+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orpheus Network (formerly Apollo, Xanax)

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss2059
    Sadly no invites on the bonus shop.
    it's hip to be square
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by axanon1 View Post
    this tracker now has bonus points, it should be added on review
    I'll be pleased to add it if someone can upload a screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by alpacino View Post
    Sadly no invites on the bonus shop.
    Yes, it's only freeleech tokens and a custom title so far, but freeleech alone can already go a long way
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

axanon1 (14.12.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Apollo's been down for a while now. Last things I heard were "the sysop is missing and there is no backup", then "wait, there is someone saying they have a backup". Doesn't exactly inspire confidence... not to mention all the downtimes they had prior to this one really did a lot of damage.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze, QBT, Deluge
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 9/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss187
    that shit happens when you don't pay the server bill.
    still, the other admins could maybe contact the supplier and pay the bill O (sysop) hasn't.

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by My wife
    But then, why pay the bill on a site you don't control...
    Last edited by molosse; 04.09.18 at 23:15. Reason: wife, reading over my shoulder, says my comment is rubbish. Ouch!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by molosse View Post
    that shit happens when you don't pay the server bill.
    still, the other admins could maybe contact the supplier and pay the bill O (sysop) hasn't.
    I'm sure they would have done so if possible, but I get the impression the problem here was relying on O too much. A tracker this big needs to have redundancy and an emergency plan in case the sysop is compromised, missing or somehow unable to perform his duties, otherwise stuff like this will eventually happen. Not to mention sometimes dangers can come from within, like when pham thought he was the only person allowed to run PTP, and this resulted in the loss of their .org domain as well as a hefty chunk of donations when staff voiced their disapproval...

But then, why pay the bill on a site you don't control...
    Mrs. Molosse must not know about the 1999 passport.com renewal incident
    Thanks

P2P Client
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss422
    copy pasted from https://www.orpheus.network/ - APL will return as Orpheus

There is a way forward! (Update at 24-09)
    Although we never had access to any of the main Apollo servers or the domain, one of our staff had access to the IRC server. While browsing this server out of curiosity (Athena was bored), we stumbled upon a full site backup that was taken in June 2017. That is a long time ago, but we estimate that this backup still contains about 70% of all current torrents, and about 80% of all current users. We have secured this backup, and have confirmed that it is intact.

With this backup, it will be possible to revive a large part of the site with relative ease. Our current plan is to start from scratch, and to use this old database to regain the userbase and torrents. If you were a member of Apollo as of mid-june 2017, you will be able to receive an invite to Orpheus on the email address you used for Apollo. We will publish the details when the site launches. Stats (buffer, amount of uploads, notifications, ...) will be transferred to Orpheus as well.

Many people acquired huge amounts of buffer during the initial global freeleech and this created serious distortion in the economy. This will be redressed after we have crunched the numbers. While some people will lose varying amounts of buffer, they will still be in a comfortable position to participate in the economy.

If you signed up to Orpheus later, we will provide other options which to allow you to receive an account. You will need your original invitation email (if the email server was working at the time) or a screen shot of your profile page.

There will be no open signups.

The new site will start without any torrents, but as soon as you begin to seed your Apollo torrents on the new tracker, torrents that appear in the 2017 database will automatically be added to the site. This way, there will no dead torrents from the old site. We are developing a GUI tool that will work on all operating systems and with most popular clients, to mass-change all Apollo tracker URLs to Orpheus tracker URLs. A CLI tool for seedboxes and servers will also be provided.

We still hope that the original sysops will make the final database dump available to us. If that happens, we will replace the 2017 database with the newer one, allowing more members to join easily and more torrents to be rescued.

The ETA for getting the site up from this point is 2 weeks. We realize that this is a week longer than originally planned, but a lot of code needs to be written and tested in order to ensure a smooth transition.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

anon (27.09.18) , alpacino (27.09.18)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Long, repeated downtimes, then restoring from a 1 year old backup... well, maybe things will be better this time.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    I renamed the thread to reflect their latest name. Anyone wants to do an updated review?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12