+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD-ROM/DVD-ROM tray doesn't open issue

CD-ROM/DVD-ROM tray doesn't open issue

I'm dealing with a well-known issue in the optical burner world but nobody seems to have a sollution for it.
    On some CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives, the tray will not open unless it is jiggled/moved a little first. The button responds, the led lights itself up but it cannot push the tray. It is trying to push it but cannot, and gives up. In 2010, I solved this issue by decreasing the head magnet strenght. See the following pictures:
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/b0WmGJKOfR0/hqdefault.jpg
    http://www.geekinspired.com/wp-conte...gnet-stuck.jpg

Unfortunatelly, this no longer works. And I am not even sure if that is the issue at all.

The weird thing is that I had this issue on all drives that I have bought. New or used --does not matter. I don't understand why this is happening.
    Recently, my dvd player is doing the same as well. I have 3 DVD-writers, and 1 DVD player and it does the same thing on all of them.

I have checked the following:
    • screws do not matter, does the same even if drive is outside computer case
    • weight does not matter, does the same even if the top of drive has nothing sitting over it

Thank you

PS: Yes, I still use floppies, cds, dvds and blu-rays. They are very useful and USB cannot replace them.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 16.02.17 at 19:42.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Have you tried percussive maintenance? A not too weak, not too strong hit from your fist on the upper part of the drives can solve this.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

That may work but what about a permanent solution? I don't wanna have to hit it every time I need to open the tray.

Also, what is the best way to weaken a magnet? Wrap it in what? Scotch tape, paper, etc...?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 17.02.17 at 09:12.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    That may work but what about a permanent solution? I don't wanna have to hit it every time I need to open the tray.
    This one can be permanent... you don't lose anything trying as long as you don't pummel your drives with a sledgehammer.

Also, what is the best way to weaken a magnet? Wrap it in what? Scotch tape, paper, etc...?
    If you're able to remove the actual magnet from the drive enclosure, dropping it to the floor repeatedly or heating it will both work.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (18.02.17)

Hitting it works one time only. The next time I try to open, it does the same.

Some observations:
    - if there is a disk in the device, the tray will always open fine
    - if I constantly hit the eject button it works on my 3rd try. pressing like a maniac without pauses
    - tray gets stuck only when opening. closing the tray always works fine
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    - if there is a disk in the device, the tray will always open fine
    - if I constantly hit the eject button it works on my 3rd try. pressing like a maniac without pauses
    I think we have two workarounds here

Have you made any attempts at demagnetization?
    Thanks

I may have some new insights on this. My SATA drives and the SATA drives at work are from the same year, same brand. Yet both of mine have this issue and their's don't.
    the only difference is that many years ago, the computer which I used these drives on were very hot. I did not have any cooling system and during summer it could theoretically heat up to 40-50 degrees celsius.
    Now, after I bought the new computer, I kept these drives on my wardrobe, which as logic would dictate: is much hot air rises.

The drives at work was always cool. I suspect the rubber belt of the drives has loosend.

That's all I could come up with and I suspect I am right.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Thankfully, getting a replacement rubber belt and testing your hypothesis should only cost cents and a few minutes of your time
    Thanks

Today i unmounted both of the drives. And took out the motor belt and cleaned it, wiped it with isopropyl alchohol and it seems to work, both of them.
    Most of the issues is not casused by that magnet at all, and it's stupid to weaken it as the CD might spin out of the spindle. The belt doesn't grip enough to open the tray, which is why it works with a cd inside, no magnet = no belt force = easy open.
    More posts here Lite-On DVD writer tray will only eject when a disc is in tray - [Solved] - Storage
    Last edited by Master Razor; 03.03.17 at 21:36.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

anon (04.03.17)

I'm so pissed of at this crap. They worked fine when I cleaned the belt up in march, I stored in them in a sealed box and today I mounted one of them in a machine. Tray does not open.
    When I fixed them I created a loop program that opened/closed them 50 times and they worked, damn it! What causes the tray to not work after a few weeks?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    I'm so pissed of at this crap. They worked fine when I cleaned the belt up in march, I stored in them in a sealed box and today I mounted one of them in a machine. Tray does not open.
    When I fixed them I created a loop program that opened/closed them 50 times and they worked, damn it! What causes the tray to not work after a few weeks?

I've got a Pioneer DVD-RW from 2005. Its rubber belt has never been cleaned or changed, yet this problem rarely happens with it.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    I'm so pissed of at this crap. ... What causes the tray to not work after a few weeks?
    hehe, its 'the ghost in the machine'
    you simply aren't aware of all the factors influencing the tray (behavior) - you thought it was the belt but it seems to be more than that
    Thanks

Well, as I said before, these two drives that give me grief were brand new and got in this state after not being used several years. Now, I can buy 5 drives right now but if they end up in the same matter as the previous two... I'm gonna kill the salesmen this time.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39370
    Workaround: always carry a paperclip with you, and use it on the eject pinhole to open the tray
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post

I've got a Pioneer DVD-RW from 2005. Its rubber belt has never been cleaned or changed, yet this problem rarely happens with it.
    It turns you were right and you didn't even know it. Based on my research, all drives from 2009+ have this issue. It's not about the magnet, nor the transmission band, and certainly not the obvious "if you don't use it you lose it". It's something related to the speed of the drives. Older drives went up to 48x or lower. These work, but everything that is 52x fails in time. Damn this conspiracy man.
    OEM drives experience this too but only those that can read/write at maximum speeds.

So, finally solved, thread closed, three cheers for me, zzzzzzzz....
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast