are other alternatives? And if seedboxes are the only way, what would be an ok 1GB/sec seedbox? I'm interested in a cheap one.
    Can't help on this one directly, it's been a long time since I last used a seedbox and I don't know who the good players are now. However, if you want to do the research and price hunting yourself, make sure to also consider non-seedbox servers where you do the set up yourself, those can be cheaper.

And if you manage to get a Windows dedicated server with remote desktop, you could run your torrents and cheating tools there!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (08.05.17)

I have spare computers at my home that I could use for this but I cannot keep it 24/7. The power consumption alone is disturbing, as well as noises and other factors.
    Thanks

An intel compute stick will use hardly any power and won't make any noise.
    Or something like the Intel Desktop Board D945GSEJT.

Honestly, unless your electricity costs a ton, you'll hardly notice it.

I once did the math for my media center pc, which is running an Intel g3420, and it costs me less than 30 dollars a year to keep it on 24/7.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (08.05.17)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    I have spare computers at my home that I could use for this but I cannot keep it 24/7. The power consumption alone is disturbing, as well as noises and other factors.
    That's why I suggested a low-power computer. An ASUS EEE netbook uses around 12 Wh with the display turned off; if you remove the hard disk and replace it with booting from an SD card, you could even reduce it by 2 or 3 watts. The Intel stick uses just 2.45 Wh when idle. Round that up to 3 or 4 by adding the power required by the wireless radio or a USB Ethernet adapter, and it's still amazingly low. Noise is out of the question too, the tiny fans on these things are almost inaudible and don't even spin all the time.

Yes, you'll have to shell out money to buy them, but I can't think of any solutions that are completely free.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (08.05.17)

Getting a VPS or a seedbox isn't free either though.
    Getting the intell stick or netbook will be cheaper on the long term and offer far higher usability. (e.g. a seedbox will seed, but your netbook might control your Philips hue lights, play videos on your tv, play music on your stereo, web server, etc etc)
    Last edited by Sazzy; 01.03.17 at 12:57.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (08.05.17)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    More ideas: http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?t=24692, running a NAS, running an ownCloud, and if you're really buff, turning it into a Windows-based router replacement.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (08.05.17)

Getting a VPS or a seedbox isn't free either though.
    I know.

Or something like the Intel Desktop Board D945GSEJT.
    Are these part of those mini-pc's ?

An intel compute stick will use hardly any power and won't make any noise.
    But how will it work, exactly? I mean, it has plugged in a computer USB port, doesn't it? Does it defeat the purpose?

An ASUS EEE netbook uses around 12 Wh with the display turned off
    Yes, that will work. low power and very little heat produced.

running a NAS, running an ownCloud, and if you're really buff, turning it into a Windows-based router replacement.
    I'll look that up but I don't think windows can be installed on those.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    But how will it work, exactly? I mean, it has plugged in a computer USB port, doesn't it? Does it defeat the purpose?
    It comes with an AC adapter.
    Thanks

it has an HDMI port so you can hook it to a monitor by which it takes the power to boot, that's for the stick.
    There is others with an AC adapter (I remember Gigabyte made one) which can you use monitor-free

Also, you can use dd-wrt or OpenWrt to run the torrent client on your router, Currently all cheating tools can't be running on linux.
    Last edited by Lucius; 03.03.17 at 09:16.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (08.05.17) , anon (04.03.17)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    Also, you can use dd-wrt or OpenWrt to run the torrent client on your router
    If running RM+ and the others wasn't a requirement, I'd absolutely recommend this. A TL-MR3020 router costs less than $20, drains 0.6 Wh with OpenWrt installed (not counting whatever you plug in the USB port, of course) and can do just about anything, including seeding torrents.

If you're able to buy from abroad, there's a Chinese seller on eBay offering a custom build of the (even smaller) TL-WR703N, with twice as much RAM and flash space, for about the same price.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (08.05.17) , Lucius (04.03.17)

I am currently studying modding libtorrent so we can use the modded in Deluge, torrent or qbt.
    I just got stuck in how to control it generally without relying on the real client. I don't want to mod every client we want to support.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

anon (05.03.17)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    So, what became of this?
    Thanks

Well, running a router with OpenWRT to seed torrents will not work because you need lots of RAM and CPU to seed these torrents. We are talking about seeding 2000 torrents via mratio, RMP, RatioMaster, uSerenity. The RAM and CPU alone will kill any consumer-based router. HDD is no issue because these are just seeded with no files whatsoever.

I'm going to have buy a NAS for real seeding and a Intel Compute Stick, or Asus EEE PC or Raspberry Pie for 27/7/365 fake seed. Not quite sure which one to buy.
    At the time of writing this, money is scarce so no investment will be done.
    Thanks

23. Who Said Thanks:

anon (08.05.17)

P2P Client
    transmission
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss125
    I fake seed several hundred torrents 24/7/365 with an old 32 mb ram 266 MHz NSLU2 unslung 6.10 NSLU2-Linux - Main / HomePage browse using http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=31407
    Last edited by tr-cht-fx-242p; 08.05.17 at 20:25.
    Application error: warning -> battery failure imminent ~ shutting down NOW permanent == message to Earth -- finalized shudown code ... 6ikf9849l+!~:'?.|\
    Thanks

25. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (09.05.17) , Codec (08.05.17)

+ Reply to Thread